Close

Thread: First frost

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default First frost

Awoke to a white(ish) landscape

Just thought it was interesting how there was a very clear line around this apple, frosty on top, not frosty below. Was a tiny pool of ice on the top of it too. Tunnel (part of a railway, obviously...) in the background is a little intrusive to the pic perhaps... Think blurring the background in photoshop would improve it?

Had a version of the last with lower depth of focus, which made the background nice and fluffy, making the leaf stand out more, but because of the angle I took it at, too much of the leaf itself was out of focus, which ruined it a bit. Again, think a bit of photoshop could make the background less busy?

Found some teensy mushrooms too, but messed up the focus (it really isn't easy to see on the LCD imo), and by the time I realised (on the comp), it had all melted, oh well
    A friend on the subject of me becoming a Mistress, if neither Swedish Massage nor Web Design take off:
    "actually it kinda makes sense, you'll have learned all the appropriate anatomy from the Massage, and the neccessary distain for all human kind from having to support IE6"

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: First frost

I like em, remind of a set of pics I did a year or two ago. What camera did you use for these?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Canon Powershot G11. Thought it'd be a good compromise between portability and functionality.
    A friend on the subject of me becoming a Mistress, if neither Swedish Massage nor Web Design take off:
    "actually it kinda makes sense, you'll have learned all the appropriate anatomy from the Massage, and the neccessary distain for all human kind from having to support IE6"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice pics - love the frost, although wasn't loving it this morning because I was already late for work, and nearly couldn't get into my car! Not to mention dodging around two accidents on the way to work...

Like the leaf from above - better focus & less else going on - impressive.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I added a post on my Canon forum with the same title as this at 8.15 this morning lol...

Nice time of year for abstracts with ice.

Paul.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo_baggin View Post
    I added a post on my Canon forum with the same title as this at 8.15 this morning lol...
    You, me, and a couple of hundred English bloggers no doubt, hehe.

Had a go at making the background of the 3rd pic a little less distracting, but couldn't really go further with the blur without it just looking silly. I know it's only a minor alteration (and hasn't "saved" the pic) but, anyone mind giving me an opinion on whether it's better or worse please?

Edit - Tbh, you can barely see the difference... Never mind. Still, never used photoshop before so was happy enough to figure out how to select just the surroundings and edit them without affecting the leaf, etc.
    Last edited by Miraine; 1st December 2009 at 07:55 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

first frost piccs of many i hope, one of the only good things about winter, like the second one bes and personally i would loose all the tree in the apple one

Thanks
    Karma Level

I really like the first shot miraine. Nice Dof throughout the shot.

I'd crop a bit off the top though (a line above the 2nd square of the trellis on the right). This then highlights that small hole that looks like a tunnel directly behind the apple in the background. - foreground and background interest.

mml
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

nice shots. At first I was thinking that tunnel must be miles away, And then clocked it was a model railway tunnel!

I prefer original leaf shot to the one you changed though.