Close

View Poll Results: Are you in a recession-proof profession?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 25.00%
  • No

27 51.92%
  • God only knows?

12 23.08%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Are you recession proof

I work for an online retailer and we've seen growth slow a little but we're still on target for around 20% growth for 2009/10. Which is actually better than growth was for 2008/09.

I wouldn't say we are recession proof though, I think if the economy had been in better shape we'd have probably seen upwards of 25% growth this year.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I work for Shell oil and am not completely safe. Everyone is having to re-apply for their job, with approx 10% having to go one way or the other. Being a laser physicist there isn't much I can actually do

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by yazooo View Post
    I work for Shell oil and am not completely safe. Everyone is having to re-apply for their job, with approx 10% having to go one way or the other. Being a laser physicist there isn't much I can actually do
    Find a rich psychopath that wants lasers engineered into/onto animals so he can take over the world?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I work for a contractor in the construction industry and I'm on the IT team.

Company's doing well - was in the red quite deep but came out at the end of last year. While competitors have been cutting back, we haven't had one redundancy. We normally are doing 10-12 projects at a time and I was a little concerned we were down to 6 about a month ago but we're back up to 9 with two about to start so all seems good. They've also branched out in two related directions.

Thinking about myself - all our kit is supported by an outside company who aren't doing the best of jobs. My boss has so much actual management to do that he doesn't get much time for IT. Which leaves me. Amongst doing my bit supporting 150 odd users and installing/removing kit spread over 10 sites, I'm slowly learning the ropes and finding problems that have been there forever and sorting them, as well as bringing loads of cost savings. Even if I didn't have to support anyone, I have enough work on my plate to keep me going for I reckon 4-6 months. Don't see them getting rid of me soon!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i work for thr NHS in IT and i think i'm fairly safe. there's some useless cunts i wish they'd get rid of though, but they never will.

got a nice email pat on the back the other day from the IT manager, so i replied saying "worth a pay rise then! " and he said "my future is bright"

happy days - well it will be when i finally get a promotion

Thanks
    Karma Level

im fairly sure we are recession proof, we produce millions of barcode labels for pathology departments in NHS hospitals up and down the country, people are always gonna need blood tests etc

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by lloydi View Post
    im fairly sure we are recession proof, we produce millions of barcode labels for pathology departments in NHS hospitals up and down the country, people are always gonna need blood tests etc
    Indeed they are, had two myself the other week

Thanks
    Karma Level

got my own taxi cab, so we'll see what happens
    "When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was in car sales and we all know that is far from recession proof, 13 months on and still no job.
    360 ID: Symate

Thanks
    Karma Level

Work in IT as well. Although the company has suffered a great deal in the past it's never made a loss and is still on for breaking it's profits record.

I'm pretty much untouchable there now (famous last words lol). I've been put 'in a pool' about half a dozen times meaning my job is at risk and a 'points scoring' system will be used to determine the people that are made redundant from that pool.

Each time I've been summoned to a directors office before the redundancies have been announced and forewarned that I would be in the pool but not to apply for other jobs as I wouldn't be getting the chop...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm an engineer in the merchant navy working on container ships mostly. We started to notice the decrease in trade a good few months before any talk of a recession was around and its only got worse from then on. There are ships laid up all over the world, thousands in Singapore, and i'm off to crew one of them at the start of November. We've seen working ships crew numbers fall from an average of 30 in 2005 to the bare minimum allowed by law (around 13) at the moment...only 4 officers per ship are required on the laid up ships. Its a fight to get onto a ship and be 'safe' for the next three months.

So no, I'm certainly not recession proof and the voluntary redundacy letters came around last week.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    I work for a IT company. We are currenty recession proof due to some huge contracts we have at the moment
    And what happens when one or more of these companines you have a huge contract with goes bust?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Work in IT for the Local Authority. Although I work in a team of 9, I'm the only one primarily looking after 3 servers and 300 PC's. I suppose no-one is bulletproof, but I can't see them getting rid of me just yet
    360 Gamertag: crazyai
    PSN Gamertag: psxgalaxy
    IM me at pushme.to

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I work in IT, and by no means do I see my job as recession proof. Though I have to say the company would be crazy letting me go now, as I rank in $4m - $5m each quarter from just one customer. They could of course replace me, but for the replacement to bring in that revenue would take at least 2 or 3 quarters, so why risk it.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    I work in IT, and by no means do I see my job as recession proof. Though I have to say the company would be crazy letting me go now, as I rank in $4m - $5m each quarter from just one customer. They could of course replace me, but for the replacement to bring in that revenue would take at least 2 or 3 quarters, so why risk it.
    I'm cheaper and I'd get it up to $5-$6m each quarter so I'm well worth the risk
    360 ID: Symate

Thanks
    Karma Level

I work in procurement for an airline (purchasing 747 components).

We came out of administration in June after being baught out by rich arabs who get cheap fuel (they own that too). They are part of a Swiss consortium who also own lots of private hospitals.

Normally should be well out of danger now but we are not because we still have the wanker management team who bust us the first time around.

In the last couple of weeks we have spent well over a quarter of a million dollars changing 6 fuel pumps on one single aircraft. Then two costly fuel valves and it turned out the fault was a fucking lose cable connection.

Consequencies for useless Aircraft techicians and managers who kept signing the off the purchase orders ? a big fat zero.

Result for the rest of the employees ? A 20% pay cut because the flying hours were not achieved .

CUNTS the lot of them !!!!!!
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I work for a large IT reseller and although the profession is not ressesion proof, I am yet to miss my target and as the only one i'm in a pretty comfortable position.

Ressesion is not good but at least it does allow companies to get rid of the crap usless staff. I know lots of good people have lost there jobs too and I'm not being unfeeling about it, but feel if you are good you will get another job quickly.

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    You work in I.T. and make 4m-5m per quarter for ONE customer? How much you charge and what service do you provide? I must be in the wrong job!

Simple math means you charge just under £2,100 per hour (based on a 24-hour working day) over those 3 months... How you find time for working at more than one customer especially when you don't even have time to sleep?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm a developer, and being that i've been through redundancy once already in the last year (voluntary - hated my job and colleagues, and was very naive as to the state of the job market as it was about the time everyone was realising that thing's were fucked) i'm not counting my chickens

I now work in the casting industry, and we have a massive user base all paying relatively small amounts, in an effort to find them work, so finger's crossed, i should be safe
    I am a loud man with a very large hat. This means I am in charge

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I work in Market Data for a large bank that recently announced huge losses. I'm not recession proof but there is plenty of dead wood in line to get the sack before me. Its amazing that people still piss around at work and don't give a fuck if they under perform.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast