Close

ABCMan

Default new ati radeon, wipes the floor with gf4

runnin in standard state the new agpx8 readion 9700 pro posted the highest mark ever on the 3d mark 2002 se tests (14641, gf 4 ti4600 in same mode gets 12609), with aa + af turned on it posted results that were almost DOUBLE the speed of an gf4 Ti4600 on almost every important test, actualy being slowed down by the speed of the p4 2.6ghz processor.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzQwLDM= if you want to see the results and read why it might pay to switch from nvida to ati.

with the closure of visiontek nvida is now struggling to find anyone able to fully support its graphics sets, only small manufacturing companies remain now, companies like creative had their gf cards made by vision tek along with many other companies. hercules have now switched alligence to ati, at present nvida have no chipset that comes close to the ati radeon 9700 pro (although it does cost $400).

those thinking of upgrading their graphics cards my need to think of following nintendos lead and go with the radeon 2 over an nvida chipset.

On quake 3
    Very good scaling across the board and the Radeon 9700 Pro simply blows the Ti4600 and Parhelia out of the water when the antialiasing and anisotropic filtering are turned on. What we found really surprising was the AMD 1.5 scores. Even with the CPU being 1GHz slower, the Radeon 9700 Pro still outpaces the Ti4600 by 100%.
    On 3d mark 2002 se build 330
    The Radeon 9700 Pro delivers scores of over 10,000 3DMarks even at 1600x1200 resolution. That is simply amazing. What is even more incredible is the fact that even with the AA and AF turned on we still have benchmarks nearing the 10K threshold. Do take notice again that we see the AMD 1.53GHz system not get beat once by the Ti 4600 and the Pentium 4 with or without the AA and AF turned on.
    Overall
    The ATi Radeon 9700 Pro is the best video card we have ever laid our hands on. ATi is going to be first to market with some very impressive technology and the gamers are sure to take notice. I think the benchmarks at 4XAA/16XAF speak for themselves. The image quality is nothing less than beautiful in both 2D and 3D. Then considering we already know it is going to be a powerhouse card that has the ability to run DOOM]|[ next year and you are almost guaranteed to have a nice long term upgrade for your hard-earned cash. I just don't see how the ATi Radeon 9700 Pro is going to leave you any way but satisfied.

i'm impressed

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think I should point out here that the 9700 is very cpu limited and you're going to need a serious amount of CPU power to achieve the performance you want out of this card. Although reviews have stated that 1600x1200 with 6xAA on is playable, most reports I have seen state that drops back to 1024x768 are necessary to achieve a decent frame rate.

Anyway as I've said before, I'm waiting to see what nVidia brings with the NV30. Plus my 8500 still lets me play MOHAA @ 1280x1024 32xAF @85FPS

ABCMan

well, they tested it on a xp1500 and it still beat a ti4600 running on a xp2600 so you dont need that much serious speed, in fact they said that the speed boost it gave an xp1500 was remarkable and enough to make people happy with just switching the vid cards untill the next gen 133fsb amd processors were ready.

(please note that on this subject i have almost zero knowelege so i can only report what i read)
    Last edited by ABCMan; 26th August 2002 at 11:32 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

looks interesting the new radeon card it's a shame the matrox parhelia dosn't perform as it should that was the card i was looking forward to untill i saw the benchmarks

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's about time ATI released some serious Competition to Nvidias cards - its not good for anyone if its a one horse race. Nvidia will probally match or leapfrog the 9700 with its NV30 chipset and then its all down to price. If the best card in the world cost £350 - and the second best is £200 - I will go with the 2nd best every time unless there is a massive difference. These cards are never worth buying in the first 6 months of release as there are no games that will need this kind of power. I am currently Pro Nvidia because of the GF4 4200 - which is about £100 - if ATI release a cut down version of the 9700 for £150ish then I will be Pro ATI but until they start releasing decent Budget cards that are in reach of most gamers they can release what ever they like - I still wont buy it.
    And thats my 2 cents.

Cheers
    Ironman

ABCMan

there is one at around $330 ati 9700 pro oem and this card is proving to be almost double the performance of the gf4 4600 also remember the main maker of all the gf cards has now closed down so even if the nv30 is better who is going to make it and where are any economies of scale?

Thanks
    Karma Level

erm wot is all the fuss about those benchmark scores u cant tell the differnce in framerate anyway with the naked eye its just numbers,i say if u r happy with wot u got then stick with it till ur bored not cus of a slightly higher framerate

Thanks
    Karma Level

All looks great for ATI but they have always been a pain in the arse for not updating drivers so if you buy one of thier new cards and have any driver issues your gonna be waiting a loooong time for an update. (going on past history).

sanjuro
    "Right! Bring in the perverts!" - Ispettore Morosini (Enrico Salerno)
    L'UCCELLO DALLE PIUME DI CRISTALLO

Thanks
    Karma Level

HI
    I agree with you there m8. A.T.I get your fingers out and look after your customers . There i feel better now LOL:shock:
    THE TRUTH IS HERE SOMEWHERE :coffee:

ABCMan

well as i've got a radeon i must agree, the software is apalling and as for updates, only when hell freezes over i'm afraid, still the 9700 has xp drivers and m$ shouldnt be launching another bug ridden piece of spyware for a while so maybe it'll last this cards lifespan?