Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

lmao Philip rails against TV controls

Philip rails against TV controls

Duke of Edinburgh: "You end up lying on the floor with a torch in your teeth"

The Duke of Edinburgh has attacked the complexity of television sets and remote controls, giving a rare glimpse of life inside the Windsor household. Prince Philip said the quality of design had in some areas declined, and he picked televisions as an example.
    Harking back to an age when televisions were simple, he said: "To work out how to operate a TV set you practically have to make love to the thing."
    You had to lie on the floor with a torch and magnifying glass, he said.
    The duke was speaking in an interview celebrating the 50th anniversary of a Design Council prize in his name.
    Why can't you have a handset that people who are not 10 years old can actually read?

Prince Philip

He told the presenter of Channel 4's Grand Designs, Kevin McCloud, that he was impressed by the new generation of designers, and it was important to celebrate them.
    But some technology had caused him frustration.
    "They put the [TV] controls on the bottom so you had to lie on the floor, and then if you wanted to record something the recorder was underneath, so you ended up lying on the floor with a torch in your teeth, a magnifying glass and an instruction book.
    "Either that or you had to employ a grandson of age 10 to do it for you."
    He added: "And why can't you have a handset that people who are not 10 years old can actually read?"
    He also railed against fascia panels in cars, because they were sometimes unreadable due to light reflections.
    And he complained about car fuel gauges because they only told drivers how much fuel was left, not how much was needed to refill.
    The full interview with Prince Philip, who is patron of the Chartered Society of Designers, can be seen on the Royal Channel on YouTube.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8300524.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Philip rails against TV controls

Never noticed tv remotes getting worse but phones definitely are. My mum and my sister don't like gadgets - when my mum bust her last phone had to hunt down a second hand d900 for her as that's the best she can get on with. My sister also hates new phones - got her an n95 which she couldn't stand. Screen's bust on that so I'm gonna get her a nokia 6120 classic.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im sure that greek layabout does not need to worry about changing channels etc as he will probably get his servant to do it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

And he complained about car fuel gauges because they only told drivers how much fuel was left, not how much was needed to refill.
    I've never thought about that, and I fail to see how it could be that useful.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Never noticed tv remotes getting worse but phones definitely are. My mum and my sister don't like gadgets - when my mum bust her last phone had to hunt down a second hand d900 for her as that's the best she can get on with. My sister also hates new phones - got her an n95 which she couldn't stand. Screen's bust on that so I'm gonna get her a nokia 6120 classic.
    My mum is the same lol. She LOVED her 3300 as it was piss easy to use..shes had several since and had issues with them all..untill i bought her a 5310

http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/...usic-Phone.jpg

Easy to use and easy access to the mp3 player and radio made it ideal for her