Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Anyone tried Kali ?

Hi Guys,

Been training in a few martial arts for a while now - initially Muay Thai and Kickboxing but now MMA as well .I love it and I’m down at the club most nights. While I was there last night I saw a Kali session and it looked interesting ,someone said it was the same stuff that Matt Damon uses in the Bourne film's (the open hand version anyway ) . Now I usually stay away from what I can the "dancing about arts" (that’s why I like Thai so much no messing about just brutality) . Gota say though some of the stuff they were pulling off looked quality, anyone done it before?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone tried Kali ?

I wouldn't really call it one of the 'fancy dancy' MA's, afterall they are battering each other with sticks representing knives. I can't really be much use but I knew a bloke in Sweden who loved it, he was studying Pekiti-Tirsia Kali and some of his bruises were fantastic.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was under the impression that Matt Damon did Krav Maga in the Bourne films?

Anyway, that's not important!! To answer your question I did some Kali and some Escrima years ago when my old Wing Chun association merged with another which covered both of these arts. I've got to say I thought it was class, we used to train with sticks and knives. Even though the knives were at first plastic and then blunt metal ones its still amazing the way you shat yourself at first when you saw that glint of metal heading towards you!!

I say do a few classes mate, after all in this current climate it can't hurt to do some weapons training can it? When someone pulls a knife on me my favourite technique is the Usain Bolt one these days!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy_1976 View Post
    I was under the impression that Matt Damon did Krav Maga in the Bourne films?

Anyway, that's not important!! To answer your question I did some Kali and some Escrima years ago when my old Wing Chun association merged with another which covered both of these arts. I've got to say I thought it was class, we used to train with sticks and knives. Even though the knives were at first plastic and then blunt metal ones its still amazing the way you shat yourself at first when you saw that glint of metal heading towards you!!

I say do a few classes mate, after all in this current climate it can't hurt to do some weapons training can it? When someone pulls a knife on me my favourite technique is the Usain Bolt one these days!!
    Sound good ,think I might have a go one night -come in handy if I meet any scousers !