Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default New TAX Levy - 50p Per month!

Tax to pay for fast net access

Every Briton with a fixed-line phone will pay a "small levy" of 50p per month to pay for faster net access.

The national fund created by the levy will be used to ensure most Britons get access to future net technologies.

The proposal is part of the Digital Britain report outlined by Culture Secretary Ben Bradshaw in Parliament.

The report also includes a pledge to curb unlawful file sharing by giving regulator Ofcom new powers to identify persistent pirates.

To encourage take-up of broadband services the government has appointed online entrepreneur Martha Lane Fox as a digital champion.

Mr Bradshaw told the Commons that the government intended to upgrade all national radio stations from analogue to digital by 2015.

It promised a "more robust" system of content classification for the video games industry.

The report, commissioned by the government last year and written by communications minister Lord Carter, offers a blueprint for the UK's digital future.

"Digital Britain is a statement of intent and ambition, a commitment to infrastructure and access, and an overdue recognition of the industrial importance of the creative industries," said Lord Carter.

The main points outlined in the report include:

• a three-year plan to boost digital participation

• universal access to broadband by 2012

• fund to invest in next generation broadband

• digital radio upgrade by 2015

• liberalisation of 3G spectrum

• legal and regulatory attack on digital piracy

• support for public service content partnerships

• changed role for Channel 4

• consultation on how to fund local, national and regional news

• £130m of BBC licence fee to pay for ITV regional news

One of the biggest surprises in the report was the promise to introduce a levy on fixed telephone lines in order to pay for fast broadband rollout to those areas of the country - estimated to be around one-third - which won't be reached by commercial efforts.

It will amount to a 50p a month tax for every household in the country with a fixed phone line.

"It is a contribution which we are asking people to make - it's six pounds a year - offset, as we make very clear in the report, by the likely continued reduction in headline prices because of the competitive market we have in this country," said report author Lord Carter.

Antony Walker, chief executive of the Broadband Stakeholders' Group, believes the tax will mean that 90% of the UK will be able to benefit from broadband of up to 50Mbps by 2017.

"It is a top-up subsidy for the last third of the country and must focus on those areas that would otherwise be uneconomic to deliver fast services to," he said.

He thinks it will eliminate the problem of a two-tiered internet where towns and cities benefit from fast speeds while rural areas remain in the slow lane.

But Alex Salter, from broadband measurement firm Sam Knows, doubts the levy will create enough money to bring next-generation access to every home.

"It answers the main question from the last report which was who is going to pay. This is less expensive per capita than similar schemes, for example in Australia, but is unlikely to generate the full budget required - this will still have to come from the providers," he said.

Communications minister Stephen Carter said that some £200m of funding would be spent to extend coverage to the 15% of UK homes which do not receive broadband at 2Mbps.

The government has pledged to complete this by 2012.

The majority of the money will come from funding ring-fenced in the BBC licence fee for the digital switchover.

Some of this money will also be used to support regional news on commercial channels.

Sir Michael Lyons, BBC Trust chairman said it would fight any changes to the licence fee.

Backstop powers

To combat the growing problem of illegal file-sharing the government has given greater powers to Ofcom and internet service providers.

It will allow them to identify illegal downloaders and pursue a "write and sue" approach for the worst offenders.

But the British Phonographic Industry, which represents the UK's record labels, was not impressed.

"The government appears to be anticipating its failure by lining up backstop powers for Ofcom to introduce technical measures later," said the BPI chief executive Geoff Taylor.

The shadow culture secretary Jeremy Hunt said the document was a "colossal disappointment."

World class?

Prime minister Gordon Brown said that the report would pave the way to making Britain's digital infrastructure world class.

"Britain is going to lead the world. This is us taking the next step into the future to being the digital capital of the world. It is making sure no family or business misses out," he said.

Currently Britain stands at about seventh in global broadband league tables, below nations such as Korea, Japan, Sweden and Norway.

The digital and communications industry in the UK is said to be worth around £52bn a year. Lord Carter estimated that some 22 million Britons rely on the industry for their daily work.

Digital Britain was launched in October 2008 to establish a framework for the UK's digital economy. There then followed eight months of lobbying and consultation with an interim report published in January.

Lord Carter is due to quit his post during the summer recess.

The report was a joint effort between the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.

HERE

B
    Last edited by Mule; 16th June 2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Added article
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 50p Per month New Tax Levy!

I could get up to 50mb broadband if I wanted so I'm happy. Not happy with the broadband speeds available to you? Then move house. I'm keeping my 50p and spending it on sweets.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't want to pay to upgrade cunts in the sticks broadband. Come back to civilisation or stick with being the yokels you are. And before you all start I could not give a fuck.

Thanks
    Karma Level

50p is fairly reasonable. whats 50p in the grand scheme if itll get us a better infrastructure.

id be more interested if they allowed you to remove the whole fucking phone line rental bollox and just allow me to pay for an incoming data connection. who the fuck uses home landlines any more anyway.

take yer 50p.. infact heres a fucking fiver, now get the fuck on with the 21cn roll-out and enough of yer pish.

and the bpi can fuck off while were at it.. the labels they represent make music so hard to fucking get hold of with their licensing pish that they force people into piracy. if i hear something on the radio and could pay 20p to have it there and then, sold. instead ive got to wait till its released then available in digital format, fuck that shit. pirated.. even if something like spotify was given license to play everything in every major labels back catalog.. piracy, fixed.

the fucks.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

fook the 50p you welcome to it, these are some of the points we should be discussing

1. In the area of illegal file sharing the report outlines a proposal to legislate and give Ofcom the a duty in reducing the amount of file sharing over the Internet in the UK. This will comprise of notifying account holders when it appears their account has been used to infringe copyright, and an obligation to keep records so that serious repeat infringers can be identified and thus allow targeted court action against the most damaging breaches of copyright.
    2. A code of practice to underline these obligations will be produced, which should set out the processes for rights holders to inform Ofcom.
    3. Ofcom will also be provided with additional powers, so that if this warning system does not have a significant impact on illegal file sharing then Ofcom can place additional conditions on broadband providers. For example blocking of sites, port blocking, bandwidth capping, data volume caps, traffic shaping. This measures are only expected to be used if the overall level of illegal file-sharing does not diminish after a 6 month initial period.
    4. The report outlines that it plans for the first stages of the warning system will be deemed successful if infringement is reduced by 70% in the first year.
    5. Fair use gets a mention, since at present even if you own a copy of an album on CD, ripping it onto your MP3 player is a violation of copyright law. Nothing concrete appears, other than to mention that this area is heavily constrained by the EU copyright framework.

So discuss
    For me if using ssl then we should be fine and surely the costs will prohibit this even if made a requirement for the ISP for them to monitor 20-5- gb of data per month by ip address, what about dynamic ip etc ??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its an absolute joke - it shows how out of touch they really are with whats needed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Great, another tax
    360 ID: Symate

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think it's a great idea cos i don't pay the phone bill

In all seriousness I think it's a good idea only if spent wisely. They should take the hit and invest for the future, starting at the core and working their way out, rather than crappy little small upgrades to end line speeds.

As for folk in the countryside - i think if you live pisstakingly far out then you just need to live with a slower speed, but then even a 2meg connection would be great if it was a genuine 2 meg connection to almost every site, so the central parts getting upgraded to make it cheaper and easier to hook up the servers to faster connections, and to avoid traffic jams on the backbones, would benifit outlying people as well without us having to fund it.

I think more rules about how its sold and advertised would be good too, similar to how loans are sold by their APRs so they are all equally compared. The shite you have to put up with just now with adverts for superfast broadband that actually have terrible contention and limits are just shite
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

What a stupid load of bollox. People who live out in the middle of nowhere made a trade off. They know they would be paying FA for their property, and I bet most stuff will be cheaper, and they get lots of land, fresh air, nature, etc. all at the expense of things like neighbours within walking distance, modern luxuries like cinema complexes, and importantly, communication.

If it is such a problem, add a £1000 surchange or something when these properties change hands to pay for improved comms for them.

Edit: They are talking about getting them a basic 2Mb service so at least they won't be totally behind the times - just remembered - I'm well within the M25 boundary, and I only get 2Mb. How about upgrading that first cunts? - Also in line with TwoPlanks' post, they need to get the whole network sorted first. I've had bad days where the net or my isp seems to be congested and I'm not even getting my 2Mb.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 17th June 2009 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another problem with this is it will start at 50p and before long it will be another hefty 'Tax' for anybody who has a slight bit of luxury.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

50p is not bad . These people that live in rural areas can get fucked ! Most are rich in money and if not in assets . Stop moaning and dip into your pockets. Cunts! Bt are wankers i wish i didnt have to deal with these useless robbing fuckers. I wish cable was in my area .
    "Your proposition may be good. But let's have one thing understood
    Whatever it is, I'm against it! And even when you've changed it Or condensed it
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode View Post
    id be more interested if they allowed you to remove the whole fucking phone line rental bollox and just allow me to pay for an incoming data connection. who the fuck uses home landlines any more anyway.
    Exactly, I'm all ready paying my £12 a month BT tax by having a land line. I don't even have a phone connected, the only purpose for the landline is for broadband. Now I have to pay another 50p just so some cunt in the sticks can have it too?

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it means i get 21CN with fibre to the exchange a lot earlier then i'm all for it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

this is bollox, those that live in the stix made their bed, now lie in it. I too dont need a phone line and if it wasn't for broadband i would ditch it, mobile broadband is just shite so no luck there. We should all be ok on newsgroups cos the plans they have outlined refer to "file sharing over the Internet" well i dont share anything so stick it up yer pipe!