Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Menezes family to receive compensation from police

Menezes family to receive compensation from police

Jean Charles de Menezes was mistakenly shot dead

The Metropolitan Police has reached a compensation deal with the family of Jean Charles de Menezes, mistakenly shot dead by officers in July 2005. Relatives of the Brazilian, who was gunned down at Stockwell Tube station in south London, had been locked in a legal battle with the force.
    The amount of compensation the family will receive has not been disclosed.
    Firearms officers from the Met's CO19 unit thought Mr de Menezes, 27, was failed suicide bomber Hussain Osman.
    In a joint statement, the family and Scotland Yard said "all litigation" between them had now been resolved.
    "The commissioner of police... and representatives of the de Menezes family are pleased to announce that all litigation between them arising out of the tragic death of Jean Charles de Menezes has been resolved," it said.
    "The members of the family are pleased that a compensation package has been agreed which enables them to put these events behind them and move forward with their lives."
    It said in the best interests of the family, there would be no further statements about the settlement and went on to apologise "unreservedly" for the death of Mr de Menezes.
    "The commissioner would like... to reiterate that he (Mr de Menezes) was a totally innocent victim and in no way to blame for his untimely death."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8374669.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Menezes family to receive compensation from police

About bloody time! Shoot down an innocent man, cover up everything, least you can bloody do is pay his family something.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Strange they are calling him a "totaly innocent victim"....of course he turned out to be innocent of the crime they suspected him of, but wasnt he an illegal immigrant with no right to be in the UK in the first place, and had he not chosen to remain here illegaly, maybe things would have turned out differently for him.
    If a burglar trips on my stairs, falls down, and breaks his neck, I don't have a right lot of sympathy for him.....if he hadnt broke into my house it wouldnt have happened.
    I know my opnion wont be popular. Sorry in advance.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The free rags were suggesting they were given a pittance and forced to keep their mouths shut.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've always thought this was a no-win situation for the police.

Shoot down an innocent man thinking he's a terrorist: terrible, obviously.

Don't use sufficient force and some dude blows something up: they get vilified.

Don't want to get into the minutiae of the case as it's obviously very complicated.....but I can sympathise with the cops' position.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

If the situation that presented itself made Jean Charles de Menezes appear to be a terrorist, then maybe I could have some empathy. Watch the BBC summary of the facts as deterimned by the legal system and then say the police had grounds to kill him. (You may even note the point when they even wonder themselves why they were following de Menezes).

I also remember hearing reports in the media from the police that de Menezes had been shot after he jumped a ticket barrier. Tomlinson's family were told they have to keep their mouths shut if there is to be any chance of a trial otherwise it would be stopped as it could be said a fair trial cannot happen due to influence exerted through the media. How on earth were those coppers allowed to lie then?

As I keep repeating on this board, this country isn't run for it's subjects, it's run for those in power.

Sorry Flumps, but by your logic, I would be right to go out shooting everyone on a high street as any one of those could have been a potential terrorist.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought he was in the country legally. Either way, you shouldn't be shot in the head for that.

I bet the compensation is less than Sir Ian Blair got as a payoff for doing a crap job running the Met...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tronads View Post
    but wasnt he an illegal immigrant with no right to be in the UK in the first place
    Sadly this was a dirty smear campaign, but even so, surely deportation would be better

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    but I can sympathise with the cops' position.
    I think we probably all can to some extent, especially those on the front line who now know they murdered an innocent man. However, the question is why were they following him in the first place? There is no logical reason whatsoever EXCEPT the Police were shit scared because they had actually FUCKED UP in not spotting the terrorist incident when it did happen and indeed the subsequent failed terror attack the day before Menezes was killed. There is no doubt the police totally fucked up in this instance.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Sadly this was a dirty smear campaign, but even so, surely deportation would be better
    Well obviously, yes of course..Interesting point about the visa being expired or not, I cant really find anything concrete about if thats true or not.

I did find an extract about when he first came to the UK :
    "13 March 2002, flew to London on a six-month tourist visa. For several weeks he stayed with his friend's brother. His first few weeks there weren't easy. To begin with, he washed dishes, but eventually he found some Brazilian builders who were renovating a £1.1m house in Clapham and who agreed to take him on as a labourer."

So it seems from the start he didnt respect the laws of our country and worked on a tourist Visa, presumably cash in hand as well, so not just working, but defrauding the inland revenue of tax and NI contributions. Its a shame for the guy he wasnt caught and deported then I guess.

I don't like what happened one bit, it was completely down to jittery police and a big time screw up......but the point I am trying to get accross obviously is that he should have not even been there.