Close

Thread: we are doomed

Thanks
    Karma Level

crazy we are doomed

Queen invented phone, pupils say

The man in this picture was first to the Moon, some pupils believe

One in 10 children thinks the Queen invented the telephone, a survey of children's science knowledge suggests. Others gave credit for the invention to Charles Darwin and Noel Edmonds.
    One in 20 of the 1,000 pupils polled thought Star Wars character Luke Skywalker or Richard Branson had been the first to set foot on the Moon.
    Some 60% of nine- and 10-year-olds thought Sir Isaac Newton discovered fire, the survey for science campaign Birmingham Science City found.
    Despite these misconceptions, more children want to win a Nobel prize for science than the X Factor.
    The survey of primary and secondary school children in the UK suggests there is some confusion about key scientific achievements.
    Some of these findings will raise a smile

Dr Pam Waddell
    Birmingham Science City

Just under a half of boys (49%) correctly pinned down gravity as Newton's ground-breaking discovery, compared with 76% of girls.
    Just over a third of boys said Newton discovered fire, while the remaining 16% either said he invented the internet, or discovered the solar system or America.
    Eight out of 10 boys correctly identified Alexander Graham Bell as the inventor of the telephone, compared with 69% of girls.
    Dr Pam Waddell from Birmingham Science City said: "While some of these findings will raise a smile, it suggests that school children aren't tuned into our scientific heroes in the same way that they might be to sporting or music legends."
    She suggested it was clear that primary school children had a real interest in science.
    "In fact, nearly 70% of nine and 10-year-olds would like to be famous for winning a Nobel Prize in science, yet this drops to only 33% among 11 to 15-year-olds.
    "It appears children are losing an interest in science at secondary school, so more needs to be done to excite teenagers about the subject and rekindle some of their early childhood aspirations," she added.
    The poll was carried out online with a panel of 1,000 UK children in early March by OnePoll.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8565258.stm

I wonder when we will officially be told that we are to to be known as Britain and not Great Britain ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: we are doomed

fucking hell think back to when you were 9 and 10, most people wouldn't know all those things then. They have also disguised some of the figures in there.

This type of news really annoys me on other shows it would be known as kids say the funniest things and no one would think anything more about it, this is just someone being bitter and wants to portray all kids are stupid and schools are doing a crap job.

And most importantly it says at the end "The poll was carried out online" its bullshit

rant over
    If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else

Thanks
    Karma Level

Incredible isn't it, this is what 9 and 10 year olds think, and yet some poeple here would hang kids of the same age. Talk about a crazy world

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Incredible isn't it, this is what 9 and 10 year olds think, and yet some poeple here would hang kids of the same age. Talk about a crazy world

Aye, I'd pull the lever myself. If they don't know who invented the telephone, they deserve to swing IMO
    Cheers - Coin-Op

Thanks
    Karma Level

I rang Mr Bell to congratulate him on his invention, and he said "Where the hell are you calling from?"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Actually looking at the picture in the original article reminds me of my own nephew.

A couple of years ago, at the age of 16, I was asking him if he knew who Quasimodo was. His older sister loaded with "A" levels certainly didn't, but his reply was " Yeah, wasn't he the one in Star Wars ".

It's a sad world we live in.

When talking about Gaelic the same niece spouted " Oh, do gays have their own language then ? " and she was bloody serious.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm sorry but when I was 10 years old our schooling was pretty tough and I'd have known the answers to all that - and so would most of my class.

What kind of inner city, glue sniffing, chav fuck fest did you guys goto if you think that that stuff was difficult ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Are you still going on about them little shits

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    What kind of inner city, glue sniffing, chav fuck fest did you guys goto if you think that that stuff was difficult ?
    That pretty much sums up my school.
    If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganty View Post
    I rang Mr Bell to congratulate him on his invention, and he said "Where the hell are you calling from?"
    Why ring Mr Bell? He didn't invent the phone - he STOLE the patent. Bloody kids of today ;-)