Close

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Woman, 89, to lose allotment for growing flowers not vegetables

Poor little old lady

Woman, 89, to lose allotment for growing flowers not vegetables An 89-year-old woman faces having her allotment of 30 years taken away by a council because she has started growing flowers instead of vegetables, she said.

Edith Avery said she was told by Rogerstone Community Council that her plot, just a few feet from her back door, would be cleared this week because she had not complied with regulations.
    Mrs Avery, of Cefn Road, Rogerstone, near Newport, south Wales, said it was "a shock and a worry" as she was given 14 days to clear the plot - a time limit which ends tomorrow - or the council would arrange it and charge her.

"They said there should be veg on there and I did have veg for years and years, but I'm 89 now and I don't find it easy so it's gradually gone over to shrubs and flowers," the widow said.

"It's quite well tended, it's not neglected, but they said they've got a list of people who want allotments. There are so many that are unattended and overgrown, but it seems they want this one."
    She said she was not able to speak to the council as a message on its answer phone advised writing a letter.
    Her local MP has contacted the council and she has been given a stay of execut1on until Wednesday when it will meet to discuss the future of the allotment.
    "It's a bit of respite, they can't do anything until then," said Mrs Avery, who was an RAF Coastal Command teleprinter operator during the Second World War.
    "The allotment is right outside my kitchen window. It's my garden really. I don't go out very often now, so it's my pleasure to go in there."
    Newport West MP Paul Flynn, who has taken up her case, said: "Her offence is that she is growing flowers.
    "There are many neglected overgrown allotments nearby that cry out for the councillors' attention.
    "I have appealed to the council to show a little common sense and flexibility. Destroying her work of 30 years would be a cruel and heartless act."
    The council's clerk is on holiday. Council chairman councillor Andrew Cooksey said he did not want to comment directly, but would be discussing the matter with the clerk.
    According to the council website there is a waiting list for plots and currently none available.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...egetables.html

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Woman, 89, to lose allotment for growing flowers not vegetables

Plenty of flowers are edible, she should tell them she eats them.