Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Anyone still play MK2 on MAME?

Yeah, Mortal Kombat 2, the game that's almost 10 years old. I played it to death on SNES (what a great port that was) and I have recently rediscovered the game, now that my computer is powerful enough to play the original arcade game with MAME.

My favorite is the "Mortal Kombat 2 Challenger Hack". With this you get the following:

- unlimited time for finishing moves
    - all hidden characters are thrown into the mix: Noob Saibot, Smoke, Jade... the battle plan is random. Sometimes you get all of them, sometimes just one or two. Of course, you can still fight them by "earning" them too.
    - Sometimes you fight Kintaro first! ...and sometimes, also a second time later!
    - When Dan "Toasty!" Forden appears, he stays on the screen a few seconds longer than usual.
    - If you do Sub-Zero's two-part "Freeze + Uppercut" fatality on the acid pit stage, instead of the normal body-shattering display, the frozen victim will get knocked into the acid pit.

That's all I've noticed so far that's different in this hack.

I've also discovered lots of tricks to take advantage of the AI, but I won't go into that now, i'll wait and see if anyone is actually interested in talking about this first.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I still play the original mk2 every now and again. Does the sound screw up for you too? I have to crank my speakers up all the way to hear anything. Same things with umk3.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yea i play ulimate mortal kombat 3 for snes sometimes online usin zsnes emulator....for some reason i cant get mortal kombat 3 to work

still a fun game

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone still play MK2 on MAME?

Originally posted by Phreaker47
    ...almost 10 years old...
    so what?

MK 1, 2 and 3 were great...4...let's just say I wish it never existed. Ultimate and Trilogy had their pluses but they weren't that great...I never got the point of adding an "AGRESSOR" bar for Trilogy. Maybe it was an attempt to match Capcom's Street Fighter series and many other fighting games (King Of Fighters, Samurai Showdown, Last Blade 2, hell, even World Heroes).

Anyway, I have great hopes for MK5. I hope it's as much as possible like a 3D version of 1-3 and as little as possible like 4.

if you want to play some MK II pm me and we'll set up a meet on kaillera

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by intalex
    I still play the original mk2 every now and again. Does the sound screw up for you too? I have to crank my speakers up all the way to hear anything. Same things with umk3.
    When you load the game, hit then select 'dip switches'. Turn 'Service Mode' ON. Hit again to hide MAME's menu. Now you have the game's operator menu, where among other things, you can turn the volume all the way up! That solves that problem. While you're there, you can set the machine to "Free Play", and the computer difficulty to 'Very Hard' (). Choose exit from that menu, then hit again and flip Service Mode OFF. You're all set. It's the same with all the MKs and some other Midway games too.

Yeah EOF, you're right... but you know how it is with the flames around here... some people are looking for any excuse. I liked MK1, great and shockingly new for it's time, MK2 was the pinnacle... MK3 was OK but i'm not a big fan of the combo system it introduced. Two player is fun on MK3 but the AI with one player is incredibly cheap... I NEVER figured out how to beat Shao Khan with any character in MK3.. people that have posted 'strategies' have all admitted that a lot of luck is required.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah i still play these MK series games on mame myself.. i love em cuz they're arcade perfect emulated. i use a psx controller connected to my computer, i can't stand using a keyboard. i even play ki and ki2 (arcade emulated) sometimes too

Thanks
    Karma Level

Baah mortal combat 2 doesn't work on my mame, got 1674 games and most and at least 600 of those doens't work :'(

Thanks
    Karma Level

Street Fighter II was always better then MK.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use the OLD sidewinder pad for MAME (the newer ones have fewer buttons.) Eight buttons on front plus left and right triggers make it perfect for MAME and all the console emulators too.

I agree that Street Fighter II was/is superior in many ways, but MK2 has that guilty-pleasure visceral action going. Years ago an EGM reviewer put it very well: Street Fighter II is the "sports car" of fighting games, Mortal Kombat is the "Cadillac".

Speaking of SF2, I never play it on mame because the mechanics of the game are very tough to do on a d-pad for me, I need a real joystick. I should get one of those psx>PC converters. I have a killer figher stick for PSX... however, I have Street Fighter Collection 2 for PSX which is perfect. I'm a KEN player, by the way.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, it's quite addictive. I always find the final battle frustratingly difficult. (Constant jump-kicks seem to be the only way to win.)

One fighting game that i'm addicted to is Time Killers, does anyone else feel like there's something sinister about that game?... :-) Sawing off both arms so that your opponent can only fight with their legs is a sick idea, the developers were obviously trying to top the gore of the Mortal Kombat series.

Talking about sinister games, has anyone played some of the games by Exidy in Mame? I don't know how "Chiller" got past the censors when it was released.

I think with all Williams games you can quickly bring up the control menu (for volume) by pressing F2. I played right through Smash TV the other night, my brain was completely numb from how repetitive it gets but i wanted to see the ending.

NBA Hangtime is another good game worth trying out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

God bless MK. Just for fun, I loaded it up in Mame and it brought back a lot of memories. Obviously, we played a lot more SF over MK back in the day, but fr what it was worth, the game is a classic.

Phreaker47: Ken Player? Damn strait. Hell, I even play Ken in Puzzle fighter.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Holy crap, I thought I was the only one that still plays it. I have never stopped playing this game for the last nine years since it hit the arcades. Before I used MAME, I played the SNES conversion non-stop. This is still my favorite game of all time. I can remember in junior high, going to 7-11 to play in the morning. Best moment was the first time I did Liu Kang's Dragon Fatality. Still think its pretty cool. Hope the new MK is going to be as good as the old one, but I still think that button smashing combos are lame.

And DR, there is an easy pattern to beat Shao Kahn in MKII. Its surprisingly easy but pretty cheap. All you do is jump right in front of him and kneel, then he'll either point his finger or try to hit you (and miss). Just uppercut him. Repeat and you should double flawless him with ease.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by sixth_el
    yeah i still play these MK series games on mame myself.. i love em cuz they're arcade perfect emulated. i use a psx controller connected to my computer, i can't stand using a keyboard. i even play ki and ki2 (arcade emulated) sometimes too

my favorite is the KI arcade emulated which is the best fighting game to come out thus far. As far as combos goes that is. But Ki2 is nowhere to be found. could u help me out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by estacy

my favorite is the KI arcade emulated which is the best fighting game to come out thus far. As far as combos goes that is. But Ki2 is nowhere to be found. could u help me out.
    hmm, downloading KI2 is illegal unless you actually own the arcade machine. So, try not to request illegal software, it's against the rules.

KI isn't comparable to the MK series. It's fun nailing 80-hit combos with everyone though

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fuck yeah, I love this...

Here's my favorite MK2 strategies against the computer:

This strategy will work with all characters except: Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Mileena, Kitana, Raiden. To win all the normal battles (even on VERY HARD): Crouch, or crouch + block if you're against a character that has a low attack (Mileena, Ninjas, maybe Raiden). Let the enemy walk up to you, then JUST before you're about to get thrown (what they will always do), jump back. Most of the time, they will jump forward towards you. Now they are wide open for just about any attack. Uppercut them if you want. Give them a jax jump kick + backbreaker combo. One great combo that works with all characters is this, right as they're landing in front of you: HP+HP+HP+HK. Toasty.

Kintaro: This is so easy it's stupid. However, he doesn't always let you do this. You can do it with anyone. When the fight starts, jump right at him with a jump kick. Hopefully he tries to throw an uppercut. If he does, you can get over it and land your jump kick. If he tries the uppercut once, he'll usually keep on doing it. Wait until he's just starting to get up and repeat the jump kicks. Just make sure you get your jump in deep enough to get over his uppercut. Sometimes he'll try his "warp jump" or a fireball. That's okay, either way, your jump kick will still land. When he's cornered from a few kicks, carefully time a crossover jump kick for the next one, then continue in the other direction. Sometimes, you can't get this going and he'll just block your jump kick and throw you. In that case, use your best backup tactic... my favorite is to use Kitana (by way of Shang Tsung morph) and just keep catching him in the fan wave (he'll walk right into it... just time it right) then do the jump punch + air fan + wave punch combo... land the first hit low, on his feet, or the third hit will miss.

Shao Khan: Kitana again. Do the same thing... time the fan lift right (just as he's reaching sweep distance from you) and you can catch him over and over. Do the three hit combo. If you're using one of the characters that lacks a good strategy against him, there's a cheesy method you can do: jump over him for a crossover jump kick. Do the kick as LATE as you can, just before you land on the other side. He'll most likely block it, but if the blocked hit was late enough, you'll have time to jump away before he can counter. After jumping away once, repeat the process. You can chip away energy from him and win with a timeout! Your timing has to be perfect all around though, or you'll get nailed. Be ready for him to taunt you and quickly throw a projectile when he does.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ever look for a thread you started, and it's gone, like it's been deleted? That just happened to me with this one. I found it again by using search. Wonder why that happens?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was wondering how do you play online with MAME, if that is even possible. I know ZSNES allows it, but I haven't tried it before. If anyone wants to play vs. online, I'm game. I haven't played someone in ages (last time was probably in 1998 when I saw a machine in Vegas). So PM me to play also.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Dreaming
    I was wondering how do you play online with MAME, if that is even possible. I know ZSNES allows it, but I haven't tried it before. If anyone wants to play vs. online, I'm game. I haven't played someone in ages (last time was probably in 1998 when I saw a machine in Vegas). So PM me to play also.
    www.kaillera.com

Im just starting to check this out myself. Looks like you can join servers (I saw plenty up just now), create games, and play. So if one of us said "go to server x", we could meet up and battle!

Don't have time now, but I, Shang Tsung, will FINISH YOU!
    hahahah

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hey phreaker, sounds like a great idea. I can't host a server though cuz I'm behind a firewall through my router, so if you would like to set up a game, we can see which one of use is more rusted (or refined) after ten years of play. Getting excited just thinkin about playing again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I play lots of MAME games on my emulator PC, including MK2, but I need a joypad Doesn't play well with the keyboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast