Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default cheap turbo timer

is there any electronic geeks in here or someone that knows about turbo timers.
    im after making one. im able to make my own timer circuit using the old 555 chip and a few resistors and capacitors etc but does anyone how to integrate it into the ignition circuit on the car..i would imagine that it would have to go through a relay cos of the current...
    my car is an astra diesel.
    since this has a wire going to the fuel soloniod i think this could be some sort of trigger but how do i make it turn on with the ignition off. ie when the keys are out.

i dont suppose someone has had one fitted reciently have they?

any help or info would be much appreciated...

many thanks
    chris

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got me f*cked! A turbo is a mechanical device thats only outside influence is engine speed\Exhaust gas pressure, so.....where do electronics come into it? The wire going to your fuel solenoid is a cut off switch, thats all. In petrol engines you can cut the ignition to stop the engine, but deisels have no ignition system and therefore need some other way to shut them off, which is.....the fuel solenoid, no fuel, no run. Maybe I'm missing something here? but, like I say....you got me f*cked! Explain please.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Are you refering to a timer that activates the Oil pump to keep the oil moving in the turbo after the ignition is off ??????

If so, i know you can but kits for these.
    Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.
    -Isaac Asimov

Thanks
    Karma Level

all the timer does is to keep the engine running at tick over for a few extra seconds to allow oil to get back to the turbo other wize in the long run it fucks up the turbo bearings.

it must go inbetween the ignition circuit... when turn the ign off it sends a signal to start the timer then when it stops it would loose power to the solonoid..
    ive spoken to some geek at work and he said that i could use a relay to start it when the ign is turned off.

any clues on how to wire up the relay so that it gets power when the ign is off?

thanks for the help lads. but its has me stumped. ill keep blagging this bloke at work.
    ill keep you informed

Thanks
    Karma Level

Maybe I'm missing something here? Why not just save yourself the trouble and just don't turn the thing OFF for the extra few seconds? This is a waste of time anyway, if you think "a few seconds" will make any kind of difference at all to ANY turbocharger. There WAS a time when it was recomended that you should allow the engine to tick over for a few minutes to give the turbo time to cool down, but.......... we progressed! Unlike the boy racer "half a knowlege" fraternity that continue to quote gash like that so they can pretend to know ANYTHING at all about turbochargers. Bollocks m8, all bollocks. fit an oil cooler and a bigger electric fan on the radiator if you really HAVE to interfere with it. Wiring up a timer would be easy anyway, just cut into the switched side of the ignition and make sure the timer can handle the amps is all. Maplins or RS will supply a timer, one wire in, one out and a negative, simple. I don't think I've ever heard of such a stupid, worthless gimmick EVER though. Dunno about anyone else, but I'd sure manage to stop myself from switching it off for "a few seconds" if it saved me the hassle of fitting such a totally useless device. Max Power, huh?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Turbochargers run at temperatures of up to 1000 degrees C, and when the engine is turned off, the oil supply to the bearings is cut. If the turbo has not had time to cool down and the turbine has not had time to spin down (turbo impeller/ compressor wheels spin at any thing up to 250,000 rpm!) the heat in the turbo can cause excessive wear to the bearings in the turbo and any oil left in the turbocharger can crystalise due to the heat this will eventually cause the oil way through the turbo to block causing catastrophic damage!!!.
    Turbo timers ensure that the engine is left running for sufficient time to ensure that the turbo has cooled down and spun down. The turbo timers allow the engine to keep on running for a set time after the ignition key switch has been turned off. This is perfectly safe as the car can still be locked, and any immobilisers will activate once the engine has stopped. The car cannot be driven because if any movement is detected the engine stops.

this is only one of the hundreds of quotes from various websites and mags. im only doing this to see if i can make one work correctly on my car before i try and show my mate who wants to buy one for his scoob. mr magic in here whould also like one on his modded rover 220 turbo....if this project works and saves at least 1 turbo in 5 years thats 500 quid in your pocket init so its not really a POINTLESS post isit. id bet there is a few people who have read this post that might want one but cant afford 150 quid...

you sound like you know what your talking about, you must be in the trade..i used to be a hgv and heavy plant fitter a couple of years ago working on new mercs and they went through turbos as quick as brake pads. but we did extensive tests with timers cooling turbos down after long running periods and they do work.
    its not all about being a boy racer, some people who have modded or fast cars might like to look after their turbos since without it the performance would be shit.

now i currently work in reasearch and development a type of prototype dept for a truck manufacturing firm and they to are looking into it incorperating a timer into the ecu. surely they wouldnt waste time and money on it
    anyway you cant just cut into the circuit cos you want it to start when you remove the keys.ie no power.

fitting an oil cooler and a bigger electric fan on the radiator isnt going to do much cos its the exhaust gasses that are hot and anyways you could get two timers for the price of extra oil coolers and fans.

but thanks for the info m8.
    chris

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hmmmmm..Not wanting to upset the applecart here..BUT I had a "modded" Rover 220 turbo. It never missed a beat. All I did was sit for 30 secs or so after a HARD drive before I switched off. I didn't find it a hardship. Modern oils and turbo's are as Hybrid says, built for the environment and the performance.
    "Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just LOVE when people come on here asking for advice\help and then turn around in the very next post to tell ME how much they know on the subject, WOW!! For EVERY quote you can get about ANY modification to an engine I'll get you TWO that say the opposite and say it with conviction, Know why? Cos tuning is NOT an exact science! what's good for one engine will make another a slug. But......back to the subject seeing your intent on going on and on about the benifits of such a useless gadget.............. STILL bollocks! Save you money you reckon? talk sense man! ANYONE that is too thick or too impatient to let an engine tick over for a couple of minutes after a thrashing and ONLY after a thrashing DESERVES to have to replace everything the idiot breaks! Thanks for the second hand turbo info m8, but I kinda know a great deal more about the subject than YOU can tell me. I custom built exhausts and machined pistons to turbocharge cars 10 to 15 years ago thanks, I don't need you to tell me ANYTHING about them, let alone quote speil from ads trying to sell you some gimmick as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. My opinion is based on experience, fact and not sales bull. Fitting an oil cooler cools the oil D'uh! the same oil that lubricates the bearings your so worried about, and..........guess what ??? go on........guess??? that in turn cools the bearings!! Jeeeeez! And..............Mr research and developement! IF the anonymous company you SAY you work for IS considering such a thing, guess why?? go on.......... got it yet? It's cos it's almost ALWAYS someone that couldn't give a shit WHAT happens to ANY part in an engine he neither owns nor pays to have repaired, which brings us RIGHT back where we started, huh? It's STILL a gimmick! If "mate" *ahem* can't leave his ignition on for ONE extra minute, he doesn't deserve ANY help from ANYONE! Scoob?? WTF? Max Power again huh? Its a SUBARU!!! D'uh! Dump valves R us! Even though I think your wasting your time, I STILL told you a solution, so.......how about you go do something about it OTHER than talk p!sh about it? Scoob indeed! Anything else you want to tell me about the modern combustion engine or it's ancilleries? Keep it to yourself thanks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

will next time maybe i will keep my p!sh to myself. bloody hell cant you tell your scottish.
    pongo was quick to reply to this post giving his quick kind FRIENDY advice but you didnt go on and on and on to him did you about leaving it on for a few seconds after a hard thrashing. yes i am youngish and prob a "boy racer" and so maybe my mates but after a good ragging we will still carry on letting our turbos cool down.
    the timer is another gadjet or gimmick no doubt but i still will do my homework and get it working.
    there was no need to give any sarcastic answers, just simple ADVICE was wanted
    i cant believe you are a moderator, they are usually helpful.
    next time you see a post from me ignore it please. you started off so polite and helpful then maybe you got pmt or sumthin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by gingertosser
    will next time maybe i will keep my p!sh to myself.

*Please don't! It's amusing*
    bloody hell cant you tell your scottish.
    *My nationality is neither here nor there and CERTAINLY none of your business! One more racist remark will be all the excuse I need to boot you*
    pongo was quick to reply to this post giving his quick kind FRIENDY advice but you didnt go on and on and on to him did you about leaving it on for a few seconds after a hard thrashing.

*I think maybe you missed the point there? His reply agreed with a point I'D made, correct? Was my reply too long for you? do you get confused easily?*

yes i am youngish and prob a "boy racer" and so maybe my mates

*no kidding?*

but after a good ragging we will still carry on letting our turbos cool down.

*ragging is what terriers do instinctualy to whatever they get hold of in their jaws. It comes from them being bred to catch and kill rabbits and small game and is what they do to kill it*

the timer is another gadjet or gimmick no doubt but i still will do my homework and get it working.

*If you have to ask such a stupid question you have little or no concept whatsoever of the ignition system of a car and would better leave it to someone who does. They will have it done in under an hour, but........it'll still be a gimmick*

there was no need to give any sarcastic answers, just simple ADVICE was wanted

*sarcasm is, I'm afraid, what you gat when you ask silly questions about something and then try to regain your pride by assuming you can tell ME anything about the subject your begging answers for. Think about it, what else did you expect?*

i cant believe you are a moderator, they are usually helpful.

*Can't you? I'm gutted ! And I can't believe your a "gingertosser" :rolls: *

next time you see a post from me ignore it please.

*I'll decide who I ignore, YOU won't*

you started off so polite and helpful

*WOW! Did you not just say I wasn't helpful? Did I imagine that? or are you (once again) contradicting your OWN opinions? hmmmm, make your mind up please*

then maybe you got pmt or sumthin

*PMT, Pre Menstrual Tension, right? so now I'm a girl, huh? Or your just dafter that this post has painted you?*

OK doke, lets just study this, right? You can scroll down if you need to check. YOU asked a question, right? That question was IMHO, not explanitory enough, so............. I replied with an answer which gave my position and even explained WHY I didn't understand the question, right? still with me? too complex for you? Knee Doc replied next which made me wonder if YOU meant a secondary oil pump WITH a timer or, just something to keep the ignition on after the car is turned off. okay? Then YOU reply describing what you were talking about, which SHOULD have been in the first post, AND you go on to refer to the guy at your work as "some geek" who you'll be "blagging"? right? NOW! That was the point I really started to dislike you, between your original post being not very descriptive, your reference to the only person that had helped you thus far being a bit ungrateful, and I start to wonder if you actually deserve any help, BUT, still I reply with my thoughts on what I STILL consider a stupid gimmick, but still told you how to do it ANYWAY! ok? So, what do you do? post second hand quotes aimed at contradicting my opinion, right? correct me if I'm wrong, but YOU know nothing on the subject, I am a MECHANIC, right? So.........How do YOU think I will take such a condescending reply from someone who I've wasted time trying to help even though I see the answer as a futile waste of time? getting anywhere yet?

So..........In short, you got it right back at you!

Now that I've wasted more of my time on you I'll finish by setting it out in easy to absorb format just so you understand, OK?

1) A simple timer will do the job.
    2) Petrol engines require an ignition system, making it easy to cut into the wire at the ignition barrel that feeds the ignition system. The timer will then hold the power to the ignition for however long you require or set it, then cut off, simple.
    3) A Deisel engine has NO ignition system to cut, so.........the engine is stopped by cutting the power to a fuel stop solenoid, which is the circuit you will have to cut into. Same effect, the engine will continue to run till the timer stops.
    4) If you cannot build a timer that will take the amps the sircuit your cutting into carries, then you can incorporate a relay to carry the higher power load and switch IT with your timer.
    5) It's ALL a waste of time and effort, mainly mine, because it IS a gimmick which does NOTHING the driver can't do on his own anyway, and would ONLY benefit IDIOTS or owners of vehicles which are in the charge of people who don't give a sh!t about cooling ANYTHING cos THEY don't pay for repairs to it.
    6) The reason that maintaining the oil flow on tick over after a thrashing is thought (by SOME people) to be a good idea, ISN'T to get the oil back into the bearings! It never leaves it! Its to COOL the bearings down because they are part of a device driven by hot gasses, attached to a hot engine and working at high speeds which also generates heat, so......... MY advice to spend your efforts on COOLING the oil and engine will in turn cool EVERY component in AND on the engine, which in turn helps to ELIMINATE the problem, not MASK it.

Now?................... I think I've made my argument VERY clear, and I don't expect any more cheeky remarks about either my ability, my position OR my nationality. But you will remain petulant and ungrateful boy racer in my mind due to your comments and insults till you prove otherwise. I'll go take a look now at what efforts you've made to this forum that make you a deserving candidate for the help you ASSUME you deserve.

Knee Doc's post made me think that there would be a far better way

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default turbo timers

My personal opinion - on turbo timers - I would consider the japanese to probably be the best country in the world when it comes to performance car tuning. 99% of modified japanese performance cars have turbo timers fitted - if this is just a gimmick or useless why do they bother? Most timers have settings from 1min to 5mins - I dont know many people who after a 90min plus drive arriving at a destination would be bothered to sit in the car for 5 mins with the car idling. Personally I dont think a timer is necessary in an astra diesel but might be useful for your mates scooby. Also as a by-note it is illegal to leave a car with the engine running while unattended in the uk.
    cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can get a timer module for Clifford alarms i think. but i was told that mentioned on te insurance people either refuse to insure u or qoute sky high.
    [live=tbops]tbops[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh good!! Another one! 99% ??? huh? Your figures? or..........who's? Go on then, justify your arguement. I await with baited breath on your evidence. I also wonder why you would choose to participate in this thread as your first post here, instead of the into section where it SHOULD be. I think an IP check might just answer that question though, huh? Anyway............ 99% of modified japanese cars huh? what a load of p!sh. Justify! I'm waiting. Can I ask also, what age you are? what mag's you read? what you drive? and of course, your profession? Just so I know I'm wasting not wasting more time on ANOTHER boy racer.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by tbops
    You can get a timer module for Clifford alarms i think. but i was told that mentioned on te insurance people either refuse to insure u or qoute sky high.
    The arguement is NOT whether they exist, it's whether they are a worthwhile investment when only an idiot would be thick enough to forget to leave the engine running. Clifford, I assume are NOT a British company, right? Insurers recognise the BRITISH law that says its illegal to leave your car unattended with the engine running, that law does NOT cater for ANY electronic gadget that allows the engine to run EVEN if it is secured and the keys are not present! So........the driver has to be there anyway, right? which makes it as USELESS as I thought. A secondary oil pump that continues to pump the oil (on a timer) after the engine is shut down MIGHT be a feasable idea, but any gimmick that keeps the engine running unattended is neither legal nor usefull.

Thanks
    Karma Level

indeed...

If you care that much about your turbo then you won;t mind sitting in the car for 5 minutes to let it cool down a bit...

Thanks
    Karma Level

just posting what i know dude, the owner of scoobysport was telllin me about it. he also got a temperature module for the alarm so when left in the car park if the interior temperature gets to high the engine swiches on with the air con and cools the interior to just below the desired temperatue. just another gadget thats usless but different non the less.
    [live=tbops]tbops[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Haha what a neat trick!!
    Only trouble is, if you left it all day on a hot day, the car would use a lot of petrol just idling and keeping cool! Nice though

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not if u leave the thing in gear
    [live=tbops]tbops[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by tbops
    just posting what i know dude, the owner of scoobysport was telllin me about it. he also got a temperature module for the alarm so when left in the car park if the interior temperature gets to high the engine swiches on with the air con and cools the interior to just below the desired temperatue. just another gadget thats usless but different non the less.
    At least that gadget would be useful though, if not for the fact it would also be breaking the law here, it would only save minor discomfort for the few minutes it would take the air con to drop the temperature when the driver DOES get back into the car and, it sure would attract attention, probably from kids, in any street you left it when it started itself up. All you'd need to finish it off would be a set of "moon discs" and a red light going back and forth on the front grill. :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast