Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Benefit cheat must repay £92,000

Benefit cheat must repay £92,000

A man who fraudulently claimed more than £92,000 in benefits for his mother in Bangladesh has been told to repay the cash or spend longer in prison.
    Mohammed Rashid, of Uplands, Swansea, who is serving an 18-month sentence, said he did not benefit from the money.
    But in a proceeds of crime hearing at Swansea Crown Court, the judge said this made no difference in law.
    A confiscation order was made for £81,543 because Rashid, 49, had already repaid just over £11,000.
    Rashid's barrister, Ali Mohammad Azhar, argued that none of the money should be repaid because his client's mother had benefited and not Rashid himself.
    Whether he decided to send it all to his mother or to back horses that are still running today or on Caribbean holidays is irrelevant

Judge Peter Heywood

Judge Peter Heywood said the argument was wrong in law because Rashid had received the money and, as such, was the beneficiary.
    The judge said that while what he spent the cash on might have affected the punishment he had received, it could not affect the application before him.
    "The law is clear. Whether he decided to send it all to his mother or to back horses that are still running today or on Caribbean holidays is irrelevant," he said.
    Rashid had admitted five sample offences of false accounting and obtaining money transfers by deception, and asked for 850 similar offences to be considered.
    Rashid had claimed carer's allowance, income support, pension credit, housing benefit and disability living allowance for his mother.
    She was registered blind and so the money was sent directly to him.
    Sick mother
    She had once lived in Swansea but had returned to Bangladesh in 2001, and Rashid continued claiming until 2007.
    He flew his sick mother back to Britain in March 2007 so inspectors would think she still lived here. She died later that year.
    Carl Harrison, prosecuting on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions, said nothing less than the repayment of the full amount would be acceptable.
    Judge Heywood ruled that Rashid's benefit from crime was £92,805, but accepted he had already repaid some of the money.
    He made a confiscation order for £81,543 to be paid within 12 months and a prison order for 21 months in default of payment.
    Rashid was also ordered to pay £1,000 in prosecution costs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/8391469.stm

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Benefit cheat must repay £92,000

Just Gas the cunt!!!
    Neil.....TomTom go300/500/730..Mio p550......2.8 lwb pajero exeed,where cant I go.
    Firmware:8.4.1..Western Europe 855.2880 and lots of others

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rugrat View Post
    Just Gas the cunt!!!

Cant, he wont be able to pay for it then

Benefit cheats are costing the tax payers millions a year and something has to be done about it

Thanks
    Karma Level

am i missing something?

People die because of healthcare shortages and this scrote is getting an easy ride

he should do time AND be made to pay the fucking money back with interest!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

there are thousands bang at it, the gov are the only ones to blame allowing every man and his uncle into the country and handing out OUR tax money.

sponging low life fookers who will never give back to this country, not tarring all immigrants with the same brush but everyday I see hear on the news of folk ripping the piss out of our economy instead of getting a spine and helping build this Great Britain.
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Cant, he wont be able to pay for it then

Benefit cheats are costing the tax payers millions a year and something has to be done about it

The swindling MP's are costing us more, I'd be wanting to catch them first.

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dunno whether they actually do cost us more but some people fiddle benefits out of desperation. MP's are purely driven by greed which is why I find them more abhorrent.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by consoles View Post
    there are thousands bang at it, the gov are the only ones to blame allowing every man and his uncle into the country and handing out OUR tax money.

sponging low life fookers who will never give back to this country, not tarring all immigrants with the same brush but everyday I see hear on the news of folk ripping the piss out of our economy instead of getting a spine and helping build this Great Britain.
    Your bang on AND if you could get away with it would you?

The simple answer is yes I know loads of decent hard working folk that will now play the system because they have paid into the pot all there life and get Jack shit.....

A whole different debate altogether

Back to thread YES i,m glad he has been ordered to pay(like he will lol) But can you blame him for having a go?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by consoles View Post

There's more benefit cheats NATIVE to this country than immigrants. What should we do with them, just out of curiosity?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Men View Post
    Your bang on AND if you could get away with it would you?

The simple answer is yes I know loads of decent hard working folk that will now play the system because they have paid into the pot all there life and get Jack shit.....

A whole different debate altogether

Back to thread YES i,m glad he has been ordered to pay(like he will lol) But can you blame him for having a go?
    I do think you raise an interesting point that I have wanted to bring up on df before - I may have heard rumours about people I might have known who were left with no choice but to play the system after working hard for a long time and I can understand and agree with those situations but this guy is a cunt, plain and simple.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    I do think you raise an interesting point that I have wanted to bring up on df before
    I think many people would be inclined to cheat the system a little if they thought they could. Same way as a lot of people will add a few quid to an insurance claim. Most of us undoubtedly pay too much tax or too much for "services" that we are forced into, and you can kind of understand the attitude.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    I do think you raise an interesting point that I have wanted to bring up on df before - I may have heard rumours about people I might have known who were left with no choice but to play the system after working hard for a long time and I can understand and agree with those situations but this guy is a cunt, plain and simple.
    I agree the bloke in question a a cunt
    Bearing in mind hes not the onlt cunt Judge Peter Heywood

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    There's more benefit cheats NATIVE to this country than immigrants. What should we do with them, just out of curiosity?

make the cunts work remove ALL their benifits, no work no money simples.
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would simply stop them from claiming ANY type of benefit ever again including health care.