Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yup all of em.. with the exception of DMC and/or DOA both u have on cdrip anyways.. :^)

Thanks
    Karma Level

btw.. heres a the page http://www.consolesource.com/tutorials/toc.htm it gives u the basic idea of how big some of the TOC's are.. enjoy... :^)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default CPU Speed reads wrong...cant fix it..

Just installed a new mobo (ECS K7S5A) and CPU (AMD XP 1900, 1600 MHZ)
    when i boot up, bios says AMD 12000Mhz.

i then goto the bios menu/cpu PnP setup/ and chanee the default CPU speed from 100MHZ to 133MHZ. i restart the pc, but the pc does not boot into bios, blank screen. I have to reset the CMOS (by moving jumper), then the bios appears, but it still says 12000 MHZ.

Why cant i get it to 1900 (1600 MHZ)??

ive fix this problem on my other mobo (ECS K7S6A) but making the cpu speed 133MHZ, but this one wont boot up into bios once i do.

I also only have the cpu/video card/memory (which is reads all 256k fine) and keyboard installed only at this time..

**I am using a 235 W Powersupply.. Could this be the problem?

any advice is appreciated... thanks!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: CPU Speed reads wrong...cant fix it..

Originally posted by todd72173
    Just installed a new mobo (ECS K7S5A) and CPU (AMD XP 1900)
    when i boot up, bios says AMD 12000Mhz.

i then goto the bios menu/cpu PnP setup/ and chanee the default CPU speed from 100MHZ to 133MHZ. i restart the pc, but the pc does not boot into bios, blank screen. I have to reset the CMOS (by moving jumper), then the bios appears, but it still says 12000 MHZ.

Why cant i get it to 19000MHZ??

ive fix this problem on my other mobo (ECS K7S6A) but making the cpu speed 133MHZ, but this one wont boot up into bios once i do.

I also only have the cpu/video card/memory (which is reads all 256k fine) and keyboard installed only at this time..

**I am using a 235 W Powersupply.. Could this be the problem?

Also, the pc wont turn off by pressing the power button. It only turns on when the plug is inserted and turns off when the plug is taken out. The power reset button works fine. On the mobo, there is only 1 PIN for the power wire. But my Power wire has 2 Holes. Do i need a power supply wire with 1 pin only??

plez help.. thanks!

first of all, the cpu doesn't run at 1900 MHz, and, have you tried getting the latest bios update? i know with that ecs board you pretty much have to flash the bios to the newest version to get it stable...anyways..thats what i would try.

also...get a new powersupply, get at least a 300, preferably a 400+...

Thanks
    Karma Level

CPU Clock speed should read 1600 MHZ..not 1200 as it says..

I went to the ECS web page/mobo section and found out they have a bios update for "Support AMD New CPU". Im guessing this will fix my problem..

I also fixed the power on problem.(had it in the wrong pins)..

I know i should buy a better PS, but i want to know if its either the Bios update or the 235W ps causing the problem. Im going to flash the bios first to find out.

thanks for your quick response...appreciate it..

Thanks
    Karma Level

flashing not fix it. i flashed bios with latest update and it still says 1200 MHZ. I change the cpu speed to 133MHZ and the bios still wont load, blank screen.

*I know I have to change the CPU Clock speed to 133..but it wont boot...it has to be the 235W powersupply.. Is this correct??

Thanks
    Karma Level

it is the power supply. im almost amazed you got it to boot at 100fsb with a psu that small.

Thanks
    Karma Level

XtasyO.. he said XP1900+ runs at 1600mhz. which is true...

dunno where u have found the 1900mhz info from his posts

Thanks
    Karma Level

i didnt notice heh... some people gotta be honest

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks guys. i will buy a 400w ps 2day from compusa. i thought the ps would mainly be effected after the pc has been on for awhile (it would reboot/freeze/whatever)..but i underestimated the fsb and the power needed. this rig i built 6 years ago and gave it to my bro..im now updating it for him. and yes, i edited my post several times to make it more clearer for ya.. i really appreciate all your help. i was hoping it wasnt a bad cpu/or mobo..now i can get some sleep. thanks again everyone!

Thanks
    Karma Level

todd72173,

That ECS motherboard takes either DDR or SDRAM. Which are you using?

The problem is the FSB. You have the run the FSB at 133MHz to get the correct CPU speed that the XP should be running. If you are running SDRAM, it ain't going to happen. You must use DDR ram.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wyld Tyme, i am running (1) stick of 128MB pc sdram 133 and (1) stick of 128MB pc100 memory. not ddr. i just installed a 300w powersupply and it still does not boot when i change the cpu clock fsb to 133mhz. only works in 100mhz at 1200 mhz. I also just installed the pc133 alone, without the pc100 (thinking it was locking it into 100 fsbmhz). but still same problem..then..

i just called the pc store and the tech said sdram will boot into 133mhz fsb. the memory is not the problem. i really dont feel like buying ddr memory if it wont fix it. so now im stuck. will sdram be causing the problem of my pc not running at 133mhz?

Thanks
    Karma Level

its not the memory. i just put in a stick of 512 DDR 2700 Samsung. it found it fine. went to switch to 133 MHZ cpu, same thing, no bios.

i put the old power supply back in. its not the power either. it is going into the shop. i give up. thanks for your help..if anyone can think of anything else, let me know..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Running memory at 133MHz and running SDRAM with a FSB of 133MHz are two completely different things. That shop doesn't know what they are talking about. I'm still using an older system based on the 100MHz FSB, however my memory is running at 133MHz.

If you are going to run a FSB of 133MHz, you should use DDR ram. As for your problem, sounds like a defective motherboard. Exchange it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah. i understand. but when i put my ddr 2700 pc133 in and it still didnt work, that kind of killed that idea. i dont know if its the board or the cpu. ill find out 2morow from the shop. i cant stand it cuze i never had to resort to going somewhere to fix it, but this problem is odd. i cant return the cpu cuze its past 7 days (but has a 3-year warranty), but i can still return the motherboard (30-days). so i would exchange the mobo first. hopefully it wont be neither cuze its all mail order, a major pain!! thanks for your help

*when i received the motherboard, it was sealed. but when i opened the manual, there was handwriting in it. also, right next to the cpu chip, there was some scratches on the frame of the cpu chip.. it seemed like this was a return. i am now leaning towards a defective mobo.

Thanks
    Karma Level

pc2700 is 166mhz NOT 133mhz.. that's pc2100..

Thanks
    Karma Level

dont listen to wyld tyme, the board will work fine with pc133 ram all the way up to an xp 2600.

check this forum http://pub65.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

SOME revisions had a problem with pc133 ram where it would have problems with 2 sticks installed.

i have 3 k7s5a's here and one of them has 2 generic sticks of pc100 ram and an xp1500 overclocked with 147fsb

Thanks
    Karma Level

Make sure you aren't changing the ratio. The FSB should 133mhz and the ratio should be 11.5x, if it's different than 11.5 that would most likely cause the lock ups.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah this sounds like the multiplier is the problem, set the FSB to 133 and set the multiplier either to 11 or 11.5

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, I had/still have the same problem with my new mobo.

I have a T-Bird at 1.2ghz though, and I was actually able to set my FSB to 133mhz with my old KT7E mobo (and my CPU speed to 1.33ghz (10x133mhz)), but not with my newer A7S333 one.

This one won't let me change the multiplier At All. It's at 12, and that's the only number it'll let me use. Also, my FSB can only go up to about 120mhz (with system lock-ups) and up to 110-115mhz without any problems (apart from getting kinda hot =/). At 133mhz, mine won't let me start my computer either. Oh and, for me, turning it off then back on resets my CPU speed to 1.2 Ghz (12x100mhz), so I don't need to screw around with the jumpers every time.

Anyway, so your problem is most likely not the memory...Which, if it's pc2100, runs at 133mhz FSB, but that means 2x133, thus 266mhz...Which is why it's called DDR (Double Data Rate...2x). Normal SDRAM is usually at 100 or 133mhz.

With anything under an AthlonXP, having SDRAM or DDR "will" work, but the RAM would have to wait for the CPU to finish processing the info before it can send some more, since the CPU runs (usually) at 200mhz (2x100mhz FSB) and the memory runs at 266mhz...So it'll pretty much slow your memory down, which would be my case...If I turn the FSB up for my CPU and run a memory test, I can immediately see an improvement in the transfer speed. (you can use "Sandra" for that)

Now then, AthlonXP's, as far as I know, should have a 133mhz FSB by default (2x133mhz really)...But maybe your mobo doesn't support any combinations involving the wrong multiplier value...Now logically, the default values I think should be 12x133mhz...Which give 1596mhz, so around 1.6ghz.

That's what "you" should set the FSB and multiplier too, and "normally" it "should" work...If not, try 16x100mhz and see what happens. If none of those work, then maybe you simply don't "have" an AthlonXP 1900+ processor, but just a 1.2 gig T-Bird like mine.

...You should really make sure that you have the right thing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast