Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: PS3 Console only (sold as seen) £65

i got one too when they were £80, its a bit scratched but works fine. is a 40gb one tho.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cant test mine as i dont have a controller yet or any games or blu rays!!

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheFincher View Post
    Cant test mine as i dont have a controller yet or any games or blu rays!!
    Come on spennyboy, pull your finger out mate

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gingertosser View Post
    wish u lot would pack it in and stop rubbin my face in it
    Tell me about it, I posted the link and mine has YLOD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have the YLOD, How do i see about sending it back to Sony? Cant find a link on their website......... I presume i need to register it first

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it's over a year old it's gonna cost £128 for Sony to exchange it. It needs a recflow on the CPU and gpu

I know a bloke near me that sorts ylod for £30

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by garagekru View Post
    Got mine scrathed case but works 100%.
    Thought I would give a bit more info now I have time, the ps3 case is a state scratched alot, the top shell slide off as the brackets are broken, it's a 60 gigga so has the memory card stots but the flap is missing. It don't look pretty

Once turned on everything is fine games run, networks up ok. It was on fw 2.51 so I would say it's sat in a Cex for some time.

Mine had stickers on it aswell with test reports one said scratched and the other said works ok

where do u guys stand with a return to the seller for Ylod? The discription said scratches and loads disc, not that the consoles don't even power up!

Kind of feel guilty getting a good on when the op didn't. Sure it will pass though ....

Thanks
    Karma Level

That's what I want to figure out..... I'm not sure how old it is. I presumed I could enter the serial number on the website and check who it's registered too and when they registered it like the MS website...... I just couldn't find the link was all

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also how do I find out what size HDD I have?

Thanks
    Karma Level

How many USB slots you got? Manufacturing date is on the console somewhere

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by garagekru View Post
    How many USB slots you got? Manufacturing date is on the console somewhere
    At the front? Pretty sure it was 2 although that's not 100%

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok it's not a original 60 gb so hopefully it's a 40gb and newer. Ring the playstation helpline say it got ylod and that it's under a year old. They can't prove you didn't by it sooner then that as shops still had stock they where selling off. Hopefully they will replace it. That is if it has t been registered

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Possible fix for YLOD:
    Spoiler:
    Oh no!! Yellow Light Of Death!!
    This fix is not gauranteed to work, as it only deals with Hard Drive issues. I saw a poster who did this to fix his PS3 when he got the YLOD, and did some research to find out why this would work before I posted this fix. I'll explain why this could work, after I tell you how to do the fix.
    Since your PS3 is going to get formatted anyway, you might aw well try this:

Pull out your hard drive from your PS3
    Connect the hard drive to your PC
    Do a FULL format, not a quick one (a quick format just formats the boot section and root directory of the hard drive, and not the data on the hard drive. We want the hard drive blanked out). Make sure to do it in FAT32 (if you can). To format the HDD you'll need to go to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management. This has an older windows feel to it, but on the left hand side you'll see Storage, under that (you may have to click and expand it) you'll see Disk Management. Click on that, in the middle window will come up the hard drives. You should see it there (It'll likely have a series of letters, followed by numbers). You may not be able to format it into FAT32 format with it being such a large disk drive (windows doesn't like giving you any non-MS file format for large disks). But doing a NTFS format should work. There are a few programs that will allow you to format it into FAT32 if you can't with that program.
    Put the hard drive back in the PS3 (be ready with a USB thumbdrive with the system software on it, follow this link to learn how to set it up).
    Hopefully, your PS3 will boot up, and prompt you to install the software on to the hard drive
    Time to download all your stuff again (hoepfully you haven't purchased any movies, as you can't redownload them). Then, back to gaming

The reason this could work is actually pretty simple. If a part of the boot sector/root directory (the sections on the hard drive that tell the PS3 how to start up, and where things are on the hard drive) were corrupted so that the PS3 couldn't properly boot up, or couldn't find what it needed on the hard drive, it could give off a "hardware malfunction" error, aka Yellow Light (of Death). By formating the hard drive, you remove that bad code on the hard drive, and start over. The PS3 doesn't detect any hardware error (cause it's gone) and starts over.

Two alternate ways to see if it's the hardrive:
    If you have upgraded your hard drive (especially if it's been very recent) try putting in the hard drive that came with your PS3 (hopefully you didn't toss it). If the PS3 boots up, then the issue is with the upgraded hard drive. New electronics sometimes have bugs that basic testing can't find, sometimes we have to find that out by plugging them in, I've built/rebuilt/upgraded many computers, and I've had to exchange parts on more than one occasion. Sometimes they are defective. If this is the case with your hard drive, and you are within the exchange or warranty period, take that bad boy in and get it replaced! If you figure "I'm within the warranty period, I can just send it in to Sony!" and you take out your hard drive, put in the old one (and don't test it), and send it in to them. They'll send you a nice refurbished system (or you may get yours back, as they may find nothing wrong), only to put in your upgraded hard drive and have the issue all over again, you'll be cursing Sony (likely on these forums) for THEM getting it wrong. If you don't even bother taking out the upgraded hard drive, and just send in your system with it in, they'll take it out, and toss it (or take it home if they can fix it), and no, they won't replace it with an equivalent. They'll replace it with a stock hard drive, meant for that model (or you may get a refurb, and they'll send your baby off to someone else when they send in their system).
    If you have a spare hard drive that will fit your PS3 (see the first FAQ for more info) you could put it in the PS3 (it should format it for you, but you might as well put it in FAT32 first, or at least make sure nothing is on it). If it boots up and asks for system software, then you have a hard drive issue, use the fix above. Another user I spoke to had purchased a hard drive, and it crashed on him, giving him the YLOD (sorry, didn't put 2 + 2 together then). He put in his original PS3 HDD, and voila! YLOD was gone.
    I hope this helps some of you YLOD sufferers. If this doesn't fix your issue however, you could have a power supply (wish sony had but that in a brick outside of the unit, easier to replace) or other problem with your hardware. It's time to contact Sony.
    Note: Sorry to the posters who had stated this fix, I couldn't find your threads to give you credit. If you wish to PM me, I will add your name as contributing this fix.

Thanks
    Karma Level

this offer might be handy for those that bought console only...bargain at £14.99

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mik25 View Post
    this offer might be handy for those that bought console only...bargain at £14.99
    sweet just what i needed

Thanks
    Karma Level

How do I go about contacting Sony to see about the warranty? Anyone have a number or website?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheFincher View Post
    How do I go about contacting Sony to see about the warranty? Anyone have a number or website?
    Sony Customer Care Helpline Number for the UK.

01635 869500 (Alternative for 0870 5111999 - Goes to Switchboard - Ask for Customer Services)

01923 653598 (Alternative for 0870 5998877 - Ask for Customer Services)

Taken from another forum. They will ask for Sn and take it from there mate !

Thanks
    Karma Level

u need to be on your toes when u ring sony about returning a PS3 they arent as easy to return as they used to be and they quite often ask for proof of purchase to say the console is under a year old - in fact every time Ive rang theyve asked- BUT just say u have one and hopefully they will just send out a replacement - they dont tend to repair them they send out a replacement to exchange for yours so it just gets swapped over on your doorstep If you can get a made up receipt from somewhere your sorted.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Currently in the process of trying to fix the YLOD by formatting the HDD and flopping the newest software on to it......... If not ill ring Sony. Can i plug a standard PS2 pad in to navigate the menus?

Thanks
    Karma Level

hes selling wii's now for £35 !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii-C...item2ea9c27927

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast