Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Stupid Microsoft forbids changes to Windows 7 netbook wallpaper

Good work Microsoft.......

Netbook users running Windows 7 Starter Edition better learn to enjoy Microsoft's default desktop background, because that's all they're getting.

Windows 7 Starter Edition not only blocks end-users from swapping the original Windows-provided wallpaper, colors, and sound schemes - OEMs and partners aren't allowed into the personalization options either.

Within Windows blog first spotted the OEM restrictions, which El Reg has now confirmed with Microsoft.

Branding a PC's default desktop has long been a common practice in the computer vendor biz. With Starter Edition set to be a key Microsoft offering for netbooks running Windows 7 - its seems a bit odd Redmond isn't willing to throw OEMs a bone in this lucrative, emerging market.

According to Microsoft: "In Windows Starter Edition, OEMs must not modify or replace the Windows-provided background for Windows Welcome, the logon screen, or the desktop."

Those wishing to gaze upon Teletubbies, grandchildren, hotrods or sweeping vistas on their desktop will be required to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium or higher.

At least Microsoft no longer plans on limiting the number of applications Starter Edition can run at once - so extremely desperate users can always fall back to running Notepad in the background for makeshift ASCII art. Or is that too sad?

Fortunately, it's a safe bet anti-customization workarounds will be on the internet well before the finalized OS hits store shelves. Look forward to walking your relatives through that process in the future.

So what's the background graphic netbook users will be stuck with anyway? That's a bit of a mystery. Microsoft hasn't yet released the final background artwork. Note to Microsoft: want more people to upgrade to Home Premium? Think crying clowns and primary colors. ®

Source
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft forbids changes to Windows 7 netbook wallpaper

LOL, what a joke. The first thing my missus does when she gets a new computer is put the kids on her desktop.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The first thing I'm thinking about changing on the nc10 I got the other week is upgrading to 2gb (that is if you don't count loading 7, then the imminent revert back to xp). I'm sure I read this version will only let you have 1gb

Thanks
    Karma Level

well the release candidate is good till july 2010 carlover.
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice one, although I dunno if I'm gonna be able to wait till july 2010 to see if I can get speed mode to work with it Shame as it just needs a little boost - will have to see if 2gb does the trick.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i will just get the ultimate edition - seems to be the only one worth having these days!

at them prices tho i aint bloody paying for it!
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.