Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Apple itouch and it's apps

Right im very new to the itouch (so new i have'nt got one yet) but after seeing some of the cool shit a mate had on his iphone (3G), i was curious as to whether the apps he had on it (police scanner, air traffic control thingy, cctv stuff etc) could be used on the itouch 2nd Gen?? can everything from cydia and appulous (that right??) be used on it, i don't want an iphone cuz i dont want to shell out more money on another phone when i've got a perfectly good mobile already, now i think i've found a couple of relativley cheap 8GB 2nd gen's ones £80 and one's £90 (is that a good price?)

any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: itouch and it's apps

They use the same apps and very few apps only work on the phone. Prices mentioned are good. Make sure it's second hen. I got a 16gb for 130 Inc delivery. Best thing you will ever buy. I'm writing this message on mine while watching the footy. =)

Thanks
    Karma Level

the price seems decent depending on condition, ive seen them selling as high as £150 (in as new condition) so at £80 and £90 id have a good look at them before i bought one,

as for the apps, just about all the one the apps for the iphone will work on the touch, unless its in need of a gprs or 3g connection to work. in all honesty ive not seen any police scanner/ air traffic control or cctv apps for the iphone and unless the app was monitoring the police over the wifi and i dont see how it could unless your on their doorstep or on their network, as the police as far as i know use a digital encrypted network and id have doubt 10 3gs' would have the power to break that encryption

unless it connects to the apps over the wifi or bluetooth (honestly dont know if the ipod touch has bt) then it could work if its using anything other than wifi and bt you'd be out of luck (id say it be a stretch with bt as the iphone has crippled bt incomparison with the n95 so the touch id say would be the same if it has bluetooth)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the replies, i think im just gonna bite the bullet and buy one of the 2 i mentioned, i'll txt me m8 now and ask him the names of the app's i mentioned aswell

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

just heard off me m8 and he said the police one was got using instalous?? once i've got one i'll get him to show me exactly

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by littlebilly1 View Post
    just heard off me m8 and he said the police one was got using instalous?? once i've got one i'll get him to show me exactly
    get the name of it, i wouldnt mind a look at that. I knew there was one in the US but not the UK

Thanks
    Karma Level

just had a bit of a poke around and found the one that your on about its recieving a stream that its playing, you can listen to them but if you go out or away from the wifi then it'll stop working without a gprs/edge/3g connection

when you said it became a police scanner i got all excited i used to listen to the local plod when i was a kid, found out a young lad who lived further up my street got arrested on suspicion of rape that way

personally all im getting is 2 or 3 seconds of stream and then it buffers, im going to try another stream though (ill be honest its a lot to pay to be disapointed with this app, if your going to use it for something else -there are some cracking apps about as well. then id say go for it, if its just this im not sure if id spend £80 for something im sure i could get online

EDIT
    1. Go to scanamerica.us
    2. Click on the country your interested in (uk us etc)
    3. Find and click on a region
    and then click on the radio channel you want to listen to all for free without the cost of an ipod

gotta say though id still get the ipod touch,
    Last edited by casio; 22nd September 2009 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SiE View Post
    get the name of it, i wouldnt mind a look at that. I knew there was one in the US but not the UK
    i cant find any that work in the uk m8 theres loads for the us though, if i get one thats working i'll post the details

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry that'sthe one he's got the u.s one, i'm not only getting one for that though, i like the look of um and it's a reason for me toget a new toy, there are other apps i just wanna fuck around with to be honest,plusmy son loves the ipint lol and i'll be installing a few games on it for him aswell, i emailed the guy that was selling his for 80 quid and i can see why, the screen's scratched to buggery,the guy that wan'ts 90 quid his is a little better, but i've fiund another that's an "unwanted present" and is in mint condition (so he says) he want's 100 nicker so i might go see him 2mora, IF he get's back to me

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was really lucky with mine. Bought it on a buyitnow. Keep refreshing newly listed items in eBay and wait for the right one. Mine had a hard plastic case and was like new.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SiE View Post
    I was really lucky with mine. Bought it on a buyitnow. Keep refreshing newly listed items in eBay and wait for the right one. Mine had a hard plastic case and was like new.
    how much?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hang on mate don't buy anything yet... (to be edited asap)

edit - sorry about that. In the apple refurbished section last week ipod touch 2G 8GB were £119 & you could get a further 4% off using quidco. I've just checked & they're sold out for the time being. The refurbished area fills with stock from time to time so it's worth checking back. In 2006 I bought an ipod photo 30GB for £74 delivered & it was new - not just "as new". Everything I read about the refurbished store says the condition is always superb.

The only other prices around are similar to apples own £149 & I guess you're trying to keep the cost the right side of £100.

I am going to get one next month but I'm going for the 3rd generation 32GB with faster processor.

Last edited by beansontoast; 22nd September 2009 at 10:52 PM.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

have a look on cex.co.uk they have shops all over they have them from about 100 to about 150 Ive bought from them a few times and they seem ok, the do break them down though into 3 main catagories A basically means as new B means as new maybe damaged box or slight imperfection or no head phones etc and C is no box no cables scratches etc if theres one near you have a look in and see if theres much of a difference between A and B also barter when your in there I bought an old xbox from them instore and got them to knock a fiver off and that only cost £20 (before the discount) if you flash the cash theyre more likely to make a deal

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

having read all the responses i'm definatley getting an itouch sooner rather than later, so what are your favourite apps?? and what are some of the best (fun) apps available??

Thanks
    Karma Level

chess with friends and words with friends (online turn by turn chess and scrabble)
    units which i use to work out $ to £ or euro's to £ etc when buying online
    tweetie for twittering and recieving tweets
    its not an app, just a shortcut but iPlayer is great, i sat on the loo yesterday watching the flintstones
    aptbackup once you have some cydia apps installed if you run this it sees what apps you have from cydia then if you have to update fw rejailbreak etc you reinstall aptbackup run it and click on restore and it automatically reinstalls all the cydia apps you had before

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by littlebilly1 View Post
    how much?
    i paid 130 delivered

Thanks
    Karma Level

the best apps ive used are slingbox so i can watch my sky box anywhere with a wifi connection and logmein so i can control my pc anywhere. The games are awesome for it and the graphics are as good as ds/psp easily. Real Racing and modern warfare look amazing. On the move surfing and multiple email accounts are just bliss.

Get it you wont regret it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i agree with the multiple email accounts, I run my work, home, private and emails from my site as well as twitter notifications all through their individiual email accounts and its so easy, it makes a mockery of the vista email abilities lol

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

my m8 had got ipint installed and my little un loved it, he's got a psp and a ds but he really liked playing the games on the iphone, he played monster trucks and summat else can't remember the name now though

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I was impressed when I saw the controls on fifa, seeing as there's no physical joypad. It was so simple & worked well - for anyone who hasn't seen it the game has a transparent joystick & buttons on the screen.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast