Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default I finally start a new job on Monday after 14 months of unemployment!

After being out of work since September 2008 I am finally starting a new job this Monday after my CRB coming back clear (as expected lol) after a 5 week wait. I can't wait to get going. It's nothing like I've ever done before, I have been a butcher in a my younger days, a commercial vehicle paint sprayer, a senior trainer for a Unilever company, fleet sales account manager for British Car Auctions and a car salesman (booooo lol).

This time round I'm going to be a care assistant! The interview was for a kitchen assistant (I was desperate for anything) but was asked if I'd ever considered being a care assistant, I hadn't, it scares the crap out of me to be honest. The general manageress said going by your cv I think your the type of person that would make a good care assistant and would be wasted in the kitchen, she then said she could see me being a unit supervisor some time next year which pays much better money, that's the kind of thing I like to hear and I will work like a dog to progress.

So, I will begin my induction training at 9am Monday and go from there. I know it won't all be bad other than the obvious not so nice parts of the job.

I've been doing some of my E-Learning on aimsperform.co.uk this week. The Health and Safety part of it should take around 7 hours alone, but as I remembered most of it from training people at Unilever I got through it in 2hrs 28mins and passed all the tests. There's loads left to do but I've done more over a few days than some have in 3 months!

NVQ will need to be acquired, not sure which level but once I've got that my hourly rate will go up, again, not much but it all helps. My aim is to have the General Manageress' job within 5 years.

It can be a rewarding job, not money wise to start with but making someone smile when they're down is priceless.

Fingers and toes crossed it all works out.
    360 ID: Symate

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: I finally start a new job on Monday after 14 months of unemployment!

Woop!
    Well done on getting a job, hope it goes well.

You seem to enjoy the changes, so you'll be fine after not too long.
    Look forward to seeing how long till you get the managers job...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: I finally start a new job on Monday after 14 months of unemployment!

Congrats on getting the job.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well done mate, it's a great feeling isn't it?

I was out of work for 4 months so took a shite temp job whilst still looking. Had another interview 2 weeks ago and start Monday in a job I will enjoy.

Funny thing is the job I was at I was sitting in the same seat as the two people that had found themselves good jobs after being there 3 weeks. My boss couldn't believe it when I told him I'd got another job. Now every fucker in the office wants to sit there lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice one mate - and you'll find it much easier being a bloke in the care environment. If you're a woman you are screwed, as some of them are vicious

Shooooooo-ryuken!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well done Simate, congratulations and I really hope you enjoy your new career.

Fight my brute!
    http://mocho-gorro.mybrute.com

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well done. Just in time for Christmas too. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thank you guys, upwards and onwards as they say. It has come too late though. We have run up a lot of debt, mostly me though what with no income, I have been in contact with the consumer credit council and national debtline and payplan to try and get payments with creditors down but we don't have enough left after our usual monthly outgoings so noone can help other than offering creditors a token payment ourselves. The credit card companies were ok with it but only for a 6 month period. Lloyds TSB did not want to know though, I pay them £430 a month for a couple of loans and interest on a huge overdraft. I have been managing to pay what was needed by using credit and selling off my possessions, credit has ran out and I have ran out of things to sell other than a few bits which aren't worth that much.

So, we put our house on the market last Thursday and it sold this Monday! We own it outright so will have around 122k in our pockets, once everyone is paid off we'll have 76k left. We'll be renting until we are in a position to buy again, one day. With all that money I'll be able to afford VIP on here
    Most of the 76k will go into some sort of account that pays reasonable interest but also won't let us touch it without 90 days notice and needs both signatures to get anything out, that way it won't get blown on crap. I wish I had the balls to invest it something that would pay out a nice chunk of cash here and there but I can't risk it. It's kind of like a new beginning for us doing this, new job, new area to live in, better schools for our daughter where we're looking to move to, a holiday every year and NO money worries at all!

We will never ever, ever get credit cards or bank loans again though, no mater what, we couldn't go through this again

I'll actually be able to afford some of the things I post in Biggys!! The first and only thing I'm going to treat myself too in time is a WD TV Live box. I was planning to replace my Onkyo TX-SR875 and speakers after I had to sell them recently to be able to pay the bank their wad but I'm not going to, I mostly used headphones anyway, as nice as it all sounded I can live without another one.See, being sensible already lol. I am going to take my wife, daughter and of course myself out for a slap up meal once the house money is all sorted.

Thanks
    Karma Level

76k? Chuck it in Barclays

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    76k? Chuck it in Barclays
    Well, 65k of it would go away as some will need to be used each month until my wages go up once I worked for it. Why Barclays? Do you mean an account or shares? I wouldn't do shares in any company at the moment if you do mean shares.

Edit: Barclays pay 4.89%, that's 10k over 3 years, not bad, not bad at all that.
    Last edited by Simate; 5th December 2009 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good luck with the new job m8.. Always nice to hear positive news like this
    Xbox Live! Gamertag - Wookie76

"Alright Brain...Its all up to you"
    Homer .J Simpson :)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Great news m8, and here's some more - I start my new job on Monday too, after being out of "official" work for slightly longer than you as you know! Its all looking good mate, shame you had to sell the house, but you're taking the long term view and in the end I'm sure it will all pan out for you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

76k left?

Why not slap that down on another property and then let it out? The rent should easily cover the payments and would give you a far better return than "some sort of account that pays reasonable interest"

Congrats thou

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Good news all round then BBK

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Good Luck with your new job

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJAd View Post
    76k left?

Why not slap that down on another property and then let it out? The rent should easily cover the payments and would give you a far better return than "some sort of account that pays reasonable interest"

Congrats thou
    We could do in the future but at the moment no lender would consider us for a mortgage to buy somewhere else hence renting.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Simate View Post
    We could do in the future but at the moment no lender would consider us for a mortgage to buy somewhere else hence renting.
    Are you sure? 76K is one mean deposit..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice one mate, sounds like it's taken a while so it must be all the more sweet.

Would it not be worth keeping your place an renting it out, assuming you can get reasonable rent it should pay off your rent and possibly give you a few beer token each month.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    Are you sure? 76K is one mean deposit..
    It is but my credit file is shot. Not to worry though, it'll all come good in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    Nice one mate, sounds like it's taken a while so it must be all the more sweet.

Would it not be worth keeping your place an renting it out, assuming you can get reasonable rent it should pay off your rent and possibly give you a few beer token each month.
    Thank you.

No, I need to sell to pay everyone off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hope all goes well for ya mate , and good luck in the future
    all the best biffo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast