Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Sharing files via wireless help!

Hi guys been scratching my head a while over this, whilst i'm not a PC guy at home i use a mac where i can connect wirelessly to any other mac via Airport and have access to another computers files and folders. What i want to know is how can i do this with a Vista machine, is it at all possible?

We currently have a wireless setup, but just need to access each others computers for certain files.

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by N3R0; 8th June 2009 at 11:24 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sharing files via wireless help!

I would set up a user account on the Vista machine that you can use to authenticate to on your MAC. Set it up and then give this account permissions to your shared folder. Then just map a network drive on your MAC to your shared folder. It will then ask you for your password and away you go. I set up a MAC Laptop for my mate a year ago and this worked fine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi sorry mate, i don't think i was clear enough, i don't want to connect to the Mac thats just for home use. We just have 3 PC's in the office all on Vista that we need to link.

I've tried setting up ad-hoc (computer to computer) connection in Network and Sharing Centre, all computers seem to be able to connect to it but i've no idea how to access the other computers from there? They don't show up in "view computers and devices"

Thanks

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ahh right. Its the same principle really. I would set up an account on each machine with the same user name and password. They should all be a member of the default WORKGROUP so should see each other OK.

Then all you need to do is set up a new mapped drive. EG if one PC is called officePC2 then your mapped drive would look like this.

\\officePC2\"insert the name of your share here" or if you don't have a share set up then the full file path such as \\officePC2\teamsfolder\

As long as you give the user account permissions on the folder that you want to share it should just work.

Sorry for the not too clear explanation, its easier to do than to write down lol

EDIT to add i would probably have one shared folder on one PC that is switched on all the time that you all work from to stop you having duplicate copies of work on each PC. Just make a backup of it at the end of each day onto another PC that's all.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi thanks for the help mate.

When i enter a folder destination then click finish, it tries to connect then says "windows cannot access \\officepc\files Check the spelling of the name,there might be a problem with your network" after diagnosing the problem it says this is not a valid host name???

I'm really not liking vista

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Have you tried turning your firewall off on your destination PC? Just to see if it works? You'll probably have to enable file and printer sharing on all 3 PC's first as i think that configures the windows firewall. Also when you are putting in your user name and password in you'll have to put the name of the PC that you are connecting to. EG if your new user account on PC officepc is called connect, when you try to connect to the share on office PC you'll have to put your user name in as officepc\connect and then your password. That way it authenticates using the right account.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep checked all that, but it just keeps coming back with "Check the spelling of the name,there might be a problem with your network" i'm guessing the problem may lay elsewhere...mmm

Anyone tried Airport extreme for PC's, i wonder if this will do what we want.

Thanks again for your help much appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok got this up and running now..thanks Livesey, you the man!..