Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Ridley Scott on board to direct Alien prequel

Twentieth Century Fox is resuscitating its "Alien" franchise. The studio has hired Jon Spaihts to write a prequel that has Ridley Scott attached to return as director.
    Spaihts got the job after pitching the studio and Scott Free, which will produce the film.

The film is set up to be a prequel to the groundbreaking 1979 film that Scott directed. It will precede that film, in which the crew of a commercial towing ship returning to Earth is awakened and sent to respond to a distress signal from a nearby planetoid. The crew discovers too late that the signal generated by an empty ship was meant to warn them.

The deal gives Fox another chance to keep the "Alien" franchise alive. There were three sequels to Scott's original, but it is the first time the director has set his mind on directing one.

Spaihts has become a go-to-guy for space thrillers. After Keanu Reeves became attached to his Warner Bros. sci-fi script "Shadow 19," Reeves hired Spaihts to write the space journey epic "Passengers," which is berthed at Morgan Creek. That script got Spaihts the meeting with Fox and Scott Free, and he won the job with an "Alien" reboot take that the studio and Scott loved.

Fox has separately hired him to rewrite "The Darkest Hour," which Timur Bekmambetov to produce with Tom Jacobson. Spaihts is writing "Children of Mars" for Disney and Scott Rudin, and he will follow by rewriting "St. George and the Dragon" for Sony and Red Wagon.
    Taken from here http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

I'm really excited about this.

For me, the Alien franchise is basically 2 films long (as the other two were watchable at the very best), and the AVP spinoff films were just bloody awful, so a new 'proper' third film would be awesome
    I am a loud man with a very large hat. This means I am in charge

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Ridley Scott on board to direct Alien prequel

This could be very good with Ridley Scott coming back to direct it....

The first Alien movie was always my fav plus would be interesting to see
    in what way they do the prequel? Wether it be another lone ship or actually
    seeing what happens to the occupants of the Terraform station (shown in Aliens).
    On the other hand if the ship was sending off a beacon to warn existing ships, then
    the aliens wouldn't set it like that.... So who did ?

This has me intrigued
    Last edited by demonology; 31st July 2009 at 02:28 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by big man View Post
    the Alien franchise is basically 2 films long (as the other two were watchable at the very best), and the AVP spinoff films were just bloody awful, so a new 'proper' third film would be awesome
    I completely agree. Don`t know if Scott can add the same atmosphere now that we all know about the aliens. Alien was good because of the suspense it caused from the unknown.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Does sound interesting, put as always there is potential to mess it up if he does not get the money or actors required.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by koola2 View Post
    Does sound interesting, put as always there is potential to mess it up if he does not get the money or actors required.
    Erm.. It's Ridley Scott doing Alien - he can ask for whoever and whatever he wants, and he'll get it

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Holy sh*t, this is great news if it is true. Ridley Scott, the man who did the masterpiece Alien? Just a shame we no longer have the musical genius Jerry Goldsmith with us anymore.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

nice 1 hope this leads to a Predator prequel with a sutable director and repair the damnage done by alien 3 4 5 and the avps
    hasta la yeah baby yeah!

3tv

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 3tv View Post
    nice 1 hope this leads to a Predator prequel with a sutable director and repair the damnage done by alien 3 4 5 and the avps
    They're were in talks with Robert Rodriguez to do a new version of Predator called Predators, but apparently he's on to write and produce, not direct

Rumours are it's based on the script he wrote in the 90's where Dutch get's taken to the predator homeworld.

At the moment, they're talking about it being released next year,but don't hold your breath