Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention UK has 12 ID card readersThe Home Office has introduced a dozen identity card readers

UK has 12 ID card readers

The Home Office has introduced a dozen identity card readers as part of a pilot scheme, having had none earlier this year

In a written parliamentary answer, Home Office minister Phil Woolas said that as of 1 October, the Home Office had issued 12 card readers to its staff for use at major ports and enforcement operations.
    "These readers have been issued as part of a pilot to allow more sophisticated card reading checks," said Woolas.
    UK ID cards can also be read at border controls at all "significant" entry points, in same way as machine readable passports, he said.
    In February a Freedom of Information enquiry from Silicon.com led to the Identity and Passport Service revealing that no police stations, border entry points or job centres were equipped to read identity cards.
    In a separate written answer, Home Office minister Meg Hillier said that about 2,000 people from the Greater Manchester area have applied for an identity card.
    The minister was responding to a question from Manchester Withington MP John Leech about the overall number of applications for cards and the proportion from Manchester, where the scheme is being introduced initially.
    Hillier said that by 2 November 2009 "almost 12,000" people had registered their interest in the scheme and that 17% of those were from Greater Manchester.
    In October, the government said that civil servants working at the Home Office, the Identity and Passport Service and others working on the identity card scheme would be able to apply for cards from 20 October.
    Hillier said that by 2019 the Home Office expects to have issued 88m ID cards or replacements for lost cards. However, the Conservative Party has pledged to abolish the scheme if elected to government, with a general election due by June 2010.

http://www.kable.co.uk/identity-card...illier-13nov09
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: UK has 12 ID card readersThe Home Office has introduced a dozen identity card rea

I was on holiday in Turkey last month & was scanned by a heat sensitive camera I thought this was strange as It's the first time ever
    I did ask if this was because of the swine flu problems & she said no It's for ID purposes ????
    wtf do they need ID cards for with cameras every were It's only a matter of time till they can ID everyone

Guy Fawkes come back, your country needs you!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: UK has 12 ID card readersThe Home Office has introduced a dozen identity card rea

Quote Originally Posted by C3Grimmy View Post
    I was on holiday in Turkey last month & was scanned by a heat sensitive camera I thought this was strange as It's the first time ever
    I did ask if this was because of the swine flu problems & she said no It's for ID purposes ????
    I noticed that too(went 2 months ago)

I'd say it was for swine flu too, she's lying. There's no way a person's heat signature can identify them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was scanned by a heat sensitive camera in S Korea a few months back and that was for swine flu detection

Thanks
    Karma Level

the heat sensitive cameras work a bit like x-ray vision as seen in crappy sci-fi films.

they are set up and tuned to effectively see through a persons clothing and are very revealing in some cases.
    a hidden weapon or other package can be seen quite clearly on the screen

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbiker View Post
    the heat sensitive cameras work a bit like x-ray vision as seen in crappy sci-fi films.

they are set up and tuned to effectively see through a persons clothing and are very revealing in some cases.
    a hidden weapon or other package can be seen quite clearly on the screen
    Yep, thy now know whether you have an inny or outie belly button and whether you are packing a barrett or a peashooter.

The sooner this Orwellian bullshit is over the better. And as long as all the 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear' idiots learn a very important lesson then we may be able to keep some liberties.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Depends what the ID card will hold on it and who has access to what information.

If there we're lots of smaller systems or cards then if any single card black listed you you'd be okay but when you have a large system like the id card if that system then black marks you, your fucked. Its a dangerous game and lots of money has been pumped into it. I'm not sure if i'm for or against the ID card scheme but I don't think i'll register for one any time soon. I do know people who have registered but I can't imagine why you'd want to.

Its very similar to the banks they are such large systems and there are so few that it wasn't possible to let the banks fail and they knew this themselves. Now if there we're 100 banks we could have let 50 fail but it never works like that.

Also the company I work for develops the ID card at the site I'm at and its always a hot topic. We've also had our fair share of protesters against it.

It'll be years and years before we ever see it take off anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJuicey View Post
    It'll be years and years before we ever see it take off anyway.
    so they are thinking passed 2012

Guy Fawkes come back, your country needs you!!