Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Peugeot 405 body panel replacement

Hey,

Has anyone here had any experience with replacing an OSF wing and OSF doors on the older 405s ?

I have a J (92) 405 GTDT saloon - awesome car, but I managed to smash up the OSF wing and door

Door replacement doesn't seem too big a task, but the wing looks like a bitch. I'll be picking up the parts from a scrappers (unless anyone here has the parts in the typical metallic grey colour !)

Any advice ?

Cheers,
    sub.

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.parts4peugeot.com/acatalo...anels_151.html

front wing 16 quid, door skin 35.

sorry, no 405 experience though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, I've used Neat Autos for parts before - highly recommended.

However, I've decided on used parts - mainly because of the costs involved with spraying the primed panels. Plus, there's no chance of me welding a door skin on

Cheers,
    sub.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If I remember right the dors are a real pain to replace because the hinges are welded, which means you have to remove the door pins to take the door off. The problem comes when you put the new door on and find that it's nowhere near a good fit. If it's not too far away you will get away with using the door itself as leverage to pull it up or down into the right position. As for the wings, again, its been a long tme since I did the job, but if memory serves me right, they are bolted on as well as held on with a bonding agent, such as "Sikaflex", which is a feckin nightmare to get off, strong stuff, I'd go as far as to say that once it sets you could remove the bolts and it will NOT move. Best way to remove it is with a hot knife or a stanley blade, but its a pain in the butt either way and will take time, but the good thing is that it'll not matter about any damage you do to the wing trying to remove it, seeing its knackered anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well, I've set a weekend aside to have a good crack at it. I begrude paying a garage to do it

With regard to the 'Sikaflex' type stuff - I wondered what that harderned gunk was ! Can anyone recommend a good bonding agent/weld adhesive and a possible supplier ? I want to make a tidy job out of this.

As for the door, I'll probably persuade a few mates to hold it into position while I sort it out. I'm not going to panic. Yet.

Cheers,
    sub.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You'll get "Sikaflex" or similar at any place that supplies paint and\or panels, "Sikaflex" is a brand name, the same places I mentioned will have alternatives too, but "Sikaflex" is the only one I can vouch for, it's awsome stuff. You could stick a 3 inch square metal plate with a hook attached, onto the back of a car and tow another car with it once its cured, powerful stuff. I'm sure you'll manage the job if you have even a little patience and don't try to rush it on. Removing the door pins on some cars can be very awkward, either due to the fact you can't get access or the fact they tend to sieze into the top and bottom of the hinge. Use a pin removal tool, or, a drift that is EXACTLY the same size as the pin. If its not exactly the same size it will either jam itself inside the pin ( they are usually hollow and have a split along their length) and make the job a nightmare, or, obviously if its too big it'll not even hit the door pin.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well... the front wing arrived (from http://www.rogerwindley.co.uk/ - recommended - the wing arrived well packed, tidy along with the trim and light fitting - at no extra cost !) and I've got some Sikaflex 221.

Presumably I'll have to remove the door anyway to fit the wing.

I should be getting hold of the door later this afternoon (if its the right colour) - but I really can't figure out the damn door/hinge mech. The hinges are different on the Mk2 model (mine is a Mk1 - upto 1992) - as are the pins. The peugeot dealer also said that there are two different revisions of the Mk1 - one has a pin with a large head, one with a small.

A mate of mine took a quick look and he seems to think that they're actually held in place with some sort of torx screw ?!

Any thoughts ?

sub.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

they are torx screws you have to unscrew them and there are spacers that go with them you are better off getting new pins and spacers as there not that dear to replace but a bit of a pig to get out

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for that.

I'd actually just driven down to the local Peugeot dealer - they cleared everything up. When I asked about bushings/spacers, they showed me their 'on screen parts service' which didn't have anything like that.

The pins were only 81p each though

Incidentally, car manuactures should put these databases online, even if they are cut down and subscription only services. It'd help newbie-mechanics like myself.

Oh, and also. Just after I bombed up the wrong entrance to the car park a guy tried flogging me a bailey's dump valve. I didn't think there was any such thing available for the 405 TD's ? He seemed convinced that there was though. Strange.

Thanks everyone for your help, makes a change from being ignored in alt.auto.peugeots

Cheers,
    sub.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

there's no reason why yhou cant fit a dump valve to a diesel turbo but i have been told that there is a valve that sits between the intercooler and injector pump that will give you an instant 30 horsepower lift (from 90 to 120 hp on the 405 gtdt) i don't know a lot about the valve but it costs around 200 quid and from what i have been told about it it behaves in a similar way to a dump valve (without the noise) i will ask the guy who told me about it to explain the next time i see him

i'm pretty sure when i changed the door pins on my 405 (it's the same model as yours 405 gtdt it was only made for a year) i'm convinced there was spacers or a sleeve of sorts but it was a few years ago and i might be thinking of the wrong car

Thanks
    Karma Level

Heh, your only the second person I've found who actually has a GTDT. They're rare as hell - but a feature packed car for the age.

As for the dump valve, I'd be interested if anyone could offer any advice on fitting one to a 405 GTDT. I didn't think it was possible - maybe there just isn't any interest due to the lack of 'boy racer' styling. As for a 30 hp increase, i'd definately be interested

Oh, BTW, the wing/door are on - had to hacksaw off the lower hinge mount (bolt was seized) - but the rest of the job wasn't too taxing. Although it looks like I'll probably have trouble refitting the window regulator.

Thanks again

sub.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

a couple of things to look out for on your 405

on the front wishbones you have 2 bushes a small one at the front mount and a larger one at the back connecting it to the subframe the back one allways goes when they have a few miles on the clock it's not that easy to tell but when you look at it you will see that the rubber has come away from the steel liner they cost about 27 quid each and are well worth replaceing.

another point is the bushes that hold the arms for the back wheels on the axel these wear pretty badly at around 150,000 miles you can tell by looking at the back of the car and seeing if one of the wheels slant more than the other ther will be some slanting but it shouldn't be excessive these cost a 100 quid a side to replace it's cheaper to find a good second hand back axle there quite easy to change unlke the bushes which have to be pressed out

notchy gearboxes comes to mind as well the gate between 3rd n 4th gear starts to wear first it's not a syncromesh thing when changeing down from 4th to 3rd it happens in both directions it's more of an anoyance than anything because it only happens every now and again not all the time

oh and drive shafts go for fun but apart from that there a good car iv'e had mine for 5 years or so now and it's still going strong