Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Bank Account Plus?

Hi Guys,

got my car breakdown cover renewal quote from AA at £135 for me and the mrs. Now, i was thinking about getting a "bank account plus account" with my bank who offer free car breakdown cover to its members. Its £14 a month and has travel insurance too plus other bits and pieces. I was wondering if anyone already has one of these and had to use its benefits and could let me know if they are any good/reliable.

Thanks in advance
    Q
    If I'm not back in five minutes... wait longer!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bank Account Plus?

I have the natwest gold account. I get phone insurance (for 2 phones I believe?!), fully comp travel insurance, and breakdown cover. Think it is £12 a month, but I get more than my moneys worth.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i get free european travel insurance with my alliance and leicester account. i've got a lease car with work, so don't need to worry about breakdowns.

sorry, doesn't really answer your Q - i suppose it depends how old you car is

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Ball View Post
    Hi Guys,

got my car breakdown cover renewal quote from AA at £135 for me and the mrs. Now, i was thinking about getting a "bank account plus account" with my bank who offer free car breakdown cover to its members. Its £14 a month and has travel insurance too plus other bits and pieces. I was wondering if anyone already has one of these and had to use its benefits and could let me know if they are any good/reliable.

Thanks in advance
    Q
    hello mate i work for HSBC so if you have any questions about the Plus account let me know because i deal with products for them all the time, well thats what they pay me for lol, but i mean if u go abroad a leat twice a yr then its worth it because you have free overseas cash withdrawals, plus u get roadside cover, but read the small print on the road side cover because i am not sure how much it covers you for. also you will get preferential rates on the regular saver account of 10% plus there will be some more perks if i remember tomorrow i will try get more information for you, OR call 08457 404404 press 0 until they put u through to an operator and ask for a bank account plus brochure and they will order u one, just make sure u know ur security questions.

Regards

Pratman

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the info guys - i think i just need to read the fine print in the car assistance. AA is getting too expensive now, and if i change my current account to a joint account i believe we will both have the benefits of the plus account for the price of one. Pity there is no phone insurance, that would be good.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pratman View Post
    hello mate i work for HSBC so if you have any questions about the Plus account let me know because i deal with products for them all the time, well thats what they pay me for lol, but i mean if u go abroad a leat twice a yr then its worth it because you have free overseas cash withdrawals, plus u get roadside cover, but read the small print on the road side cover because i am not sure how much it covers you for. also you will get preferential rates on the regular saver account of 10% plus there will be some more perks if i remember tomorrow i will try get more information for you, OR call 08457 404404 press 0 until they put u through to an operator and ask for a bank account plus brochure and they will order u one, just make sure u know ur security questions.

Regards

Pratman
    Sorry, did I read that right - HSBC give 10% on savings if you have their plus account?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The missus has just renewed her breakdown cover with the AA.

She had the reminder which had increased a lot on her previous year. She shopped about and could find it cheaper with others. Two days after the renewal date AA phoned asking why she hadn't renewed, after explaining the quote was much dearer and cheaper elsewhere they discounted it to cheaper than last year.

Worth waiting a couple of days to see if they ring you? (fingers crossed the cars keep running!)

I also have a gold account with LLoyds with free car cover but never had to use it.
    Rallying .... Because Football, Cricket and Golf only requires one ball.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bit late but when my AA was up a called them saying it was a bit expensive and got a reduction, always worth a try.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Not cheap if you have a breakdown more than 10 miles from your home!!!
    You arnt covered for being taken home, its happened to me cost me £150 to be taken 40 miles.
    read the small print.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Sorry, did I read that right - HSBC give 10% on savings if you have their plus account?
    only on the regular saver account which is where u can put in between 10 -250 a month for one year u cannot make withdrawals or lump sum credits to the account but as long as you have a standing order from your main account to your regular saver you will be entitled for 10% gross interest whereas if you dont have a bank account plus you will only be entitled to 8%

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just been reading the small print and dirtyrider is right - doesnt include home start and says you are not covered for breakdown within 1/4 mile of your home. The 10% regular saver does nothing for me - i get 8% currently with them, and the extra £30 a year interest doesnt really justify anything. Think i'm going to bite the bullet and renew with the AA but try to get the price down a bit. After consideration, the HSBC premeir service just isnt worth it. Thanks for your input guys!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pratman View Post
    only on the regular saver account which is where u can put in between 10 -250 a month for one year u cannot make withdrawals or lump sum credits to the account but as long as you have a standing order from your main account to your regular saver you will be entitled for 10% gross interest whereas if you dont have a bank account plus you will only be entitled to 8%
    Sorry but I personally feel these accounts are a bit of a con as if you look at the lump sum that will be in the account at the end - 3k and the interest earnt then you might as well have just put 3k in an easy access account. Less true now with interest rates falling, but was the case 9-12 months ago.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Sorry but I personally feel these accounts are a bit of a con as if you look at the lump sum that will be in the account at the end - 3k and the interest earnt then you might as well have just put 3k in an easy access account. Less true now with interest rates falling, but was the case 9-12 months ago.
    have to disagree with you there - if you have 3K sitting there then yes, it isnt great. But if you don't have have 3K and are regularly feeding into a savings account, the regular savers are much better than most instant access accounts. I think there is quite a good explanation on the MSE wesbite.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got a Barclays Current Plus or Platinum or something and have used the recovery service three times now, once when they used Green Flag I think, and I was pretty close to home. They recovered car back to a garage within 40 mins and no issues or charges. The 2nd time was in the Lake district and was just a stone stuck in the brake disc (made me feel like a twat for getting him out for that) but no hassle. Third was dead battery 20 miles from home and again no hassle (RAC the 2nd and 3rd). I don't pay for the extra benfits due to "being a good customer" but they've always been spot on.
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

We have the RBS Royalties thing. Use the travel insurance every year and we get 25% off all tickets (theatre, gigs etc). Use that loads as we tend to go with friends so get one free when 4 of us go. Saves us quite a lot over the year and sure we get stuff like roadside cover and shit that I have never used or bothered to investigate. Need to use your calculator really and see if your acount is value for money for your lifestyle.

Thanks
    Karma Level

the aa have put up their prices quite a bit. was it just breakdown cover you are after? or the extras that an account plus offers

Thanks
    Karma Level

We got 4 people full AA cover for £80 relay home start everything else phoned them up and asked for the vauxhall discount rates. about 75% off the normal prices.

As for the premium bank accounts I don't see why I should pay the bank to look after my money, they make enough money from what I have in there to pay for their admin etc. phone insurance great but its cheaper elsewhere, break down as above can be got for less, travel insurance can be expensive but the ones with the accounts tend to be europe only and basic cover at that single trip policies are not that much for europe even annual europ policies are not that much. so the cost of the benefits can be got for less than the fees they charge so in my case they can stick them.
    Last edited by Little John; 26th May 2009 at 01:41 PM.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    the aa have put up their prices quite a bit. was it just breakdown cover you are after? or the extras that an account plus offers
    Initially it was just the car cover because my AA quote came in quite high. The travel insurance looks quite basic and would need to be supplemented. From what i read above, it looks like the barclays one isnt too bad, but i am not going to go ahead with the HSBC one, and i can't be bother switching my current account to barclays. Just going to go with the AA and try to renegotitate closer to the time.