Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Smokers 'will die 10 years early'

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Smokers 'will die 10 years early'

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><!-- S BO --><!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> About 12m British adults smoke

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA -->Smoking cigarettes cuts an average of 10 years off a person's life, a landmark study suggests.

But it also shows that quitting at any age reduces the risks of dying from smoking-related diseases.

The findings, published in the British Medical Journal, are the culmination of a 50-year study involving 34,439 men.

The study, which began in 1951, was the first to confirm the link between smoking and lung cancer exactly 50 years ago.

Fifty year study

All of those involved in the study were born between 1900 and 1930 and all worked as doctors.

They were each asked about their smoking habits at the start of the study in 1951.

Researchers contacted them periodically over the next 50 years to see if those habits had changed.

<!-- S IBOX --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibtbg> Since the study began in 1951, tobacco has killed around 100 million people

Professor Alex Markham,
    Cancer Research UK

<!-- S ILIN -->Sir Richard Doll: A life's research
    <!-- E ILIN -->
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IBOX -->They also gathered information on those who died during the period.

They have now analysed that data.

They found that men who have never smoked lived on average 10 years longer than those who smoked for most of their lives.

Men who smoked were at least twice as likely to die before the age of 70 as non-smokers.

They were up to three times more likely to die before they were 90 compared to those who never took up the habit.

The average age of these men when they started smoking was 18. On average, they said they smoked around 18 cigarettes a day.

It was already known that about half of all persistent cigarette smokers are killed by their habit, a quarter while still in middle age (35-69 years). The biggest killers are cancer, heart disease and stroke.

But the study also revealed that giving up cigarettes at any age has major health benefits.

It found that men who had stopped smoking by the time they were 30 lived as long as those who never smoked.

Those who quit at 40, lived just one year less than those who had never smoked.

Those who stopped smoking at 50 added six years onto their lives, while those who kicked the habit at 60 added an extra three years to their life.

Major killer

Sir Richard Doll, who has been involved in the study since the start, said smoking was still a major killer in the UK.

"Over the past few decades prevention and better treatment of disease have halved non-smoker death rates in the elderly in Britain.

"But these improvements have been completely nullified by the rapidly increasing hazards of tobacco for those who continue to smoke cigarettes."

Sir Richard Peto, professor of medical statistics and epidemiology at Oxford University has collaborated on the study for 30 years. He said smoking was responsible for millions of death.

"Partly because of earlier results from this 50-year-long study many people in Britain gave up smoking, and this country now has the best decrease in tobacco deaths in the world.

"But, in many countries tobacco deaths are still going up. In Britain, tobacco has caused six million deaths over the last 50 years. But, worldwide, tobacco will soon be causing six million deaths each year."

Professor Sir Charles George, medical director of the British Heart Foundation, welcomed the study.

"It provides a clear demonstration of the harmful effects of persistent cigarette smoking, which on average shortens life by around 10 years.

"Both for heart disease and for cancer the benefits of stopping smoking are clear cut and the earlier this occurs, the better."

Professor Alex Markham of Cancer Research UK said: "Tobacco is responsible for a third of all UK cancer deaths. Since the study began in 1951, tobacco has killed around 100 million people globally." Professor Colin Blakemore, chief executive of the Medical Research Council, says: "Fifty years ago, the findings of this unique study had a major impact on our understanding of the links between smoking and disease. "These new findings complete the picture on smoking-related deaths."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3826127.stm

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Smokers 'will die 10 years early'

Got to keep the population down somehow eh ? The tax on fags is another earner for the governments, not to mention all the cancer drugs being sold worldwide.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gave up smoking a week ago. I've tried b4 but this time I'm totally determined. I hate smoking and I plan on never touching a cigarette again.

Its only been 8 days so its still early days.
    -=+PhliX+=-

Thanks
    Karma Level

only 3 days for me , but its a start

i think the pivitol point you need to reach, is when someone asks you how long its been since you smoked, you say 'about 5 months', as opposed to 'about 151 days and 3 hours'

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

still smoking here, but good luck to anyone trying to give up

Thanks
    Karma Level

never started here

Thanks
    Karma Level

after having taken an early morning trip to the post office a couple of mondays back to hand in a passport form, and seeing all the old ****ers going for their pension.. im quite happy to die 10 years early if it means i dont end up like them...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode
    after having taken an early morning trip to the post office a couple of mondays back to hand in a passport form, and seeing all the old ****ers going for their pension.. im quite happy to die 10 years early if it means i dont end up like them...
    I was in the same queue, and he's right, at least 90% of that queue had no idea what the hell they were doing, could only walk at 0.4 mph, and kept saying "right ye are son" to nobody for no aparrent reason at all. :shutup

Imo send them to the vet and get them put down.

erm yeah, got little off topic , back onto the topic at hand,

......smoking is bad, mmmmkay :thumbs

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

[QUOTE=4me2]Smokers 'will die 10 years early'
    QUOTE]

They will if they keep smokling in the lift where I live !! :annoyed: :grr:
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

all this anti smoking crap the government etc. keep shoving down the nations neck is really starting to p1ss me off. If people choose to smoke, as long as they consider the people around them, so what.
    The uk is turning into a nation of obese bstards because people are eating instead of lighting up, either way your going to shorten your expected life span, but i'd rather die coughing than bed ridden with my jaw wired shut to stop me having another big mac.
    survived for a year on poisionous monkeys

Thanks
    Karma Level

A friend of mine (52) who has smoked for the majority of his life had a stroke on monday. The doctors blamed it mainy on smoking and his lifestyle. It does make you seriously think about smoking and what it does to you. He has been advised to quit and I think i will try and do the same.

Thanks
    Karma Level

awsome what the hell happened to this thread?! eeeee!

Thanks
    Karma Level

this thread has switched from normal baccy to the whacky stuff

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

well i smoke about 10 spliffs a week and if i pop me cloggs 10 years too early then that means that the chances of me dying while i still having control of my bodily functions increases dramatially

the caviat to all this is even at 33 there is still plenty of time for someone to find a cure for the big "C"

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well my friend here is still going strong

Thanks
    Karma Level

the only srtrong thing on that squirel is his breath

btw wtf is happeing in this thread, did it smoke 1 of my Bob Marley Specials?

Thanks
    Karma Level

smoking is for c**ts............

Thanks
    Karma Level

i did a closing table tag at the top of this post that should hopefully fix the thread, think a post above/signature has some dodgy html in it
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

or it might **** it up even more, either way

EDIT: seems to have fixed it except my post fixing it is the most ****ed up of all
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

fixed, blaggard, dont post shite code into yer posts please or you will recieve a temp ban, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast