Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default IMPORTANT cpu stuff. remember the GOLDEN rule! please help.

i am building my new computer and i have a 2000+ athlon cpu. the manual tells me that b4 i attach the fan, i should use some thermal compound. i've never used the stuff b4 and someone told me that my fan has a built in thermal thingie-majigie.

on the bottom of the heatsink is a pink sticker. its sticky too. i dont see how this is a thermal thingamajigie...

i went to the cooler master website, and i dont think anything peels off the sticker thingie, and its not greasy at all.

Thanks
    Karma Level

peel off the pink sticker bit and you are left with a small square of the thermal compound stuff.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you're not sure then just clean the bottom of the heatsink, buy some Arctic Silver 3 thermal compound and put some on the CPU core. You could always buy some cheaper thermal compound but AC3 is the best.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i had no clue about this shit a while ago, then i found some info...so ill basically break down what u *should* do

1. scrape off the thermal compund already on the hsf (the sticker thing)

2. clean it VERY well with ISOPROPYL alchohol (preff 99%)

3. place ur hand on the outside of a plastic bag and wrap it over ur whole hand (so the inside of the bag is outside)

4. With ur arctic silver 3, place some, not much, on the heatsink, and run it in..

5. wipe off with a lint-free cloth

6. with a razor, apply an EVEN THIN layer of arctic silver to the cpu core (the raised part or the chip)

7. carefully put the heatsink on the cpu, without moving it (so all the compund is still spread evenly...

hope this helps, btw, my info is mainly from as website, just off the top of my head

hope it helps

ps. i dont think u will see much difference if u just use the sticker thing u have instead of arctic silver

the main difference u will see is the money u saved, and the time and tediousness(is this a word?) that u didnt waste (u all know what i mean lol)