Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Turkey holiday help

right was going to salou but change of plans and it seems Turkey is on the books.
    ive never been before so would love some tips of places to go stay best part of turkey etc.

I keep hearing its a dirty shit hole, but thats all hearsay.

whats the prices like eating out ?
    what are the do's dont's drinking water etc.

taking 2 kids (5) & (13) so would prefer somewhere for them to enjoy too.

any help would be appreciated lads.
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Turkey holiday help

Hi m8
    Try Side (pronounced seeday) its nice there, fairly cheap and clean and tidy, not too rowdy and not full of 18yr olds on wiz but still some good nightlife nightlife.
    cheers
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd recomend Marmaris, Fethiye, Kusadasi, Hisaronu, or Olu Deniz. I hear Side is nice but never been there.

I've holiday'd in Turkey 5 times now an am goin back out there in May, cant wait. I have family members that like it so much over there they bought an apartment!

The weather, the food are the people are absolutely fantastic, theres not a lot more you'd want from a holiday

The beer to get out there is called Efes, nice stuff

The prices 5 years or so ago were incredibly cheap, its a touch dearer now but still great value for money. You can get a six course meal for about a fiver per person, a damn decent one too.

Forget talk of it being a shithole, I wouldnt say it was like that at all.

You cant drink the tap water but you can brush your teeth with it, just like the main holiday hotspots of europe really.

I'd say pick a nice big hotel and go all inclusive, you'd struggle to find a bad deal. Allow extra spends to go out and explore restaurants etc, in all my time out there eating at many restaurants I've never once had a bad meal, they dont half know how to cook over there

Good luck

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's an amazing place to visit, the kids will do well as the Turks seem to enjoy having children around. I've not been all inclusive, and whilst I know a lot of people like it, I would always prefer to eat out every day/night as the food really is a bit of an adventure.
    It's still fairly cheap, but not as it used to be. I personally felt Kusadsi was a bit "Blackpool", but really liked Marmaris and Istanbul. I'm sure wherever you end up at you'll all have a great time.
    Apathy? can't be arsed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Went to Marmaris last year, predominantly chose Turkey because it was out of the Euro zone.

Three of us went, all inclusive - cheap as chips. Drink was about two quid a pint and the food was as cheap as erm ... chips when we ate out.

Marmaris is seemingly noted for "Bar Street" but we never made it there - were told before it was a bit chavvy. Where we were stopping, on the beach front, there was a massive row of bars/restaurants and we stopped there and weren't bored.

Do remember it being fucking hot though! Oh yeah, don't drink the water and the plumbing is naff so most discourage you from flushing bog roll after wiping!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wijit View Post
    It's an amazing place to visit, the kids will do well as the Turks seem to enjoy having children around. I've not been all inclusive, and whilst I know a lot of people like it, I would always prefer to eat out every day/night as the food really is a bit of an adventure.
    It's still fairly cheap, but not as it used to be. I personally felt Kusadsi was a bit "Blackpool", but really liked Marmaris and Istanbul. I'm sure wherever you end up at you'll all have a great time.

Kusadasi is awesome if you go into the Old Town which has more traditional bars etc. There is a great little bar called the Limon bar that is run by a crazy bloke called Suliman that we go to every time we stay in Kusadasi. We love Turkey the people are awesome and we have been about 8 times now

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Turkey is nice mate, just stick to the more well known parts (Hisaronu, Marmaris, Fethiye, etc)

Pros
    Beer is cheap
    Food is cheap
    Entertainment is cheap
    Lots of places to visit (salt pools, roman ruins etc.)
    Weather is wonderful (if you like it super hot)

Cons
    Buying at markets can be hassle (bartering - ok if you like doing it)
    Do not under any circumstances drink the water (buy bottled)
    Being able to flush the bog paper is a dream over there mate (goes in the bin instead)
    The usual dont annoy the police by making a knob of yourself

I would recommend it tho mate, went a few years back and had a great time

Kids will have a ball too
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I vowed NEVER to set foot in TURKEY. But Last Year i was forced to go. Well the Mother inlaw paid for it. All i can say is that it was the best holliday ive been on. Some of you saw my posts last summer about it. Altinkum was a great place. perhaps we will try somewhere close next time as the coach to the hotel took hours. The top temp went upto 118 and it was bloody HOT. Kids loved the Hotel but the hotels food was rank. We ate out most night and was very cheap, also the beer was cheap. the locals were too friendly if you know what i mean. but they loved the kids and made an effort to welcome them into their bars. I would reccomend Altinkum for a family. The beaches are fine and clean, just make sure the hotel your stopping in has a good reputation.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i am going to olu deniz in august to get married on a 40ft yacht !! 24 of us are going in the same hotel !
    I have been once before to Icemeler and it was brilliant !! also in icmeler they are not allowed to pester you outside the shops witch is a big bonus ...i said i would never go there cos you hear of the women getting hasseld ,but either my mrs is pig ugly or i found all the gay bars cos i got more attention off the men than her !
    Last edited by beaconboy; 1st March 2010 at 09:00 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Olu Deniz is quite a quiet resort I was there a few years back - it was really cheap as well and the people were lovely Im going to Icemeler in May which is supposed to be a bit more lively.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ok lads plumped for Marmaris, going to book tomoz.
    if you can give me as much info about the place things to do eating out prices etc etc
    found out today you MUST have a £10 note when entering the country when you hand over your passport, robbing gits know how to take advantage of tourists.

so yer as much info even hotels you have stayed in etc, im a turkey virgin and very apprehensive about places ive never been to before.

cheers

Consoles
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by consoles View Post
    if you can give me as much info about the place things to do eating out prices etc etc
    found out today you MUST have a £10 note when entering the country when you hand over your passport, robbing gits know how to take advantage of tourists.

so yer as much info even hotels you have stayed in etc, im a turkey virgin and very apprehensive about places ive never been to before.

cheers

Consoles
    Marmaris is great mate get yourself on a few boat trips turtle island is a very good trip, Don't book with the reps haggle with the fellas on the beach you'll get a better deal, Icmeler is only across the bay nice beach there and a market if your into that, The people are really friendly and the food is spot on, If you want to save money have your meals away from the beach front but its not expensive anywhere really, My daughter goes there twice a year with her mates and they all love it, Have a good holiday mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Booked 14 nights at the Anastasia Hotel, read the reviews on holidaywatchdog.com and not one person had a bad thing to say about the Hotel.

also bought extra luggage allowance for some dodgy fake goods really looking forward to going now

cheers

Consoles
    creatures”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good for you mate, hope you enjoy it. I'm off to Kusadasi tonight, flight takes off at 9pm and I cannot fuckin wait

When you get there have a walk around, theres loads of places to eat and you will get hassled as you look around. Getting hassled isnt a bad thing, if you're not interested just say no thanks and carry on walking, if you are interested go on in! If you walk the same streets enough the "hasslers" end up becoming mates with you, there'll all great people, really really friendly. I've eaten in loads of places in Marmaris and never once had a bad meal, they really do know how to cook out there and as said before its very cheap.

I've been to Marmaris 3 times now and I'd go back in the blink of an eye. Icmeler is a short bus ride up the road and worth a look as its a nice quiet place. The buses are like minibuses and are called Dolmus's (pronounced doll-mushes), they're everywhere and you can just jump on, pay a very small fee (cant remember how much but its peanuts) and you just drop it into a box next to the driver.

The waterpark is good, worth a look.

At one end of the main street in Marmaris theres a big statue, if you turn right you're in the harbour, if you turn left theres a Burger King and a little bit past it is a supermarket call Tanzas (pronounced Tans-ash) its a dead big place and its just like a massive Tesco.

One thing you'll have to do is visit a barber for a shave - they are awesome. They shave you with a cut-throat razor and then give you a full upper body massage. You have to try it

Enjoy yourself, I'll be back in 2 weeks

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Been to Turkey three times myself, each of which was in a small resort called Gumbet near Bodrum.

Wasn't let down at all, was 18 the first time I went and had a great time. Plan to take the better half and our baby there maybe later on this year.

Second time we went, we went with a budget holiday provider and got a shit hotel. When I came back to post my review of the hotel I struggled to find a good one - that let down the holiday but didn't and won't stop me going back.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Been to Turkey three times myself, each of which was in a small resort called Gumbet near Bodrum.

Wasn't let down at all, was 18 the first time I went and had a great time. Plan to take the better half and our baby there maybe later on this year.

Second time we went, we went with a budget holiday provider and got a shit hotel. When I came back to post my review of the hotel I struggled to find a good one - that let down the holiday but didn't and won't stop me going back.
    Don't go back to Gumbet until next year. The whole town is a building site at the moment and when I say it's a building site I am not exagerating mate !

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Good to know, thanks.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Also they love £10 and £20 notes you will get far better deals using sterling to barter for things in the shops and at Markets
    Went Marmaris for the 1st time last year and i loved it.
    Loads of fake gear, you can get 6 designer shirts for a tenner.
    Trouble i had was i couldnt get drunk, i was drinking red bull and vodka, but im sure the gits wernt putting any vodka in
    Enjoy anyway m8.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by consoles View Post

cheers

Consoles
    I've been to Turkey about 3 or 4 times now and have never had any problems. I would recommend going on a few day trips because they are so cheap. I went on a beginners scuba diving course which was all day and included your dinner on the boat and it was only £24 for the day. Been on other trips to which are just as cheap but obviously don't book them through the reps but nip into your nearest town and book them direct.

One thing that caught me out on my first time in Turkey was the cost of everything in the airport on the way home. I flew out of Dalaman and the cost of the food and drink is a rip off, from memory it was like £6 a pint and £9 for a McDonalds meal so just be weary of that. It is probably the only airport I've been in where the majority of people do not buy any drinks and food but just sit there. I like a pint and don't mind paying normal airport prices but I wasn't going to pay what they were asking. Have a good hol though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

They do some really good day trips to Israel at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast