Close

Thread: Primer

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Primer

Former engineer Shane Carruth announces himself as a force to watch with 'Primer', his first film. Carruth wrote, directed, edited, produced, photographed, scored, and stars in the film, which won the Grand Jury Prize at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival. He plays Aaron, who, with his business partner and best friend, Abe, experiments with a device that seems to have more power than they could ever have imagined. Playing with batteries, refrigeration, and other techniques and materials in Aaron's garage, they discover that their machine just might have the ability to move back in time. Originally dealing with Weebles figures and wristwatches, Aaron and Abe are soon considering making a box large enough to transport a human being - with remarkable results. An indie hit, 'Primer' was made for about seven thousand U.S. Dollars. Carruth shot the film with a purposefully grainy look, as if it were made in the 1970s. The retro feel works well with the futuristic elements of the story, which lead Abe and Aaron to question reality, truth, and their own physical and mental being. Because he learned about film on his own without going to film school or making any previous shorts, Carruth brings a freshness to the genre that is invigorating, with unexpected plot twists and complex narratives that invite multiple viewings. 'Primer' is an unusual, unique, challenging, and thoroughly entertaining movie.
    I'll just start off by saying I'm a massive fan of time travel films. Lately anything involving travel or foresight just really works for me and so after a bit of research trying to find something in the vein of Donnie Darko and Pay Check I came across this.

Made on a shoestring (literally) budget it's totally devoid of special effects so don't expect any kind of action - this film is driven totally on it's shattered plot and character twists. I've watched it 3 times and each time came to a totally different conclusion, IMDB and the extensive papers written on the film have helped and I finally think I know what's going on - or at least some of the timeline's plots.

The whole thing barely lasts 80 minutes and really got my head going as a fan of paradox theory etc. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a film that scratches the surface and leaves you to work the rest out days later.

I'd give it a higher mark if it wasn't so damn short
    Last edited by Speshal; 27th December 2009 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Primer

Yes, a cracking little sci-fi film.