Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help question about OS Licenses

This maybe a stupid question but im thinking of opening a laptop/pc repair shop.

What i really need to know is if a customer brings a laptop or computer in and they dont have there backup/recovery disks how would i go on reinstalling windows?

would i have to charge them for a copy of XP/Vista again? some devices have the license stuck to them, but i have tried this before and the disk never corresponds to the license, OEM?
    [live=W4RH34D]W4RH34D[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: question about OS Licenses

if there is a sticker on the computer 99% of the time it will be OEM, thus an OEM disk is needed to match serial... not so sure about the legality - but will pass WGA etc. (Also if there is a company name other than m$ on sticker it is 100% OEM)

I keep copies of most OEM versions of Windows (With exception of Windows 7 as OEM copies of home/basic versions dont seem to be on the 'net - just ultimate) for this reason, like I say though - not sure about legality in respect of doing this in a shop as your not exactly installing a pirate copy if the customer has a license and you use their key.
    Last edited by Possy_99; 8th January 2010 at 05:44 PM.
    Sent from my PC using a keyboard

Thanks
    Karma Level

so basicly if i have an OEM version of windows XP for example, i can install any serial oem sticker off that disk?
    [live=W4RH34D]W4RH34D[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

if the sticker for example says Windows XP Home then below HP/Compaq/Dell.. or other company then if you use a OEM copy of XP Home, it will accept their key and pass all activation/validation checks. If it's XP Pro, use XP Pro OEM..

..for vista you should be able to find an OEM copy which has all versions to download.. home basic, premium etc etc.. just install the version stated on the sticker, install without serial (for some reason it doesn't usually accept keys during install) and when u got it up and running, start activation, enter their key and it should activate and pass any validation checks.

Win7, again, haven't come accross an OEM copy which has all versions online.
    Last edited by Possy_99; 8th January 2010 at 10:24 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah providing the customer has the sticker (please note your license is the sticker) so you are entitled to install Windows for them providing they have this, Dell computers for instance have a special Windows disc that provides the activation by reading the bios to check its a dell machine (i think) and this will be the same for all large pc vendors, this will activate windows for you, however you cant use the Dell disc on another type of computer for automatic activation

basically your gonna need alot of discs mate if you wanna cover all the angles, if someone brings a computer/laptop to you that has the repair discs then i would make a backup incase the next person brings one in without them etc

good luck with it mate if you go ahead, something i would like to do myself
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I made a XP 12-in-1disk with pretty much every version of windows xp, added BTS Driverpacks etc which comes in real handy. I will send one to one of the current contributers to this thread on the understanding that they send the next requested copy..

for vista, just look in the usual places for an OEM disk that has all versions, this can be used on any make of laptop/pc and doesn't clog the already bloated os with preinstalled crap.

win7, this is where backing up original manufacturer restore disks would be handy, but nowerdays they are quite rare to see, usually there is a utlity pre-installed where you can create recovery disks.