Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Canon EOS 500D or The Nikon D5000

I have been into my local Jessops and held both of these camera
    and there dont seem that much in weight or feel
    I do know the prices are dropping by around £125- £150 for the 21-5-09 on both
    But still stuck on which to go for , the Cannon as the 15.1 mp and the Nikon 12.3 Mp
    the Cannon has Full 1080P Hd Video and 9 point Af system and the Nikon has 720 HD and 11 point Af system
    I not really that bothered about the video side of the camera, I want to take picture's not make movies.
    I did like the 19 scene modes built into the Nikon and the LCD screen moves in a number of directions
    On the Nikon I also like the way it showed you a picture of the the aperture open and closing when you changed the aperture, being new to digital SlR and comming up from a bridge Camera this may help me
    With the Canon being 15.1 mp is this a big plus to go for, but will the 9 point AF system be ok to nikon 11 point

Has anyone got any of of these Camera's or advice on which to go for, I have watched youtube vids on them both comming out the same on points and read other reviews on the net, Listened to the saleman who was very helpful even showing me a sony Camera to consider with bult in digital lens convertor bult into the Camera but cant seem to make up my mind, I was not to keen on the Sony

Thanks for any advice
    360 bricked drives,red light errors,repaired,fault finding

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Canon EOS 500D or The Nikon D5000

Canon have the DOF preview button don't forget. If you can't feel much difference in the way they feel to you and that is not a factor it is worth looking at the lens ranges available to both makes. Obviously similar Sigmas are available to both makes but each have their own lenses as well. Canon do the MP-E65 which I don't think Nikon come near if you are into Macro work and they also do the f/4.0 range of L glass that Nikon don't seem to cater for in their pro range, i.e. they only do f/2.8 which are obviously a lot dearer. As far as bodies go though I don't see a lot in it these days.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for your advice the Camera I choose will mainly use at Dog shows taken Photos of Winner or friends Dog while in the ring other then that I may try some narure shots and family photo's
    I was going to get the Tamron 70-300mm Lense which you can get half price with it, and the
    Jessops 360AFD Digital Flashgun but still unsure which Camera you read so many reviews it makes you more confused
    I wont be rushing out to soon to by many more lenses for a while

The Fujifinepix S9600 with the Metz 36c 2 flash Bridge camera I use now, is pretty poor on working inside a building and I am always having to work with software to make the Photo Look better

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

by the looks of your post you've pretty much made your mind up
    forget the difference between 12 and 15mpx it isn't enough to sway the deal but if you like the features you point out on the nikon it won't be a bad choice
    i use canon strictly because i allready had canon anologue gear so stuck to the brand
    for my money there as good as each other the features might differ a little so go for the one you like the features of
    don't forget getting a camera body is just the begining you'l never have enough lenses

Thanks
    Karma Level

No Still not made up my mind because more of the reviews I read, one says dont get that ,get this one I have now been looking at the Nikon D90 which until today was the same price as the other two camera's but the Nikon 5000 D is now £650 the Canon 500D is £679 and the D90 £799 what the other was a day ago, I am wondering though as most of my Photos are inside buildings would it not be better to go for either the Canon or the Nikon at the new cheaper price and spend more powerful flash made for the Camera I choose instead of a Jessops one.

I see the Tamron 70-300 lense I can get half price does not have image stablilty in the lense so how will this effect use with a good flash but not on a tripod

it's a mind field going from a bridge Camera to a digital SLR I have not moved Today just ready review after review and looking at Photo's from each Camera.

I keep reading about the canon does not have Microadjustment feature on the 500d is this going to be a big deal.
    I dont think after I have brought my set up the wife will let me buy that many news lenses to soon anyway

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd say if you're not fussed with video forget both and get the canon 50D if you can stretch a little higher.
    Great camera and the higher build quality of a magnesium alloy body with a near 'pro' size to it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nearly £1100 I cant justify it for just the Camera and Lens although I dare say the canon 50D its a stunning quality Camera for that price, I am hoping to get a camera body, a couple of lenses and a flash

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

have you considered the canon 40d ?
    probably one of the best value for money bodies made by canon

Thanks
    Karma Level

No I will have alook thanks, I was told by the Guy at jessops today to have think about the Canon 450 to if I am not bothered about Video
    after the Fuji finepix S9600 I got and then read so much bad reviews and not happy with it myself for my needs.
    I just want to try and get it correct this time round with a SLR
    The guy in the shop did say that the Dgital proccessor I pick in the SLR will be about 20 times the size of the one in the S9600

He also said to look at Sigma flashes as he siad there very powerfull and alot less cost then Canon but then checked and could not get any for about a week

He was also saying how good for the Mony the Sony SLR where but I cant see how one at £400 can be good as one priced £600

Thanks
    Karma Level

You'd be surprised. It just depends on what you want the camera to do.

Pentax do some great value camera's. Canon and Nikon tend to grab the spotlights, but the competitors offer very real alternatives. Pentax have been on the business for years and are well worth a look as they will offer great quality without the big name price tag.

The reason I personally went with canon is the lens line up though. They have a massive range of quality glass. But that said, you only need a few lenses for amateur work.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

the sony alpha slr's are very good value for money then only question is how available the lenses are
    from what i gather there's quite a range but not to the extent of canon or nikon

as far as the 450d is concerned there a great camera BUT...

a little story ( it might save you some money )

just over a year ago i was looking to upgrade my 350d which was then 2 years old so i looked at the spec of the 450d and the 40d
    the price difference at the time was about 200 quid not to mention the 450d hadn't really arrived on the shelf yet so everything i was reading about them was pre release reviews
    at the time i had enough money to buy the 450d but not the 40d so when it arrived on the shelf i bought one
    my main interest is wildlife photography so i thought the 12 mpx would be an advantage over 10 mpx and the pre release hype boasted 3-4 fps burst so i thought that should do
    the reality is a little different the so called burst rate doesn't really exist and the difference between 10 or 12 mpx isn't worth writing home about
    when you hold and use a 40d you will notice immediatly why it demands a higher price tag
    it has a real 6fps burst mode it handles low light ( high iso noise ) much better than the 450d
    what i'm trying to say is it IS a much better camera than the 450d
    within 3 months i was the proud owner of the 40d and the 450 was sold on
    not because it's a poor camera i have some great shots from that camera but because the 40d suited my needs better for wildlife
    the 40d is like i say one of the best value bodies out there
    and like everything in life there i am very happy with my 40d and the fekers release the 50d
    same frame rate same body but 15mpx even better for wildlife ( closer crops higher detail ) so i bought one of those too
    i still have the 40d i considered selling to recoupe some money at the time but i decided to let my daughter use it ( she's a wildlife nut too ) so it'l stay for now

there all good cameras in their own right the 450d is a good entry level slr with all the features you'd want ( apart from the fps burst ) the 40d well you know my views on that body and the 50d if you want to spend the money

but thats my experience of canon
    on the nikon front the only cameras i can vouch for are the d70 wich my daughter used for a while quite an old body now but non the less it is still very good with a proffesional feel to it
    the d200 which a couple of freinds have and i would say a close match to the 40d and the d3 which is as good as they get

you say you want to take photo's of dog shows etc so in reality it's not really the camera body thats important here it's the lense you choose
    your not gonna have perfect light all the time and if there indoor they might object to you using flash ( dunno never been to a dog show ) so i would be looking for a body that you feel comfortable with and concentrate on the lens the faster the better ( f2.8 if you can afford it ) there are some bargains to be had in the second hand market if buying second hand doesn't bother you such as if you decide to go for nikon there is a 70 - 200 f2.8 lens that was the one to have a few years ago and can be got at a good price second hand now
    on the canon front they do a similar lens in there L glass range but they also do an f4 varient with IS which usually sells for slightly less
    these are the things i would be aiming for in the future
    the body isn't as important as the glass you put in front of it

if it was canon i would go for a 40d body only and spend the change on the best lens you could get your hands on new or second hand it wouldnt matter to me
    and the same with nikon whichever model you decide on

bloody hell iv'e wrote a book

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cosmicma makes a good point there. The lens is the most important part, the body is simply the recorder. Make sure you leave enough money back for quality glass. IMO its better to have a lower spec body with better glass - many great pictures have been taken on older bodies.

Also don't let the whole megapixel argument become to overpowering. People forget that the resolution is a rectangle area rather than a linear amount. By that I mean a doubling of megapixels is only a 30% increase in resolution.

That said, if budget will allow, get the best

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thankyou for your great Advice, I have had alook at the 40D and it seems to hold its price
    and have good reviews I was just worried I would be buying a older model camera with only 10Mp
    but a dare say a more robust Body with fast shutter speed

I can only see 40D bodys on Jessops for the 40d so what would you say would be a good zoom lens to go with it on the jessop site.

I use to have a Af pentax SLR many years ago and it was a great Camera but I have not seen Pentax Camera for sale near me for along time
    The only ones I see in my local Jessops are Nikon,Canon,Sony all the other Camera shops have closed down in the center, and they dont seem to carry as much stock as they use to,alot of flashes where missing, no nikon D90 to look at.
    I would need to go to Worcester or Birmingham to find more shops

At a dog show the odd Steward would stop you if you was flashing away like mad
    but if you take pictures at the correct time, or wait until they have picked the placing.
    I have been ok and as the weather gets warmer some will be outside so no flash
    Some owners the dog shows ask me to take photos for there web site or for some of the Dog forums, as I lot owners go to show on there own and dont get chance to get Photos of dogs in the Ring
    Go buying for me and see what you can buy for me at jessops site for about £1150 body, lense and flash

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

well the 40d at jessops is £599 new but if second hand doesnt bother you there's one in london camera exchange leamington spa at £480
    http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/SHdetails.asp?Item=8966

the jessops flash 360afd at £99 ( wouldn't put too much into the flash for the moment )

a Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5/5.6 Image Stabiliser USM for £399 wouldn't be a bad choice for what you want to do and your budget
    http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...2519/Show.html
    quite a versatile walk around lens

by rights i think it leaves you enough change for a C/F card

the ultimate lens ( without going stupid ) is this one
    http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...0794/Show.html

but it's way above budget but if you can find one second hand at a fair price you'd be laughing

if you were willing to travel you could get the 40d body from leamington spa £480 and the 24 - 105 f4 L IS USM from Mathers new but unboxed from kit for £749
    http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk/page9.html
    it would put you slightly over budget by about a 100 quid
    but it's better than anything jessops have to offer at the same price
    no flash i'm afraid with that bundle but i'd sacrifice that any day of the week just to have that lens

Thanks
    Karma Level

Big Thanks will have alook into them, but I think that lense for £1100 out my league for now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If I was buying from scratch now, knowing what I do, with a budget of around £800 for camera and lens the 40D would be an extremely attractive proposition.

At 10mb its by no means low in quality, I think you're getting hung up on the mp numbers, which isn't helped by the media which hype them up.
    Compared to a 15mp camera its only 15% less resolution, and believe me, you wont notice it unless you start cropping heavily. I would take the 40D over any of the entry levels (450D 500D etc).

But definitely keep looking around. Get to handle as many as you can in store and then when you make up your mind get a better deal online

Thanks
    Karma Level

argos are doing the Nikon D90 with 18 to 105 VR lens for £743.79.

worth throwing into the mix to add to your confussion at that price!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am now looking to go for the Canon eos 50D 18-200 lens
    with the Canon speedlite 430 ex II flash
    comes to £1309 phoned a jessops to check stock which they have but the guy said he we cant move on the price, he said we dont need to really he seemed a bit of a Txxser

Thanks
    Karma Level

what size Cf card can I get away with, I have a 2 gig here will that do
    or do I need to get a larger size

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast