AMD XP2100+
    abit kg7 lite
    512mb mushkin 2100 "value memory"
    santa cruz sound card
    ati 9700 pro [sapphire oem]
    400+ watt power supply
    BIOS - AGP set to 2x or 4x - doesn't matter
    AGP Fastwrite set to ON or OFF - doesn't matter

This is the only game this happens on. All other games [other than Bandits Phoenix Rising which reboots system if run at 1024x768] run fine.

After applying the fix, finally able to get the damn thing to run. However, the video locks up in 2-3 second intervals during the "thugs attacking the priest", while looking at the priest from atop the ruins [next to the church], and walking in the area with the pigs. During the "thug attack" movie, the sound clip continues and the video picks up to match the sound clip.

After quitting Hitman 2, WindowsXP freezes and task manager shows HitMan2 sucking up 25.2MB of system resources. After about 5 seconds, hitman2 disappears from task manager and WindowsXP unfreezes.

My guesstimation is this is an ATI driver issue as changing the ini file to use the opengl render removes the lockups [however, the game crashes after about 10 minutes of play].

A little more info that might help troubleshoot this issue:

3dmark 2001 SE - rotating horse - briefly stops every few seconds. Doesn't crash 3dmark.

frohicky

9700 2.3 cats, no lockups.. plays fine with all details up.

fro.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My game randomly crashes too. I have a GeForce4 Ti4200 gfx card. I dunno if this is Eidos's fault or Razor's, FLT's, mine (most likely) but I'd like to know if anyone else is having problems. I am running the FLT crack off the razor rls.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought Hitman 2 a few days ago ( because Razors didnt work.. LOL) ne ways I got a p4 1.8ghz, geforce 3, turtle beach santa cruz on windows xp and the only problems i have is with the music/some sounds in the game either being to low or not playing at all, graphics on the other hand are just fine, any 1 else having problems with Hitman 2 sound?

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes the game works fine but once in awhile it will just suddenly quit to the desktop....no error or nuttin

it did this when i tried to load a saved game and it also did it randomly when i was playin...im already on the 6th or 7th level and it quit to the desktop about 3 or 4 times total.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Most of the lockups that have been reported have been from SOUND problems. To see if its sound thats causing it do this

Start > Run > Type in Dxdiag

Go to the sound tab and turn down the hardware acceleration one notch. If it locks up again then crank it down another notch. If you turn sound hardware acceleration all the way down and get lockups still, then it must be your video card or some other issue. Most of the drops back to the desktop have been fixed by turning down the sound acceleration from people who had problems at Nforce.nl

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by venom4911
    yes the game works fine but once in awhile it will just suddenly quit to the desktop....no error or nuttin

it did this when i tried to load a saved game and it also did it randomly when i was playin...im already on the 6th or 7th level and it quit to the desktop about 3 or 4 times total.
    Same here.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Sound Acceleration....

Follow Travisw111's suggestions if you have random crash to the desktop. I have two system which both quit to the desktop durring gameplay. Took down the sound acceleration down one notch, which for me was enought to resolve the problem. Last time I had to d*ck with sound acceleration was 1602 AD!

Thanks Travisw111!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure if this will work for others, but it seemed to take care of the 3-5 second lockups on my system:

Run Hitman configuration - uncheck Full Screen.

BTW - tried notching down sound acceleration - no change.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ATI Radeon 9700 here full details game plays fine, im on level 3 at the moment

Thanks
    Karma Level

Geforce 4 ti4200 30.82 drivers no probs here.

Thanks
    Karma Level

aint had no probs with 9700+hitman 2 yet
    playing in WinXP+sp1 with the 2.3 7.77 cataclist drivers

Thanks
    Karma Level

2.3 7.77 drivers.. are those "unofficial" .. the ones i got is Driver Build 6.13.10.6166? from ati's driver page....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Ballistic
    2.3 7.77 drivers.. are those "unofficial" .. the ones i got is Driver Build 6.13.10.6166? from ati's driver page....
    From the ati page:

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4081.html

This driver replaces the D3D patch that was posted on 9/10. It is the internal version of 7.77. Even if you already have the D3D patch installed, you should still install this driver.

RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB - Direct3D games experience hangs or display corruption

This issue affects RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB using CATALYST™ 02.2 and CATALYST™ 02.3 under Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.
    The system may lock up or display corruption in certain scenes when playing the following Direct3D games:

Battlefield 1942
    Mafia
    The Thing
    To resolve this issue install the appropriate display driver for your OS:

Windows XP, Windows 2000 - wxp-w2k-radeon-6-13-10-6178.exe
    Windows 98/ME - wme-radeon-4-13-01-9066.exe

NOTE: These display drivers

replace the 3D driver patch that was posted as a workaround to the problem described here
    are Microsoft Certified on Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows Millenium for RADEON 9700 Series graphics adapters
    are internal version 7.77-020911x1-005863C-ATI
    include ATI Advanced Control Panels
    includes support for all languages

INFO-BASE# 4081

KEYWORDS: RADEON 9700 for PC HANGS DISPLAY CORRUPTION MAFIA THE THING BATLEFIELD 1942

they work fine for me

Thanks
    Karma Level

Problem resolved.

Ran memtest86 - encountered numerous errors at the end of test #5. Switched memory modules and also tried running with just 1 module at a time - same errors.

Stopped by the local comp shop and picked up an MSI KT3 Ultra2 board - left out the santa cruz card - 1000% improvement [6 channel AC97 on board sound is actually better than the Santa Cruz card]. Can run Hitman2 in full screen without any problems. Also - no 5 second "freeze" when quitting the game.

Ran memtest86 with new setup - no errors.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by venom4911

im usin gimpsrus noCD crack right now and it hasnt crashed to desktop anymore....just thought id let ya all know

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Starship Trooper
    ----Snip---
    Cheers mate... will test tonight