Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Any window fitters here

Hi
    Got an issue with a window in a bedroom.. house is rented and new windows fitted 18 months ago and the vent in the bedroom is a nightmare when it's windy. It's making a right loud whistling sound and these past few nights it's been worse than ever with the current weather.

Trying to get hold of landlord about it but they're away till January and I don't know the company who fitted the windows as they would probably have a long term guarantee, meanwhile, I'm wondering if there is some temp fix to it?

I put some gaffa tape over the vent, but this had little effect as I think it's the air forcing in to the front grill bit which is causing the noise and resonance etc.

I can't get to the outside of it as they're too high on the house. I've put a couple of pics here of it.

Under the two plastic caps is there some screws and would it be possible to slot out the vent, block the front with something and then rescrew it?

I know venting is important, but tbh, I usually open the window for airing etc. and never have these vent flaps things in the open position.

I don't want to start hacking away at it as I don't know how it's assembled. Any advice welcome.

tia.

pics:

"An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Any window fitters here

Cant you take the white screw covers off, open it and fill it with summat?
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    Cant you take the white screw covers off, open it and fill it with summat?
    That's what I'm hoping Nibb. Trouble is, I can't get access to the outside so I don't know how these screw things are secured, could be nuts on the outside, or a retaining thread block within the frame. Don't want to unscrew and then find the other end of the screw assembly has fallen off and I can't get to it.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Had a newly fitted window whistling once before, and thought it was the vents. Turned out it was actually gaps in the sealant around the window. House was still a building site at the time so I just put duct tape on the parts where the sealant had detached itself, and that stopped the noise, so later on redid the silicone.

Ofc, to whistle in the wind, there must have been gaps in the sealant on the outside, but I only sealed up the inside to shut it up.

Just offering that as a suggestion in case you block up the vents and it still whistles.

Thanks
    Karma Level

the best was way is to take the vent off inside put tape over the slots cut into the frame then reattach the vent trim excess tape off so you cant see it. Thats what we usualy do with them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As taff says. Pop off the round screw covers, take the screws out - the vent cover should come away, then cover the vent slots in the frame with tank tape or similar and replace cover.

mml
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry