Close

Thread: Amazon

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Amazon

Just a heads up, I have only used my debit card with Amazon in the last Month but it has been compromised by an O2 prepay debit which is not mine, BEWARE.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Amazon

Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks
    Karma Level

What timing... Last night I shredded all my old credit card statements. I had some forged O2 transactions pop up on it (got annoyed at the bank for letting the same thing go out periodically when I'd told them about the first one, so closed the acct), always wondered who it was that nicked the details, would have been interesting to see if Amazon was on there any time before.
    A friend on the subject of me becoming a Mistress, if neither Swedish Massage nor Web Design take off:
    "actually it kinda makes sense, you'll have learned all the appropriate anatomy from the Massage, and the neccessary distain for all human kind from having to support IE6"

Thanks
    Karma Level

wow i never even considered amazon when I had the same happen to me.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I know what you mean, caught me by surprise I use them loads!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I lost mine the other week, first I knew I had the banks fraud squad on the phone asking me to confirm some small (test) transactions which were fraudulant, I know exactly who it was, I paid BT over the phone a week or so earlier and after giving my card details it apparently failed and he asked for the card number again ONLY this time I could hear him typing it !!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The fraudulent O2 debit is dated 23 November and so is the Amazon one, both taken yesterday and Barclays date it for after the weekend as a matter of course, coincidence? hmmm!

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can't go throwing around accusations like this against a respectable company or it's staff. Anybody who did steal credit cards would be most likely to wait a week or two before trying them out so that the transaction they compromised wouldn't be an obvious culprit.

Every shop you use your card in keeps a full record of the number - the shop's copy of the receipt has the number on it and it's only blanked out on the customer copy (in case you lose it). With modern tills they don't even tend to use the paper receipts, they will keep those but print off a report through the back with a list of every card number and transaction of that day. Anyone who works in any shop you have used could have noted the CCV number, watched your pin or even just used only the details they had recorded to steal an O2 topup.

You could have given your number to somebody in a call center 6 months ago and they could have just got round to using it now.

Online stuff is much much much more secure than anything you do in real life. Everything is encrypted and nothing is stored anywhere human readable, and physical security is much less of a threat. The statistics back it up - you are more likely to be mugged on your way home from the bank than have an online transaction compromised.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Wind your neck in mate, I'm speaking from my experience and passing on a warning, if you don't like it keep it to yourself.
    Incidentally my previous transaction was also Amazon, about 2 weeks ago. I'm not exactly throwing accusations around just warning my fellow DF members.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It doesn't matter who's involved at the end of the day, point is, card fraud does happen, and it's a reminder to make sure you know what all the transactions on your statement are. Especially at this time of year, when the fraudsters are probably hoping to slip a few things in un-noticed amongst all the extra transactions (in many people's case).

For the first time in my life I've started keeping a spreadsheet of my cash flow. It helps that there's not much happening I guess, lol, but I'd spot anything that wasn't me instantly.

Much more difficult for couples with shared accts ofc. Don't want to get in trouble for ruining surprises now do you?
    A friend on the subject of me becoming a Mistress, if neither Swedish Massage nor Web Design take off:
    "actually it kinda makes sense, you'll have learned all the appropriate anatomy from the Massage, and the neccessary distain for all human kind from having to support IE6"