Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Shields to be released

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/8245760.stm

Pardon for football fan Shields

Michael Shields has always maintained his innocence

Liverpool fan Michael Shields has been pardoned by Justice Secretary Jack Straw.
    The 22-year-old, who is serving a 10-year sentence for the attempted murder of a barman in Bulgaria, is set to leave prison later.
    He was jailed in 2005 for the attack, which took place after his team's win in the 2005 Champions League final.
    His parents, Michael Snr and Maria, have campaigned for his release since he was convicted.
    In a statement, Mr Straw said that during the last meeting with the Shields family on 28 August "important new evidence came to light".
    He was told about a visit by two members of the Shields family to the home of another man alleged to be responsible for the crime.
    He said: "I was told that in the course of the visit that man made an oral confession to the crime in front of several other people.
    "When looked at alongside all the previously available evidence, (it) has now satisfied me that Mr Shields meets the high test set by the court."

------------------------------------------------------

My take is that if the man is innocent he should be released, but come on, this "visit" by two members of the Shields family to someone who then confessed has to be highly dubious. If that man has confessed then personally I'd feel a lot more comfortable if he confessed to a policeman and was then jailed for the crime. Its all well and good this new evidence "proving" someone else did it, but surely then there is now a guilty man walking free, and someone out there who was nearly murdered knowing his attacker is walking around scott free.

Jack Straw will be releasing the fucking Yorkshire Ripper before we know it. And no, I'm not comparing Shields to Sutcliffe, there's sufficient doubt to make Shield's conviction unsafe, but Straw seems to want to let anyone out where there may be some perceived PR benefit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Shields to be released

10 more years till parole
    micheal shields got a sore ass hole.... lol

I actually think this cunt is not innocent.

The guy he did it to said it was definatly him and not the guy that came forward.
    PS3 - FIFA 09 - DF CHAMPION!!!!
    PS3 - FIFA 10 - DF CHAMPION!!!!
    and now
    PS3 - FIFA 11 - DF CHAMPION!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

why is this cunt getting a let off? That other lad only admitted it coz he wouldn't get charged so long as he didn't set foot in Bulgaria again, and who the fuck wants to go there anyway!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/8245760.stm

Pardon for football fan Shields

Michael Shields has always maintained his innocence

Liverpool fan Michael Shields has been pardoned by Justice Secretary Jack Straw.
    The 22-year-old, who is serving a 10-year sentence for the attempted murder of a barman in Bulgaria, is set to leave prison later.
    He was jailed in 2005 for the attack, which took place after his team's win in the 2005 Champions League final.
    His parents, Michael Snr and Maria, have campaigned for his release since he was convicted.
    In a statement, Mr Straw said that during the last meeting with the Shields family on 28 August "important new evidence came to light".
    He was told about a visit by two members of the Shields family to the home of another man alleged to be responsible for the crime.
    He said: "I was told that in the course of the visit that man made an oral confession to the crime in front of several other people.
    "When looked at alongside all the previously available evidence, (it) has now satisfied me that Mr Shields meets the high test set by the court."

------------------------------------------------------

My take is that if the man is innocent he should be released, but come on, this "visit" by two members of the Shields family to someone who then confessed has to be highly dubious. If that man has confessed then personally I'd feel a lot more comfortable if he confessed to a policeman and was then jailed for the crime. Its all well and good this new evidence "proving" someone else did it, but surely then there is now a guilty man walking free, and someone out there who was nearly murdered knowing his attacker is walking around scott free.
    While i agree the "VISIT" is highly dubious you should remember that this fella had actually given a written statement admitting he done it, This was then withdrawn under instruction from his lawyer , Now i don't know about you but that would seem even more dubious than the visit, Lets be honest there seemed to be a lot of high profile people pushing for his release who had all seen the evidence, I can't believe that they would have done this if the evidence had not been overwhelmingly in shields favour , Imo Straw should have released him a long time ago.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by matthewy2 View Post
    10 more years till parole
    micheal shields got a sore ass hole.... lol

I actually think this cunt is not innocent.

The guy he did it to said it was definatly him and not the guy that came forward.
    Typical stupid bitter manc statement, On what grounds do you think "this cunt is not innocent"? As for the guy saying it was definatley him, Well remember he's was going to get 90 grand compo and believe me in bulgaria that is a lot of money, So don't you think that might have been motivation enough for him to lie and see an innocent man jailed so that he would get his compo? Also there were plenty of people there and in the hotel that said shields was not there this even included Bulgarians, So you see there is more to this than your typical manc views can see.

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    why is this cunt getting a let off? That other lad only admitted it coz he wouldn't get charged so long as he didn't set foot in Bulgaria again, and who the fuck wants to go there anyway!!
    And you know this to be true? Or is it just another one of your anti scouse rants.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes if hes innocent let him go but with real evidence then look for the one who did it if guilty rot in jail without sky n bein pampered ( oh sorry rehabilitated)
    jag

I'm not racist i hate everybody

Thanks
    Karma Level

he's still got his blackboard-scraping accent I see

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1 View Post
    And you know this to be true? Or is it just another one of your anti scouse rants.
    Would you be so convinced of his "innocence" had he been a United fan? or Chelsea?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Would you be so convinced of his "innocence" had he been a United fan? or Chelsea?

Who knows? but i doubt that i would have come out with a statement like your's when quite clearly you know fuck all about the case.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1 View Post
    While i agree the "VISIT" is highly dubious you should remember that this fella had actually given a written statement admitting he done it, This was then withdrawn under instruction from his lawyer , Now i don't know about you but that would seem even more dubious than the visit, Lets be honest there seemed to be a lot of high profile people pushing for his release who had all seen the evidence, I can't believe that they would have done this if the evidence had not been overwhelmingly in shields favour , Imo Straw should have released him a long time ago.
    Im just seriously concerned about this confession. Its highly dubious, and surely common sense says that this other guy should be extradited to Bulgaria and tried AND FOUND GUILTY before Shields was released? I understand there seems to be a lack of evidence on Shields in the first place, but he was tried by a court which we have now totally undermined, which is not right IMO. This confession could so easily have been nothing more than a publicity stunt, I'm sure the guy who did it got paid somewhere along the line for his story. From what I can read on the net (never overly trustworthy) it seems that Sankey admitted he did it, but his account didn't match what happened at all, so was basically utter shit. Also, 9 people, including Brits and Bulgarians, placed Shields there. Also pretty clear though that this Sankey is a pretty nasty piece of work with history of violent attacks.

I'm interested to know why you feel he is innocent, other than the fact that all Liverpool fans seem to think he's innocent, which isn't really evidence. Sorry, but to me - as I said earlier - is that this screams of another PR stunt by the Government, and whilst its clearly not on the scale of the Lockerbie bomber or even Ronnie Biggs, its still significant that people are just being released from prison on the say so of one person.

Oh, and just for the record, I hope you realise that I'm not attacking you or Liverpool fans or indeed Michael Shields because I am a United fan, that is totally irrelevant here as far as I'm concerned. I'm more concerned about a possible miscarriage of justice, either for or against Michael Shields, and our governments reaction to it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Im just seriously concerned about this confession. Its highly dubious, and surely common sense says that this other guy should be extradited to Bulgaria and tried AND FOUND GUILTY before Shields was released? I understand there seems to be a lack of evidence on Shields in the first place, but he was tried by a court which we have now totally undermined, which is not right IMO. This confession could so easily have been nothing more than a publicity stunt, I'm sure the guy who did it got paid somewhere along the line for his story. From what I can read on the net (never overly trustworthy) it seems that Sankey admitted he did it, but his account didn't match what happened at all, so was basically utter shit. Also, 9 people, including Brits and Bulgarians, placed Shields there. Also pretty clear though that this Sankey is a pretty nasty piece of work with history of violent attacks.

I'm interested to know why you feel he is innocent, other than the fact that all Liverpool fans seem to think he's innocent, which isn't really evidence. Sorry, but to me - as I said earlier - is that this screams of another PR stunt by the Government, and whilst its clearly not on the scale of the Lockerbie bomber or even Ronnie Biggs, its still significant that people are just being released from prison on the say so of one person.

Oh, and just for the record, I hope you realise that I'm not attacking you or Liverpool fans or indeed Michael Shields because I am a United fan, that is totally irrelevant here as far as I'm concerned. I'm more concerned about a possible miscarriage of justice, either for or against Michael Shields, and our governments reaction to it.
    I don't know if he's innocent or not, what i do know is the case against him has been proved by a number of legal experts to be unsafe and the last time i looked in this country you were innocent until proven guilty, Ok he was found guilty in a different country, A country by the way we all know doesnt play by the rules, The minute they allowed shields back home they had washed thier hands of it and even stated it was up to the british government wether he was pardoned or not, As for sankey well i agree with you he should be extradited but you don't keep someone else in prison for a crime he may not have committed unless you are 100% sure you have the right man, The trouble was the Bulgarians did'nt give a fuck who they had as long as they had someone. I never thought for one minute it was a liverpool v man u thing with you but the likes of mathewy2 and russbeer piss me off making outrageous statements like they did with this, And with them it clearly was a scouse v manc issue.

Thanks
    Karma Level

its not a scouse v manc issue with me as I do NOT support any manchester team!

I just think once you've been found guilty in a court of law you should do your time. There must have been enough evidence against him.

Thanks
    Karma Level

its not a scouse v manc issue with me as I do NOT support any manchester team!

I just think once you've been found guilty in a court of law you should do your time. There must have been enough evidence against him.
    Well explain your first post then, "cunt" do you know him personally then? You may not support any manc team but the fact is you are a manc and like many more of your posts this is just anti scouse drivel, One other thing have courts of law never made mistakes then?

Thanks
    Karma Level

of course the courts have made mistakes, this could be one, but I think the fact that some guy has admitted it (which never happens) when he knows he can't be punished for it, is a bit convenient.

oh and I don't need to know him personally to know he's a cunt. He's a dipper isn't he?

Thanks
    Karma Level

oh and I don't need to know him personally to know he's a cunt. He's a dipper isn't he?
    Spot on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

latest statement from Michael

"I'm sick of being surrounded by thieves, drug dealers & murderers".

FFS he's only been home 7 hours!

Tig3

Thanks
    Karma Level

all scousers are guilty, everyone knows that..