Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Starting back 7 months on

Well, since my back injury in march I am now starting back at the gym tonight. Quite nervous to be honest as I'm quite a bit out of shape and my back still isn't fully recovered yet. I am starting physio this coming monday after spending a fortune with a chiropractor and never really seen any major results for what I paid.

I guess I need to build up my confidence and do it slow...

My question is, can anyone give me any tips on what would be the best not to aggravate a lower back muscular problem whilst at the gym? I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me any/some advice..

Thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Starting back 7 months on

As your back isn't yet fully recovered it's probably best not to do much at all - how pissed off would you be if you managed to cause even more damage by a simple set of excercises?

My rugby coach always advised me to lay off when injured until fully recovered. As the back is vital to most excercises, I'd be careful mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm thinking of mainly doing keep fit at present, light, small leg movements and maybe throw in some rowing? I'm just trying to sort it out as I think it could also be down to the lack of exercise why my back hasn't fully recovered yet either. I'll see how it all goes anyway, I need to start doing something anyway...The physio on monday can probably advise me more too when I go see her.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think rowing will be bad for your back as it uses must muscles and could cause stress on the lower back...! just do some cardio...??

Thanks
    Karma Level

A mate of mine spent the whole of last year away from the gym because of a back injury. He was given special exercises with light weights which aimed at strengthening the core (looked like a fool doing them mind) and as a result of a lot of work on that he is now able to get back in. Don't rush it, if I was you I'd wait until after you've seen the physio, backs are tricky things...
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

The back is complicated and every problem is different. what works for one person won't necessarily work for another with exactly the same problem.

Keep everything very light. If you feel any twinge or discomfort stop, immeadietly.

Speak to the physio, explain everything and tell him that if stopping training was out of the question, what would he suggest.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The thing is Tam,only you can hazard a guess on how something will actually feel m8.You need to remember that because you havent done anything since March you are going to be bloody sore no matter what you do.Most exercises you do will cause you to move your back in some form but wouldnt recommend running or that m8.Nice light cycling and some form of back exercise.For talking sake,just use the bar and do some "Good mornings" straight leg d/lift but like I say ONLY use a bar.Just go so far,then with each one go a little deeper.Dont feel the need to jump in too soon as you will only end up aggravating it again..IMO you would be best to see a Physio that has some back-ground on weight training as they can relate to/best assist in types of exercise you do....I can put you in contact with a Physio and he is top notch m8.I was going to see that tit Scott,the old Celtic physio and have to say was a load of shoite..Thought,well he worked wonders with Larsson,so will do for me.BIG mistake!..Anyway m8,if you want me to give you his number you can give him a shout.He usually does an assessment in the first treatment and thats for free...LMK

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by toto67 View Post
    The thing is Tam,only you can hazard a guess on how something will actually feel m8.You need to remember that because you havent done anything since March you are going to be bloody sore no matter what you do.Most exercises you do will cause you to move your back in some form but wouldnt recommend running or that m8.Nice light cycling and some form of back exercise.For talking sake,just use the bar and do some "Good mornings" straight leg d/lift but like I say ONLY use a bar.Just go so far,then with each one go a little deeper.Dont feel the need to jump in too soon as you will only end up aggravating it again..IMO you would be best to see a Physio that has some back-ground on weight training as they can relate to/best assist in types of exercise you do....I can put you in contact with a Physio and he is top notch m8.I was going to see that tit Scott,the old Celtic physio and have to say was a load of shoite..Thought,well he worked wonders with Larsson,so will do for me.BIG mistake!..Anyway m8,if you want me to give you his number you can give him a shout.He usually does an assessment in the first treatment and thats for free...LMK
    Hey Toto I need a good un for my shoulder. Where are they based about. Is she a blonde female per chance?
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.