Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Silencing my Chieftec Dragon (Full Tower)

Has anybody tried to silence their Dragon? I have though about going down the www.quietpc.co.uk route but their stuff is so expensive (especially the acoustic padding). Anyway, does any body have any advice about silencing my computer?

I don't really want to replace any components (they are reasonable quiet anyway), I am just looking to reduce the noise levels. Oh and before anybody says it I know I shouldn't have got a Dragon is I wanted to silence it! But it's nice black case got the better of me :o:

Anyway, If anybody has any advise about getting the noise down I will be very grateful. I have looked at the Akasa Pax Mate but read somewhere that instaling this would be a nightmare on a case such as the Dragon. Oh and one other quick thing, where (on the net) is the cheapest place to get all this stuff?

Thanks for all the help
    JMC

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol ur trying to silence a dragon? the word IMPOSSIBLE comes to mind, the air flow design makes it more or less open. so whatever fan or mat u put in it, u are still going to hear noise.

I can recommend some solutions however.

First off DONT get sound absorbing mats. They have NO / Little effect. Little meaning next to nothing because the sound will just come out of the front air holes. However you can purchase some silent fans. You have to find out which is the noisest thing in your computer.

My guess its the CPU fan (because in most cases it is) so all you need to do is either get a quiet fan or a 60 > 80mm adapter and a 80mm fan. Papst i highly recommend and will cost you like £12 a fan.

If you go to http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

And then fans and papst you will see this papst fan...

Papst 8412 NGL 80mm fan (4 pin) (FG-003-PA)
    Sintec Sleave Bearing for ultra-quiet operation
    CFM = 19.4cfm
    RPM = 1500
    dBA = 12
    Dimensions = 80x80x25

Thats 12 dBA which is like a whisper and probably the LOWEST there is with that much CFM.

Oh did anyone mention to you that the sound absorbing mats STICK to high heaven when you install them and with your dragon case having a air flow design it will stick ur entire house out. These mats on a dragon are ONLY best to reduce sound vibrations and from ur fans changing ur case into a loud speaker.

BTW u would have to buy 2 sets of these mats to cover your case with it being a FULL tower. (not even 1 is enough to cover a midi tower).

Papst fans are pretty expensive at 12 quid each but i recommend them if you wish to silence ur pc. It doesnt really matter what dBA ur fans are at the back as long asthey are below 24dBA because they are at the back and if u have ur pc put away but if its open ur gonna have to look into buying some quiet fans too for the back.

IF you find papst are TOO expensive there are EVERCOOL they are supposidly 24dBA or something like that but act more like 28dBA and are loud but not as loud as most fans. They are cheap (around £4) each and ideal if u want to silence ur pc a bit.

Other than that you can always fill in all the holes in ur dragon to stop the sound from leaking out at the front.

I have 3 sets of Akasa Pax Mate in my dragon and they are NOT a bugger to install. Infact they are VERY easy (if you use to collect stickers and sticker albums when ur a kid it is a wiz). The side panels are straight forward its either the bottom or the top which is a little more dificult. However if u peal the first bit off a bit and then press down and then peal as u press down u cant go wrong.

but yeah Akasa Pax Mate STINK and will STINK for a week or two.

Another thing if you have f ans in every slot in ur dragon u will notice A LOT of dust build up on the outside as the fans are sucking in air, just clean this off and DONT whatever u do DONT get fan filters!!!!

Shop around for fans

http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/
    http://www.tekheads.co.uk/
    http://www.coolcasemods.com/
    http://www.overclock.co.uk
    Last edited by EUPHORiA; 13th September 2002 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Euphoria, cheers for the advise. Yeah, your right the CPU fans in thew thing which makes the most noise, although it is a Sanyo-Denki 80mm Fan which are supposed to be 'quiet' fans. Anway cheers for the advise on the Papst I might have a look into that as it is so quiet!

Anyway, I think I will have to look into this some more. I might try and box it up first as to get rid of some of the holes before I start to sound proof it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sanyo-Denki are around 33dBA pretty quiet yes but they are powerful. try a fan convertor and moving up to a 80mm fan with low dBA. Other than that its probably cheaper buying a new case with less holes