Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

XBox Widescreen and DVD - PLEASE explain to me...

This is a stupid question and I know so, but it is something that has been bugging me for eons and I just CANNOT work it out, and that is to do with playing DVDs on Widescreen TVs with the XBox.

So ok, let me lay it down first. I have a widescreen TV and it runs several modes which include 16:9, the mode you'd expect to watch Widescreen in, 4:3 which is normal TV mode and Cinema which is like 16:9 but stretches it to the top and bottom to remove black borders that might appear.

However, here is the conundrum, just HOW do I watch my DVDs in proper full screen format on my XBox?

I used to run my DVDs through my PS2 and generally what I had to do was run the DVDs in Cinema mode to get them full screen. A few exceptions like Saving Private Ryan ran in full screen in 16:9 though. But I have my XBox set to widescreen mode under the MS Dashboard and so my games are all Widescreen. However, when I come to run movies, they are running nice and fine in 16:9, but there is a letterbox effect on them. Sticking on Cinema makes it distorted now.

Surely if a movie is running letterbox format it is supposedly widescreen? So why do I see borders on normal 16:9? And why are there borders on 16:9 on my XBox yet my PS2 will run it distorted in 16:9 but fine in Cinema and no borders.

I know what I just wrote is probably confusing, and that is because the whole thing is confusing me! If someone could please clear up this conundrum for me I would forever be in your debt

Thanks for your time and look forward to the replies.

Thanks
    Karma Level

its no confusing but its also happening to me and it seems really annoying soomeone answer soon

Thanks
    Karma Level

not sure if this is your problem but it could be,

there are two types of widescreen 16:9 which is what your telly is. however even this is not as wide as a lot of films are filmed, so what happens is that you can get a "super widescreen" dvd where the aspect ratio is 2.35:1. this results in bars at the top and bottom of even a widescreen telly.

if you want more information a link i just googled for which appears to cover this is: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...reenorama.html

(as always any HC nuts feel free to correct)