Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Online diploma ?

The wife is asking what i want for christmas and i am thinking something to build my photo experience up, a friend of her dads has signed up to an online course and is saying how good it is but wondered what peoples views are of online courses ?

What is a diploma going to do for someone keen to build on photography?

I think the one he uses is below:

http://www.thephotographyinstitute.c...FVyY2AodwSGOkQ

Any comments good or bad ?
     iPhone 6 baby...
     iMac 24", 2.4Ghz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
     Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, 250GB, 4GB RAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Online diploma ?

How much.....

Jez, that's a lot of wonga for something that can essential be done for free using online forums and a couple of night classes.
    IMHO, things like that are no good and a serious waste of money. Now I may be wrong, but I have done my A Level in photography and this might sound hypocritical but it has done nothing for me in terms of getting work or pushing my career. Just simply getting out the taking images and learning is the best you can do and in essence it's free. If you are really struggling then a look towards your local college for some night classes they will offer a couple of courses, but don't expect to learn about stuff like hyperfocal distances or anything as they have to cater to everyone from the GWC who has just brough a 7d and top end lens but can't operate it to Granny Jones with her point and shoot.
    Read books, read forums, ask question but save money. In my eye's courses like that are designed to cash in on the current trend of photography, and the public's perception of it being a good way to make a fast buck.
    If you really want to learn stuff then check out the Open university or sign up to somewhere like the SWPP / RPS and use their mentor me facility, that's what I am urrently doing and working toward goining my L accreditation in wedding and portrait photography.
    Learn the art behind an image, learnt to appreciate art in all forms. Technical stuff can be found out for free anywhere, a book shop, library and the net. That £500 would get you a nice shiny lens or two!

Just my 2p.
    My Kit - A camera thingy or two, some lenses, two eye's and a heap of imagination.
    My Websites - My Flickr :: My Blog :: My Site