Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: I finally start a new job on Monday after 14 months of unemployment!

What a heart warming story. I wish you all the luck in the world, And good luck in your new job.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: I finally start a new job on Monday after 14 months of unemployment!

Well done again Si
    Last edited by flumperino; 5th December 2009 at 10:28 PM.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well done Si, all the best with the new job.
    İlubber Lang

CHAMP19NS

Thanks
    Karma Level

good luck mate,sound like you have had a bit of of ruff time recently.

sounds like this could be a great christmas for you and your family...

all the best with the new job

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just found out that because I need the 22nd off for a hospital appointment that I have been put down for Christmas Day AND Boxing Day. I'll be having words tomorrow about that because I wasn't told that when I requested the 22nd off, hardly fair is it, I should have been made aware. They don't pay anything extra either, not a flipping penny!
    360 ID: Symate

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Simate View Post
    Just found out that because I need the 22nd off for a hospital appointment that I have been put down for Christmas Day AND Boxing Day. I'll be having words tomorrow about that because I wasn't told that when I requested the 22nd off, hardly fair is it, I should have been made aware. They don't pay anything extra either, not a flipping penny!
    Come on mate you should have known this in advance. It's not worth making a fuss on your first day.

By the way well done & good luck, you too BBK
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

well done and good luck, must have been soul destroying worrying about not having a job for that long but as you said new start ,new life and all that, hope you find it ever enjoyable.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Congrats on the job and all but this is a bit much isn't it? It's a care job, people don't stop needing caring just because it's Christmas. Admittedly in a more lucrative sector you'd get a bit of double time or something but as you say it's a job that's rewarding in other ways.

I think it's unwritten policy in most places that they new guy does Christmas, with the more experienced staff alternating it. Next year you'll hopefully have a new lad in so you can get a chance to take Christmas off. And if you do Christmas it should put you in a good position to avoid New Year. If you have kids or something and find Christmas more important, I'd bet there will be some young single guy at work who will be looking for somebody to swap with so he can get pissed on new years eve, check it out before you go kicking up a fuss.

Well done on the job though, hope it goes well and your financial plans get you all sorted out.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

That bites m8. I must admit, I'm half-expecting to get in tomorrow and be told I'm working all over Xmas too - ok, so in my line of work I *shouldn't* have to, but I'm preparing myself for the worst. As TwoPlanks says, the new guy is going to get the shit end of the stick, especially starting so close to Christmas.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah...start a job in November or December and you work all over Christmas....just one of those anoying things!

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I know care doesn't stop because it's Christmas, I was down to have Christmas Day off, then when I got my wife to tell em I needed the 22nd off for the hospital it seems I was then put in for Christmas Day but nothing was said until my wife saw on the rota today. It would have been more fair to actually say something to her to pass onto me instead of just sticking me down. They checked with everyone else before doing so. it's not like I'm an experienced care person so I wouldn't have thought I'd be missed at all.

I wouldn't be kicking up a fuss, just ask if I cancel/change my appointment can the rota be put back to how it was so I don't have to work it. My 9 year old was quite upset that I might have to work it, my wife and daughter wouldn't have a Christmas Dinner either cos my wife can't cook anything like that lol.

I have no problem working New Years Eve or Day so hopefully that will help.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Buhahaha, something tells me this is all going to end in tears. Can you supply the name of the care home, I just want to check I don't have any relatives that may need an emergency transfer.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I know care doesn't stop because it's Christmas, I was down to have Christmas Day off, then when I got my wife to tell em I needed the 22nd off for the hospital it seems I was then put in for Christmas Day but nothing was said until my wife saw on the rota today. It would have been more fair to actually say something to her to pass onto me instead of just sticking me down. They checked with everyone else before doing so. it's not like I'm an experienced care person so I wouldn't have thought I'd be missed at all.

I wouldn't be kicking up a fuss, just ask if I cancel/change my appointment can the rota be put back to how it was so I don't have to work it. My 9 year old was quite upset that I might have to work it, my wife and daughter wouldn't have a Christmas Dinner either cos my wife can't cook anything like that lol.

I have no problem working New Years Eve or Day so hopefully that will help.
    I can see where your coming from m8 my bird works in the local hospital and has had to work on christmas day a few times and we've got 4 kids all under 11.

You've just got to accept it's the nature of the job.Much like bar work and the likes you just don't stop on national holidays.
    My Mrs has been quite lucky really as the women she works with are older than her and appreciate she has younger children and some years they've swapped with her.

Being new you just have to take it up the shitter.As you said they asked everyone else but you were no doubt last on the list and if a place had to be filled you wouldn't be given the option and rightly so.

Congrats anyway hope it all works out for you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

First day went well, didn't do a great deal really, helped with breakfast and lunch. Changed the sheets and blankets on about 15 beds, um, that's it lol. Today was only 6 hours, got a 12 hour shift tomorrow followed but 2 more 6 hour shifts and finish the week off with a 12 hour shift on Friday. There will be a lot more to do as time goes on and get a feel for the place.

As for Christmas Day, I was put down to do it as I was going to be working on the upstairs part of the place hwere there are proper bed ridden residents and need hoisting about, but turns out I'm on the downstairs part and not been put in for Christmas Day....so far anyway lol.

My fucking feet are killing me though stood up all day when I'm used to being sat in a comfy leather chair at home with my feet up all day

I was going to be doing just 31 hours this week but now doing 42 at my request as I need the money, not only that I'll learn quicker too being there more than not.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I sat mainly on my arse all day, I need a fucking cushion Still, all looking good here too, don't have to work Xmas Day but do have to do the 3 days inbetween. Oh well, it'll be quiet no doubt.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well done fella I know you have had a rough time and light at ends of tunnels can often get turned off. this time it's all good. A total change but you seem to have already embraced this. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the job

K
    What is it with steel wool? Is it steel? Or is it wool?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Get yourselves some silicone insoles & silicone bum cover respectively (that's MY intellectual property now btw)
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well done on getting through your first day. My mother in law is in a home and I have much respect for the carers there. So

Need to remind ourselves that we'll be old and in need of care one day!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    Get yourselves some silicone insoles & silicone bum cover respectively (that's MY intellectual property now btw)
    I just ordered a pair of comfy looking Kickers shoes, if they're not comfy they can go back lol. I may consider some silicone insoles too though, actually I'm going to have a look on Ebay right now.

Edit: Only 2 sorts on Ebay at £15 a pair.

Last edited by Simate; 7th December 2009 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My fucking feet are killing me though stood up all day when I'm used to being sat in a comfy leather chair at home with my feet up all day
    You'll be amazed how quickly that goes away, I remember when I first started a standing up job doing 4 hour shifts used to leave me with sore feet but after only a few months I didn't even notice doing 10-14 hours of standing about. That was just with the same shoes, although I have heard people have good results with fancy insoles.

Good job on getting on well with the first day, and cracking result for Christmas day. Now you have a full year to find out who makes the rota and ensure they are your friend before next Christmas

Sounds good that they can give overtime too, loads of places are being really stingy with that sort of thing just now. Plus the care industry is set to get bigger rather than smaller with aging population and medical advances keeping people alive long enough for them to need care so you should be quite secure for the next recession too
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast