Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Best way to block torrents on my router

I've stopped using torrents for a while now however my house mate continues to use them to download music and is probably sharing it as well without realising.

So how can I block torrents from working for him on my router? Are the certain ports I can block? I don't want to stop anything else from working such as PS3/News Groups and all my other internet traffic.

I'm with Tiscali (yes yes I know but i like the IPTV) and its a speedtouch router.

I can't install anything on his Laptop either as its his and not mine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Best way to block torrents on my router

Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    I've stopped using torrents for a while now however my house mate continues to use them to download music and is probably sharing it as well without realising.

So how can I block torrents from working for him on my router? Are the certain ports I can block? I don't want to stop anything else from working such as PS3/News Groups and all my other internet traffic.

I'm with Tiscali (yes yes I know but i like the IPTV) and its a speedtouch router.

I can't install anything on his Laptop either as its his and not mine.
    A BitTorrent client normally associates the TCP port number 6881. However, if this port is busy for some reason, the client will instead try successively higher ports (6882, 6883, and so on up to a limit of 6999). In order for outside BitTorrent clients to reach this one, they must be able to connect to the correct port, so blocking those might help
    Or you could share your knowledge with him so he doesn't need to look for torrents, maybe share and make him pay half of your usenet account

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not sure if this will help, but it may do.
    uTorrent, unfortunately is designed to use ANY available open port to access the bit torrent network - including Port 80 (http port).

You should try turning off DCHP and assign his 'Device' a fixed IP address. Even if he has DHCP on, he'll be given a fixed IP address.

Then disable UPnP.

Brief description of UPnP
    UPnP can be enabled or disabled for automatic device configuration. The default setting for UPnP is disabled. If disabled, the router will not allow any device to automatically control the resources, such as port forwarding (mapping), of the router.
    Then block ports 6881-6889. Most 'Trackers' usually have to have access to Port 6969 (although these are changing too). Block this port too.
    Useful reading at http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/

Unfortunately, TPB uses port 80, which is as we all know the largest tracker in the world! Blocking this stops ALL surfing traffic, hence why they use it!

Another way of doing it, is looking through what your router is capable of and stop access to the actual torrent trackers site addresses. Here's a list of addresses to get you started, just concerntrate on the more popular ones to start with (this could take a while lol!)
    http://thebeehive.info/?p=tlist

This really is just a guide for making things a little harder for your flat mate. Unfortuantely, I dont think you'll be able to do it properly without the use of normal communication... IE - Tell him to pack it the fuck in and get a Usenet account sorted.

Surely he'll jump at the chance of full speed downloads straight away that will only cost him £3-£4 per month.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think you are both right, rather than block him just install grabit with my details on his Laptop and let him use my Merlin's Portal account. He likes to think he's a bit of a player though so gets a buzz on doing things that are a bit risky even though its my internet connection. I'll block mininova and TPB from the router which should stop him as he's not a techy. Might see if I can turn on the parental controls just for his Laptop

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd drop the cunt off my router and tell him to be a "player" on someone elses connection.