Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Choice of bike after CBT.

I did the CBT last year and have now booked lessons in order to do the DAS test.
    Now, I have a choice of 2 learner legal 125cc to purchase and practice on. Basically I don't just want to have lessons and then sit a test... I'd like to get some miles done during the gaps between lessons.

So the two bikes I can buy right now are:-
    Kawasaki BN125 cruiser type bike
    Honda CG 125cc

Both are roughly the same price (about £700) but which one, in your opinion is better suited for the learner like myself?
    The lessons will be on an ER-5 so I'm thinking the Honda will be of a similar seating style and maybe this would be the better decision?

I do like the look of the Kawasaki though and when I do pass my test it will be a cruiser type motorcycle I purchase (it's gonna be a commuter bike so I'd prefer a more upright sitting position) rather than say a Z750.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Choice of bike after CBT.

its all a matter of taste but......

For your DAS you are going to be on a bike like the ER-5.

Whilst this is the same style as the CG it is a much heavier bike.

What I am trying to say is the the practice you are going to get is road positioning / handling and general raod craft site. the actual machine handling (particulalry low speed stuff) you are only going to get in your lessons as the CG won't prepare you for the heavier bike wanting to fall over when slow.

Personally, I'd save the cash and have a few extra lessons then buy the bigger bike after you've passed.
    Nil Illigimtus Carbarundum

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Some good points there. Thanks.

So maybe the Kawasaki after all as it is a heavier machine and would help with all the slow speed stuff.
    Money (fortunately) isn't an issue. I'll take as many lessons as I need and not rush it.
    The bike will get handed down to the missus once I've finished with it but I don't want to pay too much I as intend to sell it on next summer without too much of a loss as we (hopefully) won't need it then.
    Is there an ideal learner machine then?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wulliec View Post
    yes, the one you are learning on,,,

why try to get used to 2 bikes when at the mo the one you are learning on is the important one, i agree with h00ker, dont get a bike, get more lessons if you feel you need more training..once you start the lessons its all over very quickly anyhow and you have done the test before you know it.

also its not just about the handling of another bike its the controls being slightly differant, you dont want to press the wrong thing on test day.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wakadoo View Post
    yes, the one you are learning on,,,
    Smart arse!
    I just remember from learning in a car back in the day that I would never had passed a test through lessons alone but I guess a bike isn't a car.
    Thanks for the input. Appreciate it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

just relax into it m8, going it alone could also cause some bad habits..

i see where youre coming from though, i got back to the training centre after my second days outing, i was using a honda cb500 and had a 5 min chat before leaving.

got onto my scooter (gilera runner 125), turned onto the main road out the gate, opened the thottle and 2 secs later it nearly threw me off.....i had tried to pull the clutch in to change gear on a rev and go 125 and as you guessed i locked up the back brake..

went in the car after that.....

have fun and good luck.......

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

If your plan is to sell on in a years time the 'standard' style of CG / ER bikes will hold their values better as their are always learners looking to buy.

I personally would never get a 'custom / chopper' style bike to learn / practice on. The entire riding position and handling etc is very different. Likewise, don't expect to manouvre cones on a modern sports bike wheelies are an instant fail

Use a machine suited to the task
    Nil Illigimtus Carbarundum

Thanks
    Karma Level

with the new test system in place, i would spend more on lessons and get it all done now.

mod1 test is a piece of piss (once you are comfortable on the DAS bike) - the mod2 test is better now but you will need lots of confidace with road riding and be happy on the das bike.
    lots of 125 riding can enforce bad habits, making your instructors life harder and you will loose money on buying a 125 unless you are given it.
    Last edited by tiggerbiker; 20th May 2009 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think buying a 125 is the wrong way to go, you'll be selling it very quickly when you start feeling how underpowered they are and how dangerous they are on uk roads. why not a second had bandit?

You'll pass your test on a more powerful bike! - when i passed mine a bought a sv650 and when i got on it i crapped myself at how much power i had but it did not take long to get used to it! i'd be more scared on a 125 now as the underpowered engine would probably get me in more sitations rather than out of them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wulliec View Post
    Some good points there. Thanks.

So maybe the Kawasaki after all as it is a heavier machine and would help with all the slow speed stuff.
    Money (fortunately) isn't an issue. I'll take as many lessons as I need and not rush it.
    The bike will get handed down to the missus once I've finished with it but I don't want to pay too much I as intend to sell it on next summer without too much of a loss as we (hopefully) won't need it then.
    I learnt gears on a CG125, they're very forgiving bikes.

When I passed my test, I didn't do any 'crash course' like most do, I also did lessons. To be fair with you, aslong as your brain is connected to your right arm and you have some common sense, you'll fly through it.

I found that riding between lessons was great, as you can get into the habit of fixing mistakes rather than conciously thinking about them. Just take note of what your instructor says that you're doing wrong, then go fix them yourself. Bollocks to paying £400 for a crash course. 4 lessons I did, I don't mean to blow my own trumpet here but at £20 a lesson, £80 was much better spent than £400.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you get a second hand (good condition) CG125 it will hold its value relatively well. But if you're passing it on then resale isn't an issue. They are solid reliable bikes and real work horses though. Many people use them for city commuting even after passing as they are so versatile. If you are commuting a long way and on open roads I would say a varadero 125 would be better suited as it feels like a bigger bike. Don't worry about moving to the larger bikes after passing, just take it easy for a few weeks and ease into the bigger power. You'll soon get used to how the bike feels and handles. Good luck with the lessons and test

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for all the info guys.
    Given me enough to think about. I'm kinda in the same mind set as Jaffster so we'll see what happens.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally I also passed recently and have just bought this:

Honda CBR125

Definitely feel I want to practice on this and get comfortable with all of the basics before having lessons for doing the real test. Its good fun tho but will be at least a couple of months before I start looking at doing the real test.
    Last edited by inspectercoley; 2nd July 2009 at 11:56 AM.
    [live=TaxiMike]TaxiMike[/live]

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by inspectercoley View Post
    Personally I also passed recently and have just bought this:

Honda CBR125

Definitely feel I want to practice on this and get comfortable with all of the basics before having lessons for doing the real test. Its good fun tho but will be at least a couple of months before I start looking at doing the real test.
    Funnily enough there is a fella a couple of miles from me who is looking to sell one of these on the 06 plate.
    I'm going to see it tonight.
    Can I be cheeky and ask how much you paid for yours?
    The one I'm going to see is currently on eBay and he is open to offers. What do you think?

Motorcycle

Thanks
    Karma Level

I paid £1300 which is probably about £100 too much but they delivered it to me from a way away and it was off a friend of a friend so wanted to give them a fair price cos it was well looked after and the guy has lots of motorbikes and is mechanic...

The new test is a lot harder than the old one so its important to get comfotable on bikes in general and using them in traffic before taking lessons. Sure you will pick up some bad habbits but will learn a lot just on your own (I am finding).
    Last edited by inspectercoley; 25th May 2009 at 09:53 PM.
    [live=TaxiMike]TaxiMike[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

well i just bought a Derbi cross city 125. they are quite a fun bike they are easy to ride and they have plenty power to get around, its also a big-ish bike so other people will see you are coming, also they are not that expensive to buy which is good
    Last edited by lou3b; 28th May 2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Picture did not upload