Close

0.0.0.0 x 255.255.255.255 --- The Nexus of the Universe
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default software install and admin axs

well the pcs at my school are set that we can't install software

is there a way to get admin axs to the pc?

i believe they are using a software called Icon Lock that locks axs and there's a file called frzstate.exe which i think is in
    charge of it
    Last edited by PimpMasterT; 18th September 2002 at 07:00 PM.

please pm 4me2, ABCMan or Czarjunkie with an explanation why you failed to post or request help posting the email headers of the email you mentioned (along with the full headers) too late Ive banned him after no response for 48 hours (4me2)

Thanks
    Karma Level

what are they - 9x or nt/2k/xp?
    Go shagging in Prague or live it large in Vegas !!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I was about to say the same thing
    Have Fun.

U.N.C.L.E. X

More UNCLEX than last week but less next :woot:

Thanks
    Karma Level

yep
    what the os and then ill do it man
    i'll suck you off, if you ask nicely.

please sir, will you suck my................

Thanks
    Karma Level

it's xp

i deleted the folder using safe mode
    but aparently the software is reinstalled from the network so i would need away around that

please pm 4me2, ABCMan or Czarjunkie with an explanation why you failed to post or request help posting the email headers of the email you mentioned (along with the full headers) too late Ive banned him after no response for 48 hours (4me2)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Program Name: DepFrez

Executable Name: frzstate.exe

Required: User's choice

Comments: Deep Freeze from Hyper Technologies. "Freezes" the current software configuration so that an a re-boot all changes made refer back to their original settings. Not required for most users - more likely to be used by system administrators, for example
    Have Fun.

U.N.C.L.E. X

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level
    Last edited by unclex; 21st September 2002 at 10:36 PM.
    Have Fun.

U.N.C.L.E. X

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Remove Deep Freeze
    Turn Off Deep Freeze
    Deep Freeze can be turned off by for one or more boots or permanently using the Boot Control
    option after Logon.
    Removing Deep Freeze
    You must first disable or turn off Deep Freeze.
    Logon; hold down the SHIFT key and double click on the Deep Freeze icon on the
    Windows System Tray and the screen below will be displayed. Enter your Password.
    Note:
    you can also use the Hot Key combination CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F6 to access the Login
    screen.
    After entering the password choose the Boot Control Tab as shown in the screen below.
    Select either "Boot Thawed on next" or "Boot Thawed" click on the Set button and reboot
    (restart) the computer.
    After the computer has rebooted the Deep Freeze icon will display a flashing red
    indicating that the computer is Thawed. Go to the Control Panel and select Add/Remove
    Programs and remove Deep Freeze,
    Warning
    Deep Freeze
    MUST
    be removed
    using the standard Windows Add/Remove Programs in the
    Control Panel. If you attempt to remove Deep Freeze "manually" you may create a corrupted
    Deep Freeze installation. Manually removing Deep Freeze could result in the need to format
    your hard drive to get the computer working again.
    Page 5
    Hyper Technologies Inc.
    Page
    Security
    Deep Freeze does not protect against booting to a floppy drive. Your CMOS should be
    configured to prevent booting to the Floppy Drive (i.e. set to boot to the hard drive) and the
    CMOS must be password protected. This is a normal precaution for most public access
    computers. The Windows Registry, the computer CMOS and the boot sector are protected by
    Deep Freeze from within Windows. If you are using an "autoexec.bat" (located in the root
    directory of C:\) there is an additional security problem. This problem is caused by the potential
    of using the keyboard to "break out" to the DOS Prompt while the "autoexec.bat" file is being
    processed. When using Deep Freeze
    Standard
    (see Miscellaneous Options for the
    Professional version) version you can solve this problem in two ways;
    a) Delete or rename the "autoexec.bat" file.
    b) Use the supplied "depfrz.sys" file which is located in the Deep Freeze installation
    directory.
    How to use "depfrz.sys:
    If you installed Deep freeze in the default installation directory,
    place the following line in the "config.sys" file located in the root directory of C:\ drive.
    DEVICE=C:\PROGRA~1\HYPERT~1\DEEPFR~1\depfrz.sys
    Note
    : You can also copy the "depfrz.sys" file from the installation directory into the root
    directory of the C:\ drive and place the following line in the "config.sys" file;
    DEVICE=depfrz.sys
    When using the Deep Freeze
    Professional
    version, the use of an autoexec.bat in Windows
    '95/98 is also a potential security risk as users can use the Keyboard to "break" the processing
    of the autoexec.bat and gain access to the MS-DOS Prompt. To prevent "breaking" of the
    autoexec.bat see Miscellaneous Options under Configuration.
    Have Fun.

U.N.C.L.E. X

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

nadir1 (TechnicalUser) Jul 5, 2002
    Hello

I'm just about to install deep freeze on the rest of the computers in the classroom. I took the software home and tried to bypass it using several conventional methods... but unsuccessful. Has anyone been able to successfully bypass the software, damaged the system software, or encountered any probs w/ it?? Thanks for your info

Nadir
    goku907 (Visitor) Sep 4, 2002
    hey.

I go to a secondary school that uses deep freeze to protect the network. its actually quite annoying, and i have been trying to find a way past it. and i have.... kind of. after a short search, i found the file

http://www.winselect.com/pages/downl...3StdManual.pdf

which give specific instruction for installing deep freeze. it tells you how to gain acess to the password screen, opening the possibility of a BF attack.it also gives instuctions on how to stop people from bypassing deep freeze by using a boot disk or autoexec.bat. so now i know how to bypass deep freeze using a boot disk or autoexec.bat. lol. ok thats all i wanted to say, cya
    Animorph840 (Visitor) Sep 14, 2002
    I go to a school that uses deep freeze, I haven't tried this, but perhaps if you were to boot from a floppy boot disk, run fdisk /mbr, then delete the partitions and make new ones it would probably get rid of it. Another way might be to look for a more technical description of it (try searching for clean slate) and learn how it starts (and presumably starts caching changes) and rewrite that area. Another idea would be to use a low level tool to modify files. One disadvantage of using it is that in win98 if an admin logs on before it's froze, their pwl file is stored indefinatly, thus allowing crackers to get a copy and then reboot to erase the evidence. Using your own software against you.
    Xemus (MIS) Sep 16, 2002
    I am very happy with Deepfreeze. We've been using it here on about 200 computers for a while now with no problems yet.
    Regarding the "boot from floppy" option, password protect your BIOS and set it to boot only from the harddrive. This will also eliminate anyone booting from a CD. If you're trying to lock down a machine, don't leave the BIOS open.
    Regarding the autoexec.bat, (people still use Win98?), Deepfreeze locks everything down quite nicely. My advice would be to adjust your budget to upgrade the OS's. If you can afford Deepfreeze, shouldn't you be able to afford WinXP or Win2k?
    To my knowledge, there is no keyboard shortcut (unlike in Cleanslate) so a bruteforce would be somewhat more difficult.
    Log on as the account that will be using the computer when frozen (user, student, etc.) and delete the profiles of the admins and the .pwl files. Also, in WinXP, clear the "Recent Documents" tab, as this will also clear out the start/run cache. If you use start/run to get to your setup files, this will clear the traces for nosy users who want to look at your server paths.

Jordan MCP, A+
    Assistant Network Administrator
    LadyH (TechnicalUser) Sep 19, 2002
    I work in a community college with over 650 lab machines, and of those lab machines, around 500 are running WindowsXP. Each time we have changed OS, we have looked into alternate means of security that protect the machine, yet enable the instructor freedom to teach anything they want and the student freedom to do what they want without damaging all of our hard work. We began with using Fortress for Win95, CleanSlate for Win98 (worked OK once you got around the software conflicts), and then started using Centurion Guard for Win 2000, and now Xp. I can't begin to tell you how nice it is to work with. No software to configure once the driver install is completed, no software conflicts to worry about. When the device is active, it won't let the system boot from a floppy, although we do set the bios to boot to the hard drive first anyway. The device isn't cheap, but when it comes to the advanced OS and all of the options, it has been well worth it and our college automatically budgets for the devices with each new lab if it is not replacing a lab with the device already in place. Sorry to be long-winded, but the device is definately worth looking into.

PS-the device is totally invisible to the end user--how much better can it be?

Heather

pcheather@yahoo.com

not_linus (Visitor) Sep 20, 2002
    I've looked around for a way to get around Deep freeze and it seems the only good way is the boot disk. If you disable booting from a diskette there are still ways around that. For example, if you don't put a password on your BIOS and some older computers (toshiba laptops come to mind) have special 'key disks'. Also, there was one kid who took off deep freeze in my school. I think he deleted some files and used some tricky fdisk stuff. He wasn't the brightest with computers so... you might want to sit down and play around deleting files and messing with fdisk. I don't know if anyone mentioned this but if you hold ctrl and shift and double click on the deep freeze icon in the systray you get a password prompt.

There is a very simple and effective method for keeping your computers safe. It's called Unix. (Seriously, I'm not trying to Troll or anything.) XP stores the SAM file (all the usernames and passwords) in a world readable directory (c:\system~1\_resto~1, I believe, use DOS) unless they patched it which I don't think they have. I am a die hard linux user and I actually find Windows 2000 to be pretty good. It's not eXtra Pretty and it's fairly stable and very easy to use.
    Have Fun.

U.N.C.L.E. X

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers for the info but the proggy isn't deepfreeze

it's called icon lock

you can tell if it's deepfreeze when you boot up
    and this shows on a blank screen

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

frzstate.exe is part of deepfreeze
    Have Fun.

U.N.C.L.E. X