Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

crazy US record industry wins $1.92m from file sharer

This is just plain mad!

US record industry wins $1.92m from file sharer

Even RIAA 'embarrassed' by $80,000 per song verdict

The Recording Industry Ass.of America has won $1.92m in damages against a woman accused of file sharing.
    Jammie Thomas-Rasset, a mum of four from Minnesota, was found guilty of copyright infringement in respect of 24 songs downloaded from, and made available to, the Kazaa file sharing network. There was no evidence that anyone but the prosecution had actually downloaded the songs. She must pay $80,000 for each song.

In 2007 Thomas-Rasset was found guilty and told to pay $220,000. A new trial was ordered because the judge felt he mislead the jury.
    Speaking outside the court Thomas-Rasset said: "There's no way they're ever going to get that. I'm a mom, limited means, so I'm not going to worry about it now.", according to AP.

Her defence argued that the RIAA had failed to prove she had actually shared music with anyone - only that her computer contained file sharing software. The RIAA hired MediaSentry which traced files to her IP address and downloaded songs from her shared directory. She used the nickname 'tereastarr' which was also her MySpace log-in.
    Even the RIAA seemed a bit embarrassed at the size of the settlement - its potted statement welcomed the verdict but said it had always wished to settle the case for less cash, and was still willing to do so.
    The RIAA chased thousands of people for apparently sharing music but scared most of them into settling out of court. ®
    Source - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06..._victory_rich/
    Last edited by tombott; 19th June 2009 at 01:00 PM.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: US record industry wins $1.92m from file sharer

Lol read that earlier today. Do they seriously think shes going to be able to pay up? They complain about the slump in music sales but if they carry on dishing out fines like this the music companies are just going to make themselves look like even bigger cunts and even more people will get their music illegally.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 19th June 2009 at 02:05 PM.