Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default HP Workstation and CS4 any good

Hi guys

Bit of advice please

A customer of ours has just upgraded to CS4 from a really old Corel draw package but finds there machines now run like crap! surprise surprise!

anyway they have an obsession with HP and want to order these

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en...8-3956878.html

They will be upgrading the ram to 4gig and I have to find a video card to go in them, does any one have any experience with these machines? looking at the specs they should cope fine with CS4 standard, They are really basic users of CS4 so im sure they will just want to check really as ive never used one and I no CS4 is a monster.
    When I was born, I was given a choice - A big dick or a good memory. I don't remember, what I chose

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: HP Workstation and CS4 any good

803 quid? Fuck off. That should run it OK, I have run CS4 on an older laptop with a similar spec with some success.

Thanks
    Karma Level

dual core 2.4 with 4gb of ram.. if is DOESNT run ok then Adobe needs to re-think their strategy!

..sounds like they got more money than sence, especially if they are basic users of CS..
    Sent from my PC using a keyboard

Thanks
    Karma Level

well they are a strange company that's for sure, they currently have HP DX2420's and they run like shite with CS4, these things are the same spec as there server nearly!
    To be honest we don't argue any more he only calls us to join em to the domain completely pointless getting us in but shit hes paying, just wondered if they actually are that quick they should be im thinking being Xeon chips never played with em as a desktop before
    When I was born, I was given a choice - A big dick or a good memory. I don't remember, what I chose

Thanks
    Karma Level

The two main competitors in this market are hp and dell - compare these machines to the dell precision t3500 - i think one will come in a touch cheaper.

Something we have to consider at work - these kind of machines get purchased with opengl graphics cards (ati fire / nvidia quadro). Basically as they have different bios to support opengl, and the cards are certified by many graphics software vendors (and often optimised drivers are released in collaboration), you end up paying a lot of money for a card, the chipset of which would probably be considered obsolete on a normal card.

I wanna do a head to head comparison myself to compare some opengl cards vs d3d ones, just never got round to it.

Sorry if I haven't actually answered anything but it maybe something to think about.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In the end they went for the Quad core Z400 with 6gig running xp 64bit
    We put a HP 512mb Quadro graphics card in it and for what they wanted it is seriously fast, and there happy as, machine was about £1300 I think including the card from Insight.

Nice machine, have a problem installing CS4 on it as Acrobat keeps failing! typical! there living with it at the moment as its not a big deal but a quick google shows up tons of problems with CS4 installs

Anyway apart from that its all good

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

try running a version of cs4 that has been d/l then put in thier serial instead of using the dvd/cd.
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by B B Leo View Post
    try running a version of cs4 that has been d/l then put in thier serial instead of using the dvd/cd.
    Tried this on the day same error installing from the download now, also ran a clean up tool someone posted in a adobe forum, still a no goer!

As I said not a big deal at the moment, and im not allowed on her machine at the moment as its there busiest time of year, once things quieten down I expect I will rebuild the machine from scratch and as you said run the downloaded trial rather that the cd's

Thanks anyway mate