Close

Thread: A new Sky box?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default A new Sky box?

We had a few problems with the Sky+ and we got someone out to have a look. He put it down to a faulty box and said he would replace it, and he did. My partner sat in for it, not me.

I come home and see the box is refurbished - the metal is a different shade from the plastic and the top has marks on it - i'm being picky but the last box was mint. Are we entitled to a new box? Could I get onto them about it?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: A new Sky box?

How old is it?

If its 12 months old you cant expect a brand new one....also its depends is you paid £60 or did they replace if free of charge?
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It was 11 months old on the day of replacement, it would have been 12 months old exactly yesterday. (Or we got it then)

I was just making sure that the refurb thing was good practice - when I worked with Dell they sent things out as refurbs - however if the item sent had any sort of marks or signs it was a refurb it was replaced, I wasn't sure if sky was the same.

The metal casing is stained yellow slightly so I guess it's been used in a smokers house however the front peice of perfectly white with small scratches on the top ... our original was all the same perfect colour and no marks.

Didn't pay anything for it, but would have thought the warranty would have covered that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dunno if it's gonna get anywhere, but I would kick up a fuss.

Also you aren't just complaining about the colour, but the previous user must have been a very heavy smoker, as the box gives off a smell when it's switched on

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sky give out refurbs on Sky + boxes, I've had a few, surely though a scratch or two can be lived with ? Umless your living room is very sparce and it's some kind of focal point you all sit round and stare at ?
    Losing Gracefully Since September 2010

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I phoned Sky last night and complained about that smell of smoke - a new box is on its way out. I (again) asked for the definition of 'new' and was told it isn't new they just say that, it's a refurb and I won't get a new one. The guy I spoke to was brilliant, I told him about the condition of the box first and he said he'll see what he can do, said smoke and right away 'Oh smoke, well thats a new box...' so it's all good.

I'm not really that fussy, but under my TV (Black stand) I have a Wii, Sky Box & Xbox 360 (All white, and they all match pretty well - the Xbox is slightly duller) but the new Sky box is three different shades and really noticable - on Saturday night my friend commented on how it faded - so ideally I would like something in good condition to what I had.

I'd have went without it for a couple of weeks if it meant I'd get my original box back.

Hopefully the next one they send is better condition.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
    Sky give out refurbs on Sky + boxes, I've had a few, surely though a scratch or two can be lived with ? Umless your living room is very sparce and it's some kind of focal point you all sit round and stare at ?
    Its not the point though is it, you look after something and it gets replaced with something a bit tatty. It would be like having your car smashed into and the insurance company giving you a replacement with a few dints and dirty interior. You would be fuming.

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol, a few dinks would be great considering the way the mrs drives
    Losing Gracefully Since September 2010

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
    That should not be the issue.

They should not be replacing things with tat as he doesn't pay with ripped bank notes or wipe his arse on them before paying.

Sky are a brand name and as such should live up to high standards of quality.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I got the box replaced, I totally forgot about the engineer coming as my partner gave birth to our first the day before.

New box is in, much better condition than the last one but it makes a noise similar to that of a laser moving when you power it on (Exactly the same as the 24" iMac makes as you power it on) but other than that it works fine.

This ones rather different from the other two, there is a USB port behind the front flap and no vents on the top.

Social Networking Bookmarks