Close

Thread: Torn muscle

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Torn muscle

Hey!
    I think I may have torn a muscle in my leg. I was skating a couple of weeks ago and the following day the inside of my thigh was aching a little bit. I didn't think anything of it at the time, just thought it was down to old age!
    Anyway I went again the following week and slipped during speed skating, and felt a sharp pain in my thigh. I just thought it was a strain or something so iced it up when I got home and I've been resting it for the last week. It doesn't hurt to walk on it or anything like that.
    Got home from work last night and put some shorts on and the missus asked what I'd done to my leg, I hadn't noticed that I had a huuuuuge bruise on the inside of my thigh quite similar to this except mine extends higher and is wider.

Told a mate about it and he reckons it's a muscle tear. Does this sound right?

Just been having a look on Wiki, and going off the muscle structure pics it's my right vastus medialis which I'd never heard of until today!.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Torn muscle

I'm no medical expert but if you'd torn the muscle, surely it would hurt somewhat unless you've only done some minor damage.

A number of years ago, I tore the Deltoid muscle in my left shoulder very badly in a Skiing accident. I lost ALL use of my left arm for around 2 weeks, had to be stood up, sat down (including on the toilet ), helped into and out of bed. I had my left arm in a sling to stop it from pulling down on the shoulder. I had to have my arm lifted into the sling.

Walking was agony because your shoulders move when you walk of course. Sleep was a rarity and only happened as a result of exhaustion.

Like I said, I don't know much about the effects of torn muscles, just my own experience of one .

Still, I'd go see a doc anyway. They would be able to tell you.
    Last edited by dpSparhawk; 1st July 2009 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Torn muscle

I've shown it to my karate instructor (who is also a personal trainer/physio) and he thinks it's just a strain, probably due to over extention. Like you said, if it was torn it would be VERY uncomfortable.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.