Close

Thread: graphics card

Thanks
    Karma Level

graphics card

just bought a pci geforce2 mx400 graphics card with tv out ,could someone please tell me how i install this card /i have a e machine 600
    iv'e been told that i must first disable the graphics card which has been allready installed /how do i do this /thanks in advance

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unless someone out there has the same machine as you its unlikely we can tell you excactly how to do this but basically - if you PC has the graphics card built on to the mother board - which you seem to be suggesting then to disable it will either be in the bios or a jumper on the motherboard or both. You can enter the bios by pressing a key repeatedly right at the start when you power your machine on - it may say briefly what the key is

e.g

Press DEL to enter setup

if it doesnt its hard to tell you what it will be - I suggest DEL, F1 or Escape are most likely.

Check all the options in the Bios - dont change anything unless you are sure and save it when you exit - there will be an option to do this. One of the options in there someware will be disable on board VGA or graphics.

If its a jumper on the motherboard I cant help as you need a mother board manual - check manufactures website - infact check there website anyway it may help.

Install the card in a PCI slot and install drivers - bobs your uncle -Now games should speed up a bit.

cheers Ironman

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks mate will try to get my head round it

Thanks
    Karma Level
    Originally posted by westender59
    thanks mate will try to get my head round it

finally managed to install card /thanks a mill mate /
    my next question /is how do i get s.video/tv out to work on my tv

Thanks
    Karma Level

THere should be some instructions with you card on this but its pretty siilar for all cards.

there is a S video socket on the back of the card - connect this to your TVs S video socket using an S video cable - or to the TV SCART socket using a svideo to SCART adapter.

NOTE - you must make the connection first BEFORE you try to send trhe signal as it senses the connection and will not allow it to be sent unless it sees a TV on the end.

Then you go into Control panel > display properties >Settings > advanced - there should be settings here somewhere to change the display you use - on my Nvidia GF4 it is the Nview tab but it varies depending on the drivers you are using.

NOTE - Personally I set the output to CLONE so I can still see it on the monitor and the TV at the same time. ALSO I get problems somtimes when I am watching movies on the TV if I havent set the TV to be the Primary output - You may or may not get this issue but be aware if you get no movie playback.

Cheers
    Ironman