Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Liverpool say manager Rafa Benitez is not under threat

Rafael Benitez's position is "not on the agenda" despite Liverpool's shock FA Cup defeat by Reading, according to managing director Christian Purslow. Benitez is under increasing pressure as boss after the loss to the Championship side, an early Champions League exit and poor Premier League form. Despite his problems, the Spaniard has vowed to fight on at Anfield. And, in an email to BBC Sport, Purslow reiterated that Benitez has the full support of the club's board.
    Former Reds captain Ronnie Whelan believes Benitez should be replaced following the defeat at the hands of the Royals. Whelan, 48, told BBC Radio 5 live: "He should've gone a long time ago. They have got to do it now.
    "Liverpool have not been good. They have lost 10 of the last 20 games.

A disappointing season has left Liverpool having to settle for a Europa League campaign, while lying seventh in the Premier League - 12 points behind leaders Chelsea - but Purslow has always maintained that Benitez's job is not under threat. The misery continued on Wednesday night when Reading dumped them out of the FA Cup after extra time in front of their home supporters. It was their 12th defeat of the season and after Benitez told the club's website he would "keep working hard with my team", another ex-Liverpool star expressed his displeasure. Former Reds and Republic of Ireland midfielder Jason McAteer told LFC TV: "Sometimes you just can't defend that kind of performance. It was poor. Liverpool just didn't really create anything and, to be fair, the better team won." Liverpool now face the prospect of finishing the campaign without a trophy for the fourth successive season, with any hopes of success hanging on their Europa League efforts. But with captain and midfielder Steven Gerrard and striker Fernando Torres coming off injured during the Cup defeat, McAteer is fearful for the remainder of the campaign. "They are the two players who can produce a bit of magic," added the 39-year-old. "You just look around the team and when those two are not there, who is going to create that bit of magic? Where is that bit of leadership and quality?" BBC Sport pundit Mark Lawrenson, co-commentator for BBC Radio 5 live at Anfield on Wednesday, also expressed his concerns but believes Benitez's tenure may continue.

If you take Gerrard and Torres out of the Liverpool team then it is ordinary to say the the least," the 53-year-old told BBC Sport. "If they spent the season without those two then Liverpool would do well to finish halfway up the table. Obviously a lot of people on the back of last night's defeat are saying that Rafa should go but I don't think he will. "For a lot of people the defeat by Reading has made their mind up but not the inner workings at the club." However, Whelan, who made 493 appearances for the Reds and captained them in their 1989 FA Cup final triumph, suggested the club could turn to a former manager as a short-term solution. "Do they bring in someone until the end of the season? Kenny Dalglish is back at the football club," he stated. "Could he do it until the end of the season and see what happens?" As a player, Dalglish joined Liverpool from Celtic in 1977 and spent six years in charge on Merseyside before leaving in 1991.

Lawrenson believes the Anfield faithful may eventually help to determine Benitez's fate. "The club have said they will wait and see whether they qualify for the Champions League but there will come a time, especially if they go out of the Europa League early, where the crowd will end up making the decision for the board," he said. "If you say to Benitez 'thank you but no thank you' then who are you going to get in? Are you going to lose a Gerrard? Or a Torres? That is the most important thing to think about. I think he'll have a stay of execut1on. "He has promised the supporters the club will finish in the top four but they look further away from doing that than probably they ever have since he's been there."
    However, former Reds striker John Aldridge does not feel that sacking Benitez would benefit the club, even though he admits that the Spaniard has some serious deficiencies to rectify in the side. "We can turn the tide, I don't think to get rid of Rafa now is the answer," Aldridge told Sky Sports. "Maybe Rafa has lost some confidence within himself because certainly the team has lost confidence and belief - it is there for everyone to see on the pitch.

We are not scoring goals as much we should be and we are conceding a lot more than we have been. "There is perhaps a lack of togetherness on the pitch, if anything. "But Rafa has got confidence in his own ability. If he didn't, I'm sure he'd walk away to help the club. "I think Rafa has got to do his best with the team and hopefully we'll get to May, we'll have secured the fourth place and, who knows, maybe won the Europa League." Benitez, whose contract runs until 2014, arrived at Liverpool from Valencia in 2004 and guided the club to Champions League glory in 2005 and an FA Cup triumph in 2006. The Reds also reached the Champions League final in 2007 and were runners-up to Manchester United in the Premier League last season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ol/8459188.stm
    Last edited by Raptor; 16th January 2010 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Liverpool say manager Rafa Benitez is not under threat

all i can say about the above is what a FOOOOKIN disgrace....it just goes to show the Yanks and Christian Purslow dont have the balls to sack him as then we would need to pay him 20m (as papers say)

I cant see us getting 4th now defo with torres, gerrard and benayoun out for at least a month...

If we dont beat stoke tomorrow or actually even if we do Rafa needs to go

Thanks
    Karma Level

I must admit, I do find myself feeling a tad sympathetic (maybe not the right word) towards the Liverpool board. I mean seriously, IF it costs them £20 million to sack Rafa, its going to cost fuck loads to replace him. As has been said, no manager worth his salt would take the job unless there is a promise of substantial funds to rebuild the team, and if you spend £20 million on sacking Rafa, the impact of the new stadium and then fail to qualify for the CL (another £20 million effectively lost), the new manager will potentially be very short of funds - and you're not going to get Mourinho unless you can promise funds.

Oh well, its Agent Rafa or King Kenny. Either of whom I'm deleted to see at the helm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    I must admit, I do find myself feeling a tad sympathetic (maybe not the right word) towards the Liverpool board. I mean seriously, IF it costs them £20 million to sack Rafa, its going to cost fuck loads to replace him. As has been said, no manager worth his salt would take the job unless there is a promise of substantial funds to rebuild the team, and if you spend £20 million on sacking Rafa, the impact of the new stadium and then fail to qualify for the CL (another £20 million effectively lost), the new manager will potentially be very short of funds - and you're not going to get Mourinho unless you can promise funds.

Oh well, its Agent Rafa or King Kenny. Either of whom I'm deleted to see at the helm
    Well we could get someone in who has stated a interest (if papers are correct) and that man in Guss Huddink...if Roman would allow it...

plus also i dont think we are gonna get 4th so in theory rafa will be sacked thats 20m plus not gettin champ league place is another 20m....so @ end of season who is gonna come in without funds??

Another thing I can see the Yanks selling the club between now and the new season starts....hopefully to some rich arabs

Thanks
    Karma Level

I saw Hiddink had been linked, but doesn't he want £8 million or something? Thats half a good new player, and now nearly £50 million LESS a new manager could get in the summer!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo77 View Post
    Well we could get someone in who has stated a interest (if papers are correct) and that man in Guss Huddink...if Roman would allow it...

plus also i dont think we are gonna get 4th so in theory rafa will be sacked thats 20m plus not gettin champ league place is another 20m....so @ end of season who is gonna come in without funds??

Another thing I can see the Yanks selling the club between now and the new season starts....hopefully to some rich arabs
    What difference will rich Arabs make? Benitez has spent something like £300m on 46 different players and today you are a worse team than when he took over
    Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G
    As for snotty he will bring his ban up like he's a martyr now. I hope your aware of the beast you've probably created gunner.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Snotty View Post
    What difference will rich Arabs make? Benitez has spent something like £300m on 46 different players and today you are a worse team than when he took over
    Arabs will bring loads of cash....yeah rafa has spent loads and agree on some shite signings but hopefully someone new will come in get rid of all the dead wood and rebuild a winning side...

Cant believe the difference a season makes to be honest.....title contenders last yr (and should of won it to b honest) to being knocked out of champ league/league cup/fa cup and trying to get 4th place....what i cant see happening.....

And too be honest cannot blame it on losing 1 player in Alonso....rest of starting 11 are the same.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is great news!

Long live Rafa!
    If you can smell it, it's in your mouth.
    Click

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think this is fantastic news

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Snotty View Post
    net spend averages out to 16 mill a season, not really a great deal is it?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1 View Post
    net spend averages out to 16 mill a season, not really a great deal is it?
    ok when you look at it like THAT - it makes all the difference hahahahaha

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    ok when you look at it like THAT - it makes all the difference hahahahaha
    It does when you look at all the shite posted on here about how much money he's had, when he spends 30 mill each on players like berbatov and veron then we would be worried.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1 View Post
    It does when you look at all the shite posted on here about how much money he's had, when he spends 30 mill each on players like berbatov and veron then we would be worried.
    Yes I agree. Fergies dealings in the market are shocking especially the ones under 20 million. Sit the fuck down and shut up

Nistelrooy 19 Million
    Ronaldo 12 Million
    Keane 3.75 Million
    Sheringham 3.5 Million
    Pallister 2.3 Million
    Hughes 1.8 Million
    Solskjaer 1.5 Million
    Cantona 1.2 Million
    Bruce 800k
    Irwin 625k
    Schmeichel 530k
    Giggs Free
    Beckham Free
    Scholes Free

and countless others.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can't help but notice that about 80% of those players were bought when you could buy a house for about 10 grand so not really compareable to now.

Maradonna 5 million to Barca
    Laudrup on a free to Rangers
    Barnes to Liverpool for 900,000
    Dalglish to Liverpool 440,000
    Figo to barca 2.5 million

see what i'm getting at.
    Last edited by B.I.G.; 16th January 2010 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G. View Post
    Can't help but notice that about 80% of those players were bought when you could buy a house for about 10 grand so not really compareable to now.

Maradonna 5 million to Barca
    Laudrup on a free to Rangers
    Barnes to Liverpool for 900,000
    Dalglish to Liverpool 440,000
    Figo to barca 2.5 million

see what i'm getting at.
    no not really. Even with inflation you are talking about the best players in the world at the time that were bought cheap and were sold at MASSIVE profits or gave years and years of top flight service - ALL under the banner of Sir Alex.

We are talking about Fergie compared to Rafa - who, apart from Torres has pretty much done fuck all with his 250 million. And lets be honest Torres was a fluke for RAFA. He'll be gone soon enough anyway you can't have a player of that quality playing for a club that cant even get into Europe and hasn't won any domestic homours for 20 years. Gerrard will be gone soon too - he's on his last legs as it is. At least our old loyals Giggs & Scholes can retire with their trophy cabinets absolutely bursting with silverware. Oh to see Gerrards face when he retires knowing he hardly won fuck all lol.

You can talk as much shit as you like m8 cus FINALLY it is proven how low your club has fallen and MAYBE just MAYBE we can go forward without having to hear all the living in the past bullshit from Liverpool fans and we can crack on with decent banter.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Benitez not under threat...until they can't even beat Stoke!

When is this so-called Liverpool revival going to happen, where their class and experience shines through? I've been waiting a long time for it and still no sign...

NB. Before Liverpool fans moan about the penalty they 'should've' had, it doesn't matter, because they were so shocking and missed so many other opportunities, they would've probably missed the penalty too...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I heard a rumour,mind a rumour going around Liverpool that if anyone buys out Tom or Jerrys share then Benitez's contract will become void.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Liverpool are now officially an average team.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ibobsy View Post
    I heard a rumour,mind a rumour going around Liverpool that if anyone buys out Tom or Jerrys share then Benitez's contract will become void.
    Doubt that's true. Mind you, a new owner could just sack him, like any sensible person would.

For the team they've got, Liverpool aren't average - they're seriously underachieving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast