Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Returning a defective hard drive slightly before 6 month

does anyone know the crack here, I did a hard drive replacement for a friend, almost 6 months ago, around 10.09.09 to be precise.. I remember at the time giving them the option of buying a new drive (with warranty) or a used drive.. they chose new.

So I bought the drive from a local supplier, fitted it and all was well.. until about a week ago when they rang to say computer not starting.

So I go out and discover the hard drive is as dead as a door-nail - and they reminded me we got it new and produced the receipt.. great..

So I took it to the shop and left it for them to 'diagnose'.. they've only just got back to me saying their supplier doesn't have the same capacity drive (250gb) and offered a 500gb for an extra £26

The thing is, with the price already paid and the extra £26 this would amount to more than they sell 500gb's for anyways - so this has pissed me off..

The guy on the phone kept going on about the current value of the old drive, so I told him I wasn't interested.. I paid an ammount, I am within warranty period.. the value is the price I paid so far as I am concearned..

He then begun to say something about how long ago the drive was initially bought.. after 6 months blah blah blah.. and to be honest I interupped him and said I'll get back to them..

The drive was bought 10.9.09 and I took it back 25.2.10, my math isn't all that good, but isn't that 5m 15d - technically within 6 months?

Can anyone straighten this out for me.. do they have a right to say the drive is only worth x now? I reolise they haven't got stock, but for them to say you've had it x months and it's only worth x.. well, that has pissed me off - I shall be thinking very hard next time I need a part quickly..

Thanks for any guidance
    Sent from my PC using a keyboard

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Returning a defective hard drive slightly before 6 month

Tell them you will only accept full refund, like for like swap, or swap for a better model (as agreed by yourself). Anything less is a pisstake, and I suspect these are your rights under the Sale of Goods Act.

Thanks
    Karma Level

you could send it back to the manufacturer and they will replace it with a refurb one or stick to your guns with the shop and try for a new one
    If at first you don't succeed, then sky-diving's not for you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

to be honest, I'm not sure weather I want to be continue doing business with them, there's another place not too far away - I'd rather get the money and give the other company my business.

I just want to be sure about their remark about the drive losing value, I can't see how this works.. I have a receipt which proves i paid an amount - it's not as if I'm trying to sell it back to them.. the thing is defective...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yup, they are trying it on mate... You are entitled to exactly what Carl has stated, and tell them if they don't adhere, they can deal with Trading Std's.

Here: (Source: http://whatconsumer.co.uk/returning-...-faulty-goods/)

Returning Damaged or Faulty Goods

The Sale of Goods Act covers the purchase of most things from shops, suppliers and online or mail order retailers. It also details the retailers obligations in situations where you have to return an item to them take on the basis that it is damaged or faulty – or both. Your statutory rights

One of your principal statutory rights is the expectation that the item will be of reasonable quality. This also includes fitness for purpose specified, appearance and finish, freedom from minor blemishes, safety and durability. The failure of the product to meet any one of these criteria is a breach in your statutory rights, enabling you to go back to the retailer, even after some months of use.
    The retailer’s obligations

If there is an obvious fault with the item at any time within the first 6 months and it has not been caused by wear and tear or misuse, your first port of call must be the shop you bought it from. They have the responsibility to put the matter right, and should not evade this responsibility by referring you to the manufacturer in the context of a guarantee or warranty.
    In the first instance and if considered appropriate, the seller must offer to at least repair the goods. They must do this within reasonable time, at no additional cost to you and without causing any significant inconvenience. If any inconvenience is caused you should be given a replacement item on a ‘like for like’ basis (and not simply the cheapest and most basic model). Many consumer complaints relate to the length of time the item is away being repaired – and although you must allow reasonable time for repair, the law does not say what ‘reasonable time’ is. It very much depends on the item itself and the nature of the problem. For most things, shops would usually allow you to exchange the item or give you your money back straight away. However, if the damage is minor and can be repaired easily, then the shop can insist on this as a first option, although this will not stop you from taking it back if the repair is unsatisfactory or there is something else wrong with it.
    If a repair is impossible or unfeasible, you must then be offered a replacement. Due to the emphasis on proportionality in this legislation, you must give the seller reasonable time to repair or replace before demanding your money back and you should be aware that any refund given may well take account of any use you have had of the goods since you took possession of them. If you do not want the seller to repair or replace, or they have told you they are unable to, you can then request they reduce the purchase price to an appropriate amount, although this does not affect your ability to take return the item if something else goes wrong.

------------------------------------

Your calulations are correct, you're still within your 6 month window as you had till 10th March to notify them, which you did....

Take the above excerpt to the cretin, put it in front of him along with a calendar and a calculator and tell him to retake 4th year maths after he's given you a full refund.
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

you could use that argument right back at them. if a 250 gb drive is worth less now than when you bought it then they are still on a winner if they replace it and send the old one back to their supplier rather than give you a refund which would lose them a bit more money, that would get your m8 up and running
    If at first you don't succeed, then sky-diving's not for you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neo2810 View Post
    If you do not want the seller to repair or replace, or they have told you they are unable to, you can then request they reduce the purchase price to an appropriate amount, although this does not affect your ability to take return the item if something else goes wrong.

doesn't that back his statement up though?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats a load of crap, the item doesnt lose value because the market changes, Im sure as hell they wouldnt refund you more if the product went up in price.

I did a very similar return to this only last week (ebuyer) 500gig IDE drive packed up, sent it back, no stock of any 500g IDE drives in (or ever going to be in) so they offered me the value I originally paid to use to get a new drive and I got a 1tb SATA drive for the same cash.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks very much lads - I thought as much, but the cnut on the other end of the phone was very confident and could definitely talk the talk..

I have left some reviews on the sites which come up when you google the company name..

trying to profit from my misfortune, tsk tsk tsk
    Last edited by Possy_99; 18th March 2010 at 01:23 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

..hmm, you know guys, I've been reading the consumer direct website and it would seem that his argument may hold some weight??

When can I get a refund? When will I be entitled to only a repair or replacement?

If you are returning goods that are not of satisfactory quality or not as described and you return them within a reasonable period of time you may be entitled to ask for a full refund. If you have had some use from the goods or have had them for a while before you take them back you could ask for a repair or a replacement item. You, as the consumer, have the option of which solution you would like, however you must not require the trader to repair or replace the goods if this would be too costly, as compared to another remedy.

If a repair or replacement is not possible for the trader to provide, then you may be entitled to a reduction in the price of the goods to reflect the use up to that point or a refund. These remedies exist alongside the remedies available to you under the general law to terminate the contract for breach of condition and obtain a full refund.

Any remedy that is carried out by the trader must be carried to be within a reasonable time for the consumer and without causing significant inconvenience.
    http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/aft...nowyourrights/

and I've also just spotted this which is part of the quote from neo above, but I seemed to have missed this bit the first time I read it...

Returning Damaged or Faulty Goods

The Sale of Goods Act covers the purchase of most things from shops, suppliers and online or mail order retailers. It also details the retailers obligations in situations where you have to return an item to them take on the basis that it is damaged or faulty – or both. Your statutory rights

One of your principal statutory rights is the expectation that the item will be of reasonable quality. This also includes fitness for purpose specified, appearance and finish, freedom from minor blemishes, safety and durability. The failure of the product to meet any one of these criteria is a breach in your statutory rights, enabling you to go back to the retailer, even after some months of use.
    The retailer’s obligations

If there is an obvious fault with the item at any time within the first 6 months and it has not been caused by wear and tear or misuse, your first port of call must be the shop you bought it from. They have the responsibility to put the matter right, and should not evade this responsibility by referring you to the manufacturer in the context of a guarantee or warranty.

In the first instance and if considered appropriate, the seller must offer to at least repair the goods. They must do this within reasonable time, at no additional cost to you and without causing any significant inconvenience. If any inconvenience is caused you should be given a replacement item on a ‘like for like’ basis (and not simply the cheapest and most basic model). Many consumer complaints relate to the length of time the item is away being repaired – and although you must allow reasonable time for repair, the law does not say what ‘reasonable time’ is. It very much depends on the item itself and the nature of the problem. For most things, shops would usually allow you to exchange the item or give you your money back straight away. However, if the damage is minor and can be repaired easily, then the shop can insist on this as a first option, although this will not stop you from taking it back if the repair is unsatisfactory or there is something else wrong with it.

If a repair is impossible or unfeasible, you must then be offered a replacement. Due to the emphasis on proportionality in this legislation, you must give the seller reasonable time to repair or replace before demanding your money back and you should be aware that any refund given may well take account of any use you have had of the goods since you took possession of them. If you do not want the seller to repair or replace, or they have told you they are unable to, you can then request they reduce the purchase price to an appropriate amount, although this does not affect your ability to take return the item if something else goes wrong.
    http://whatconsumer.co.uk/returning-...-faulty-goods/

..thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by Possy_99; 18th March 2010 at 02:31 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Start a negative ad campaign. For the few quid they will save by not refunding you the full amount, you can severly fuck with their rep. I know what I'd do as a trader...
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

oh I have m8, started off leaving reviews on sites which come up when you google the company, may try and take advange of social networking sites also..

this is the first I've heard of this, I wonder if it's not common because retailers know it's not worth the hastle for them, or they just don't know about it themselves...

he may win the battle, but I'll give him a bloody good war!

Thanks
    Karma Level

heard nothing from the company yet, but I'm seeing some reviews have been added where I posted mine, I suspect by the company themselves...

so I was just wondering, If I prepare a factual account of their returns policy based on my experience, and stand outside their shop giving them out - would they be able to (legally) do anything about it?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Start a facebook campaign... It fucked X-Factor, it could fuck them too...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i brought one from pcworld on the 18th december, while it was on special offer, it failed last week, took it back and they said the offer had finished and the price had gone backup to £53.99 i think it was, the said they would have still swapped it regardless of price, but only had a pre-owned one (un-used wrong size purchased in eror) and gave me 10% off the price that i paid,

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I say name and shame them, rather like the computer place near us that czar did a wind up call to and recorded it a while back. he rang them up saying the pc had blown up and without even looking at it they said it was a power surge and fook all they could do lol.

name em and shame em

on your question, they need to send the hard drive off to manufacturers because its the SHOPS RESPONSIBILITY and get it replaced for you. if they dont ring trading standards asap.

they are trying to get you to buy a 500gb hard drive for their retail costs, then they will swap the old drive with manufacturers and then sell it on themselves so they are on a win win situation.
    A wise man once said " "

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

ps: post the review page im sure 44,000 df members can leave a nice review each
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Detector View Post
    ps: post the review page im sure 44,000 df members can leave a nice review each

ha ha, love it.

The company is proabbly well known in the north-east as there's only a handful of 'descent' places (even less now obviously) they're called Computer Orbit..

here's the review pages that are on the first page of google results..

http://uk.local.yahoo.com/Tyne_and_W...3-e-20928.html

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?...ed=0CBoQnQIwAw

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?...ed=0CB0QnQIwBA

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?...ed=0CCAQnQIwBQ

http://www.touchnewcastle.com/business/list/bid/2098125 (this is the one which I rekon the staff have posted a follow up to, too much of a coincidence.. so if you hit just one, make it this one then at least they'll see it)

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/379745-C...rbit-Gateshead

http://www.ciao.co.uk/computerorbit_co_uk__5111755

http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/co...-13236282.html

according to consumer direct they have 'reasonable time' to get replacement, which is wide open to interpretation..
    Last edited by Possy_99; 25th March 2010 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: Returning a defective hard drive slightly before 6 month

Possy I've PM'ed you the home address and telephone number of the Director. Its a family concern.

They are not registered as a data controller in accordance with the data protection act. This is a criminal offence under section 21of the Act.

From April the maximum fine increases to £500,000 for those who fail to register.

You can check here :-

http://www.ico.gov.uk/ESDWebPages/Se...&Registration=

Data Protection Act
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1998..._19980029_en_4
    Last edited by JonEp; 25th March 2010 at 07:52 PM.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

A wise man once said " "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast