Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wii Wii help needed - drivekey and wiikey

Ive just fitted a drivekey into a new Wii and everything seemed fine and dandy, except some backups arent working right.. I originally thought it was down to a bad burn or bad media but Ive ruled that out. Basically, after 5/10 mins play I get an error saying to remove the disk, on both the conduit and boom blox party. Is there any reason for this, other than a dodgy chip? It also happened on Super Mario Galaxy earlier, but after a reburn everything seems ok. Originals play ok and other backups are working fine (I know its not a bad burn/bad media as Ive banged of about half a dozen of the buggers with no joy, and have other backups on the same media)

On a totally different note, my brother has a wiikey fitted in his wii with homebrew channel and backup launcher and has started getting the 002 error. I tried to follow the tutorial from this thread: http://www.digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=478915, but when I started and tried to downgrade IOS I got a message saying something likes "it looks like you are a pirate" and it exited... how do I get round this?

Any help greatly appreciated, Im rubbish with these things and its doing my heed in!

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Wii help needed - drivekey and wiikey

with the chip, did you cover that little hole thats near the usual chip placement area?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont think so, but Im not 100% sure...

Its started doing it on other games now, seems to be really hit and miss. Looks like Ill need to repoen the wii and have a peek inside.

If it doesnt work, I think Ill just take the bloody thing out and softmod with bombhacker method, but would prefer to get the drivekey working..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Definately not covering the hole. Ive just reconnected everything to make sure it was all good, but same problems

In Punch Out, for example, it loads fine, I create a profile and everything seems hunky dory. Everytime it tries to load to the first fight however, I get a bad disk error. This is on multiple burns on different media (and on the same media that other backups work). With boom blox, it seems more random, after a few minutes of play it will give me the error.

Really stumped with this, as other games work fine. I started thinking it was just new games, but its not. So far I get the same problem with Mr Bean, The conduit, punchout and boom blox. I played WiiPlay, Mario Galaxy, Tomb Raider, Donkey Kong Jungle beat, Family Game night all for a decent amount of time last night on the same media as the others with no problems at all (apart from the known video issue wih SMG). Originals are working fine. I considered bad isos, but there seems to be too many of them for that. And I also know that Mr Bean works on another Wii so it should be fine on mine

If I were to softmod now, can I leave the drivekey in and is there a way to 'remove' it if Im still having the same problems (I was trying to avoid any permanent modding to the wii, which is one of the main reasons I opted for a drivekey).

Thanks
    Karma Level

how old is the wii? it could just be your laser isnt that strong, the first gen of wii have a much weaker laser than newer one and as such are much more choosy about the dvdr quality you use. If it is that, then softmodding wont make a difference.
    A lens cleaner may help, if all else fails you could boot isos off a usb hdd, although I dunno much about that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its brand new, bought it on Friday.

Been looking round the net and messed around with some IMgBurn settings and Punchout now seems to work, so Im going to reburn the others and try them. If it is that, Ill be happy but I wouldnt have thought the drive would be so fussy..

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive always used ritek disks with imgburn @ 4x with no problems at all, even on my ancient wii, what media have you been trying?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive tried Bulkpaq, Dshirt and Infiniti (all cheap crap I know but some backups have worked)

Anyways, just reburned the problem games on the bulkpaq with some minor changes in imgburn setting and all seems to be working - off to get some decent disks this aft!

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

as 909 says use riteks mate g05 or even the 16 speed ff01? i think they are... burn at 4 speed...loading times are a little slow on the drivekey as i think it resticts the drive 3x speed,but fitted one for a mte and he has not reported any problems...Rob

Thanks
    Karma Level

jeez I didnt know they still made bulkpaq, Steer clear of those, riteks are under 50p a throw, no reason at all to use anything less. Your wii will load faster and last longer