Just thought Id ask how folk here hook up their 0800 drives for bakcup purposes.

Ive been using a Samsung MS28 with 0800 firmware on it for some time, but its an absolute nightmare to use. It now has the 1.6 0800, and before that the regular 0800. Its hooked up to the VIA6421 card, but sometimes it can take an absolute age, and multiple reboots before it actualy states there is a disk in the drive. The drive letter is found (usually), but Its an incredibly frustrating time to get it to pick up a disk so that XBC can do its thing.
I have another MS28 that does the same thing, and I recently tried flashing 1.6_0800 on a Liteon drive, but that wouldnt even detect as a drive letter.
Im using an old V1 or V2 connectivity kit, but the eject switch is a bit iffy on it now, which could be exxagerating the problem.
Sometimes I put a disk in and the drive letter just vanishes.
The Via drivers are installed.
When I put the disk in, ithe pointer turns into a little cd for a couple of flashes, then it just sits there like nothings happened.
XBC will not let me proceed obviously until the XDVDG (or whatever) disk ident has been found by windows.

Eventually it gets there and rips the disk fine, but I have just spent half an hour trying to detect a disk and ended up switching off before it gets chucked out of the window.

So I was wondering what configuration others are using to connect up an ms28 drive....are the via drivers installed? is it going to a 6421 card, or another on board sata port ? Does it work flawlessley or is it a tempremental peice of shit like mine? Is it being powered by an xbox or a connectivity kit ?