Man jailed for punching referee

The court was told Norman had 90 previous convictions

A father has been jailed for 18 months for a "wholly cowardly attack" on a 62-year-old referee after an under-14s football match was abandoned. Richard Norman, 33, punched Clive Stewart, who had sent off four players, in the face and then ran away.
He had admitted unlawful wounding at an earlier hearing at Swansea Crown Court.
Recorder Paul Thomas QC told him he had set a "quite dreadful example" to the "impressionable teenagers" who were playing, including his own son.
Mr Stewart was officiating in a game between Cwm Albion and Ynystawe at Cadle Mill playing fields in Blaenymaes in December last year.
Prosecutor Janet Gedrych said when Cwm Albion went two goals down in the first half, their supporters became abusive towards the referee and their own players.
In the second half the team equalised, but when Ynystawe took the lead again, Mr Stewart was forced to abandon the match.
He had sent two players off during the game and another two after the final whistle went.
Norman, who the court was told had 90 previous convictions dating back over 20 years, followed Mr Stewart after the game.
Ms Gedrych said he then punched him and ran away.
The referee needed 10 stitches to his face which was left bloodied and badly swollen.
Ms Gedrych said Mr Stewart had been a referee for 23 years and "this was the worst thing that had happened to him."
She added: "The behaviour of the defendant on that day made him seriously consider giving up.
"It was only the outpouring of goodwill from the football community that made him determined to carry on."

I think it serves as a lesson to parents and grandparents

John Gow

In mitigation the court was told Norman had pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity and had shown "genuine remorse."
Sentencing him Mr Thomas said he would serve nine months in custody.
He said it was "wholly cowardly attack" on Mr Stewart.
"He was giving up his own time so youngsters like your son could play organised football," he said.
"Without people like him games of rugby and football could not take place."
Speaking about the case John Gow, referees' officer for the west Wales Football Association, said in 50 years of refereeing he had never come across anything like it.
"I've come across referees being assaulted - by that I mean being pushed, shoved or verbally abused.
"But I've never come across a referee who has actually been struck by a spectator or for that matter a player and suffered those injuries.
"What I can't understand and can't forgive is someone using fisticuffs to vent their anger. There is no place for that in football on the field or off the field.
"I think it serves as a lesson to parents and grandparents that that sort of behaviour is not tolerated not only by the football authorities but by the courts."
Mr Gow said Mr Stewart has been able to return to officiating.
He said he hoped the attack would not put potential recruits off refereeing as there was a shortage of officials in the game.
"It's not going to help," he added. "But this is a one off."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/8132018.stm